With climate change presenting emerging legal challenges for companies in many different industry sectors, Wiley Rein has taken a leading position in offering legislative and regulatory capabilities to clients on climate change and global warming issues. Members of the firm have testified on Capitol Hill and presented proposals at domestic and international conferences. We have been deeply involved in all aspects of the policy debate surrounding this complex issue, on both the national and international level, and combine our policy skills with extensive unmatched experience in related existing programs under the Montreal Protocol (ozone depletion), Clean Air Act (CAA) (ozone depletion), establishment of national ambient air quality standards, enforcement of preconstruction review, acid rain control, and various California programs and initiatives.
Wiley Rein assists companies in assessing and mitigating potential governmental burdens associated with controls on greenhouse gas emissions through both legislative and regulatory routes. This includes representing the nation's largest steel manufacturer and other companies and trade associations on legislative and administrative policy issues relating to climate change, particularly ongoing participation in the legislative process, U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) rule-makings, and related activities. We also counsel clients on how to take advantage of the business opportunities that proposals in this arena may present. Our knowledge of existing emission/allowance systems and international trade law gives us an advantage in assisting clients with issues relating to the development and implementation of cap-and-trade programs for greenhouse gas emissions at the federal, state, and international levels. In addition, we advise on requirements concerning control of refrigerants, notably providing successful representation to one of the nation's largest bakers in a major CAA refrigerant enforcement case.
In addition, businesses are increasingly interested in using voluntary offsets and production improvements to market their products and their companies as environmentally responsible and "carbon neutral." We provide counsel to companies on voluntary carbon offsets, renewable energy certificates, energy efficiency programs, and the legal limits of environmental advertising and marketing.
Bolstering the efforts of our environmental lawyers is a legislative policy team that includes Charles Owen Verrill, Jr. and Alan H. Price, noted international law authorities.
News & Insights
News & Insights
- October 2, 2015 | ArticleLaw360
- October 2013 | ArticleObama’s Climate Action Plan 2013: Gridlock in Congress and Other Challenges Ahead for McCarthy and the EPAThe Metropolitan Corporate Counsel Vol. 21, No. 10
- November 1, 2012 | Press Release
- August 1, 2012 | Media MentionE&E Reporter
- June 8, 2012 | Press ReleaseChambers USA Ranks David B. Weinberg Among the Best Environmental Lawyers in Washington, DC for Six Years in a Row
- May 8, 2012 | Media MentionBatteries International
- November 1, 2011 | Press Release
- September 21, 2011 | ArticleAdvisen
- July 18, 2011 | Media MentionThe Federalist Society SCOTUScast
- June 27, 2011 | Orlando, FL | EventAn International and U.S. Regulatory and Legislative UpdateEnergy Battery Group Annual Meeting
- June 20, 2011 | Article
- June 13, 2011 | ArticleLaw360
- June 10, 2011 | Press Release
- May 26, 2011 | Barcelona | EventU.S. Lead Battery Developments UpdateEUROBAT Annual Meeting
- April 27, 2011 | Media MentionThe Federalist Society SCOTUScast
- April 19, 2011 | Media MentionBloomberg Law Podcast
- April 18, 2011 | ArticleThe Christian Science Monitor
- April 2011 | ArticleAre Nuisance Lawsuits to Address Climate Change Justiciable in the Federal Courts? Global Warming at the Supreme CourtEngage: The Journal of The Federalist Society
- September 15, 2010 | Press ReleaseU.S. News & World Report and "Best Lawyers" Rate Seven Wiley Rein Practices among the Nation's and Region's Best
- January 20, 2010 | Press Release
- September 14, 2009 | Press Release
- June 12, 2009 | Press Release
- March 17, 2009 | Press Release
- February 20, 2009 | Press Release
- December 31, 2008 | Press Release
- November 11, 2008 | Press Release
- June 18, 2008 | Press ReleaseChambers USA Names Wiley Rein's Environment & Safety Practice Chair David B. Weinberg a "Leading Lawyer"
- June 20, 2007 | Press ReleaseWiley Rein’s Chemicals, Safety & Environment Practice Chair David Weinberg Recognized as a "Leading Lawyer"
- February 1, 2005 | Press Release