Product Stewardship and Recycling
Wiley Rein professionals rank among the world's preeminent authorities on safety, stewardship, and energy efficiency issues associated with portable electric products, televisions, computers, batteries, and other equipment.
Group chair David B. Weinberg serves as Washington counsel for Battery Council International (BCI), General Counsel of the Portable Rechargeable Battery Association (PRBA), General Counsel of Call2Recycle, Inc. and General Counsel of the Electronic Manufacturers Recycling Management Company (MRM). The practice's regulatory analysts monitor worldwide legislative and regulatory developments that might influence manufacturers, marketers, and the commercial users of those products. The team advocates appropriate changes in governmental policies, whether in Washington, DC, individual U.S. states, Brussels, Geneva, Tokyo, or Beijing.
The group also counsels companies on product labeling and safety and registration requirements, and plays a leading role in addressing product stewardship and recycling issues.
- Almost three dozen states have adopted statutes supporting lead acid battery recycling;
- The EPA amended Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA) regulations to foster the recycling of such purportedly hazardous products as nickel-cadmium batteries;
- The Federal Mercury Containing and Rechargeable Battery Act was enacted in 1996; and
- Successful industry-sponsored spent-battery and electronic waste management programs have been implemented (and are expanding) across the nation.
Representative Recent Experience
- Organizing and incorporating joint venture of three major TV manufacturers to supply electronic waste recycling services; provides legal framework for programs now operating nationwide.
- Providing legal advice underlying the establishment and implementation of the programs of Call2Recycle, Inc., which,between 1994 and 2014, collected over 100 million pounds of used batteries in the U.S. and Canada and recycled their contents.
- Moniting and addressing domestic and international legislative and regulatory developments affecting various segments of the battery and electronics industries involving battery collection and recycling developments in North America, Europe, Asia, and Latin America.
|Raleigh Davis||Regulatory Analystemail@example.com||Download vCard|
|Tracy Heinzman||Partnerfirstname.lastname@example.org||Download vCard|
|Saskia Mooney||Senior Regulatory Analystemail@example.com||Download vCard|
|David B. Weinberg||Partnerfirstname.lastname@example.org||Download vCard|
News & Insights
News & Insights
- June 2015 | Newsletter
- June 2015 | Newsletter
- May 29, 2013 | Press Release
- March 26, 2013 | ArticleCharging Ahead: California Battery Charger System Standards Go Into Effect; DOE Considers Revising Its Proposal; Washington State Considers Rules
- November 1, 2012 | Press Release
- October 3, 2012 | Mexico City, Mexico | EventThe SLAB industry in North AmericaCEC Workshop on Spent Lead-Acid Battery Recycling in North America (SLABs)
- August 1, 2012 | Media MentionE&E Reporter
- June 8, 2012 | Press Release
- May 8, 2012 | Media MentionBatteries International
- November 1, 2011 | Press Release
- November 2011 | ArticleThe Metropolitan Corporate Counsel Vol. 19, No. 11
- October 24, 2011 | Detroit, MI | EventThe Battery Show 2011
- September 7, 2011 | Nanjing | EventLead Battery Environmental Healthy & Safety Summit
- August 30, 2011 | Press Release
- June 27, 2011 | Orlando, FL | EventAn International and U.S. Regulatory and Legislative UpdateEnergy Battery Group Annual Meeting
- June 10, 2011 | Press Release
- May 26, 2011 | Barcelona | EventU.S. Lead Battery Developments UpdateEUROBAT Annual Meeting
- May 2, 2011 | Miami, FL | EventAn International and U.S. Regulatory and Legislative UpdateBattery Council International Annual Convention
- September 15, 2010 | Press Release
- August 4, 2010 | Press Release
- January 20, 2010 | Press Release
- September 14, 2009 | Press Release
- June 12, 2009 | Press Release
- February 20, 2009 | Press Release
- December 31, 2008 | Press Release
- November 11, 2008 | Press Release
- June 18, 2008 | Press Release
- February 28, 2008 | Press Release
- September 21, 2007 | Press Release
- September 18, 2007 | Press Release
- June 20, 2007 | Press Release
- March 13, 2007 | Press Release
- April 18, 2006 | Press Release
- August 26, 2005 | Press Release
- March 1, 2005 | Press Release
- February 1, 2005 | Press Release