- Bid Protests
- Corporate Issues, Mergers & Acquisitions, and Due Diligence
- Cost Accounting and Cost Allowability
- Crisis Management for Government Contractors
- Data Rights and Protection of Contractor Trade Secrets
- Employment Issues in Government Contracting
- Ethics Advice & Compliance Audits and Plans
- Expeditionary Contracting in the Mideast and Southwest Asia
- Export Controls, Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, Buy American Act, and Trade Agreement Act
- Government Claims and Terminations
- GSA Schedule and Commercial Item Contracts
- Health Care Contracting
- Internal Investigations and False Claims Act
- Regulatory and Legislative Counseling
- Requests for Equitable Adjustment, Claims, and Disputes Litigation
- Small Business
- State and Local Procurement Law
- Suspension and Debarment
- Teaming Arrangements, Strategic Alliances, and Subcontracting
Teaming Arrangements, Strategic Alliances, and Subcontracting
Wiley Rein Government Contracts attorneys routinely counsel clients on issues relating to the formation of teaming agreements, joint ventures subcontracts, strategic alliances, and associate contractor relationships. Our attorneys analyze and draft agreements between and among government contractors, focusing on key issues such as due diligence, the protection of proprietary information, rights in data and intellectual property, funding and payment, antitrust implications and pitfalls, dispute resolution, and affiliation concerns for small businesses.
We have the capability and experience to assist contractors at the outset of a contracting arrangement to ensure that the risks associated with performance are identified and mitigated. Additionally, if a relationship sours or negotiations fail, we help our clients navigate the aftermath.
We advise clients regarding the legal form of joint ventures, taking into account the duties the venturers are willing to undertake to each other, the liabilities from which they wish to isolate other business operations, how they will share management responsibilities, and what restrictions they are willing to accept on their business operations outside the venture. We also assist clients in developing exit strategies from joint ventures and dispute resolution mechanisms that allow them to continue to perform the joint venture’s contracts while resolving disputes.
Representative experience includes:
- Represented subcontractor in a dispute with a prime contractor over key terms of a multi-year, multi-million-dollar subcontract for the U.S. Air Force, including an injunctive action in Texas state court and extensive negotiations resulting in successful restructuring of the subcontract.
- Represented major information technology contractor in forming a joint venture with a large defense contractor to provide comprehensive network management and other professional services under a classified contract.
- Negotiated the termination of a long-term teaming agreement, including a settlement on behalf of a major shipbuilding client.
- Represented a Fortune 100 government contractor in the formation of a joint venture with two other contractors to perform a fuel services contract to support an air base located in the Middle East.
- Represented a large health insurance entity in the formation and financing of a joint venture with a medical services corporation in connection with the provision of services and support for the entity’s service benefit plan under the Federal Employees Health Benefits Program (FEHB).
- Litigated a multi-million-dollar case in Texas state and federal courts concerning allegations of trade secret misappropriation, tortious interference, and breach of contract levied by a major defense contractor.
- Obtained injunctive relief in federal court enjoining use of proprietary information by a former teaming partner.
- Litigated a Virginia state court action involving allegations of improper employee “raiding,” breach of a teaming agreement, and theft of trade secrets.
- Assisted a subcontractor in favorably resolving a dispute with its prime contractor over Service Level Agreement (SLA) penalties allegedly owed in connection with a major IT outsourcing contract.
*Not admitted to the DC bar. Supervised by the principals of the firm.
News & Insights
News & Insights
- May 6, 2014 | Alert
- January 8, 2014 | Alert
- October 23, 2013 | Laurel, MD | EventRecent Developments in Small Business Contracting and Implementation of the 2010 Small Business Jobs Act: New Opportunities (and Risks) for Small and Large BusinessNational Contract Management Association Free State Chapter Breakfast Meeting
- July 19, 2013 | AlertSBA Final Rule Attempts to Prevent the Use of “Bait and Switch” Tactics with Small Business Subcontractors
- May 21, 2013 | Alert
- May 17, 2013 | AlertEnforceable Contract or Unenforceable Agreement to Agree? The Importance of Specificity in Teaming Agreements
- November 8, 2012 | ArticleGovernment Contracts Law360
- November 1, 2012 | Press Release
- June 12, 2012 | Press Release
- June 7, 2012 | Press Release
- April 27, 2012 | Press Release
- April 18, 2012 | Press Release
- February 7, 2012 | Media MentionGovernment Contracts Law360
- February 1, 2012 | Press Release
- January 3, 2012 | Press Release
- November 23, 2011 | Press Release
- June 13, 2011 | Press Release
- June 10, 2011 | Press Release
- May 3, 2011 | Press Release
- March 17, 2011 | Alert
- March 11, 2011 | ArticleLaw360
- March 2, 2011 | Press Release
- February 23, 2011 | Washington, DC | EventWest Government Contracts Year in Review Conference
- February 15, 2011 | Press Release
- February 1, 2011 | Washington, DC | EventKnowing How the Government Is Applying the False Claims Act and Other Civil and Criminal Statutes to Battlefield SituationsAmerican Conference Institute
- January 1, 2011 | Washington, DC | EventIssues Related to Corporate MonitorsAmerican Bar Association
- December 29, 2010 | Press Release
- October 19, 2010 | Press Release
- June 14, 2010 | Press Release
- May 13, 2010 | Press Release
- April 30, 2010 | Press Release
- November 24, 2009 | Press Release
- September 14, 2009 | Press Release
- July 7, 2009 | Press Release
- June 16, 2009 | Press Release
- June 12, 2009 | Press Release
- June 4, 2009 | Press Release
- March 10, 2009 | Press Release
- December 31, 2008 | Press Release
- June 23, 2008 | Press Release
- February 29, 2008 | Press Release
- December 31, 2007 | Press Release
- October 29, 2007 | Press Release
- September 18, 2007 | Press Release
- June 20, 2007 | Press Release
- April 9, 2007 | Press Release
- March 13, 2007 | Press Release
- September 14, 2006 | Press Release
- June 8, 2006 | Press Release
- June 2, 2006 | Press Release
- January 10, 2006 | Press Release
- October 12, 2005 | Press Release
- March 29, 2005 | Press Release
- December 6, 2004 | Press Release
- November 2, 2004 | Press Release
- May 20, 2002 | Press Release
- January 31, 2002 | Press Release
- February 27, 2001 | Press Release
- December 22, 2000 | Press Release
- August 29, 2000 | Press Release