Senior Communications Manager
WRF Hosts New Overtime Regulations Compliance Workshop
On May 19, 2004, Wiley Rein & Fielding’s Employment & Labor group hosted a Compliance Workshop. The workshop provided an overview of the Department of Labor’s new overtime regulations under the Fair Labor Standards Act and how companies may need to reclassify employees under the "white collar" exemptions include the Executive, Administrative, Professional Outside Sales and Computer Employees.
The new regulations are the first modification to the salary and duties tests inmore than50 years and are intended to modify and simplify the regulations.
The regulations are scheduled to be effective August 23, 2004, and Tammy McCutchen, Administrator of the Wage and Hour Division, has stated that the regulations will be vigorously enforced after the effective date. Accordingly, it is important that companies take steps to bring their workplace into compliance before the effective date of the regulations.
For a copy of the materials, please contact us at or 202.719.7299.
Topics Covered Include:
- Salary Level Test
- Salary Basis Test
- Fee Basis Test
- Primary Duty
- Executive Exemption
- Administrative Exemption
- Professional Exemption – Learned Professional
- Professional Exemption – Creative Professional
- Computer Employees
- Outside Sales Exemption
- Highly Compensated Employees
- Non-Compliance with the FLSA and Its Penalties
- New Regulations and State Wage and Hour Laws
- What Should an Employer Do?
- Comparison of Current and Revised Duties Test
- Regulation Self-Audit Questionnaire