- Communications Appellate & Litigation
- Class Actions and Complex Multi-Jurisdiction Litigation
- Enforcement of Arbitration Clauses
- Federal Preemption
- First Amendment/Commercial Speech
- Judicial Review of Agency Action
- National Security Issues
- Rights-of-Way Litigation and Counseling
- Tower Siting and Wireless Facilities Access
- Video Programming and Cable Franchising
- Communications Enforcement & Compliance
- Communications Mergers & Acquisitions
- Digital Trade
- International & Internet
- Internet of Things
- Telephony & Information Technology
- The Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA)
- Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS)
Communications Mergers & Acquisitions
The Telecom, Media & Technology Practice (TMT) has handled hundreds of mergers, acquisitions, joint ventures, and other transactions involving telecom and media licenses before numerous federal, state, and international regulatory bodies. Our clients have ranged the gamut from Fortune 500 companies to technology startups. Members of the TMT Practice are particularly experienced at structuring transactions to meet regulatory requirements and to facilitate the timely receipt of regulatory approvals. Our attorneys have substantial experience not only in preparing and filing any required license transfer applications, but also in structuring and executing an advocacy strategy to secure the prompt grant of necessary federal and state authorizations.
Where foreign ownership interests are involved, our attorneys have extensive experience shepherding clients through any applicable national security review, and where agencies identify potential concerns, negotiating National Security Agreements or Letters of Assurance describing practices and procedures the client will adhere to in order to mitigate the concerns.
In addition, the firm is experienced in defending transactions against a variety of challenges. We have frequently been successful in getting difficult and complex transactions approved in a timely manner. Over the last several years, our TMT professionals, often in close collaboration with the firm’s Corporate Practice, have worked on securing the regulatory approvals for some of the industry’s largest transactions.
Our capabilities include:
- FCC Approval Strategy
- FCC Assignment/Transfer Filings (including public interest showing and supporting declarations and analyses)
- HSR Analysis and Filings
- National Security Reviews and Negotiation of Mitigation Agreements
- Regulatory Due Diligence
- Responses to FCC Information Requests
- State Review Process Counseling and Prosecution
- Transaction Structuring
Our transactional representations include:
- Verizon Communications Inc. in its acquisition of Vodafone Plc’s 45 percent equity stake in Verizon Wireless
- T-Mobile USA, Inc. in its acquisition of MetroPCS Communications, Inc.
- Globecomm, Inc. in its acquisition by Wasserstein & Co.
- Verizon Wireless in its acquisition of spectrum from SpectrumCo, LLC and Cox TMI Wireless, LLC
- Verizon Communications Inc. in its sale of certain local exchange assets to Frontier Communications Corp.
- Iridium Holdings LLC in its acquisition by GHL Acquisition Corp.
- Verizon Wireless in its acquisition of Alltel Communications, Inc. and associated divestiture deals
- Verizon Wireless in its acquisition of Rural Cellular Corporation
- Verizon Communications Inc. in its sale of certain local and long distance operations to Fairpoint Communications, Inc.
- Sirius Satellite Radio Holdings Inc. in its merger with XM Satellite Radio Holdings, Inc.
- Verizon Communications Inc. in its sale of Puerto Rico Telephone Company, Inc. to América Móvil, S.A. de C.V.
- Intelsat Holdings, Ltd. In its acquisition by Serafina Holdings Limited
- BellSouth Corp. in its merger with AT&T Inc.
- NTT DoCoMo Inc. in its acquisition of Guam Cellular
- Intelsat Holdings, Ltd. in its merger with PanAmSat Holding Corporation
- SBC Communications Inc. in its merger with AT&T Corp.
- Verizon Communications Inc. in its acquisition of MCI, Inc.
- New Iridium in its acquisition of the IRIDIUM Mobile-Satellite Service System from Motorola, Inc.
- Cingular Wireless Corporation in its merger with AT&T Wireless Services, Inc.
- Intelsat, Ltd. in its acquisition by Zeus Holdings Limited
- Intelsat North America, LLC in its acquisition of assets of Loral Satellite, Inc.
- Intelsat, Ltd. in its acquisition of Comsat World Systems from Lockheed Martin Corporation
- America Online, Inc. in its acquisition of Time Warner, Inc.
- Pacific Telesis Group in its merger with SBC Communications Inc.
- McCaw Cellular Communications in its acquisition by AT&T Wireless
- Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. in its acquisition of Communications Corp. of America
- iHeartMedia in its acquisition of Qantum Communications Corp. radio group
- Belo Corp. in its merger with Gannett Co.
- Cogeco Cable, Inc. in its acquisition of Atlantic Broadband Group, LLC
- L&L Broadcasting, Inc. in its acquisition of Triad Broadcasting
- YMF Media LLC in its acquisition of radio stations from bankruptcy estate of Inner City Media Corporation
- Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. in its acquisition of television stations from Newport Television
- New Vision Television in its sale of television stations to LIN Broadcasting
- The restructuring and emergence from bankruptcy of Tribune Company (represented senior lenders)
- iHeartMedia in its acquisition of Metro Traffic from Westwood One
- TTBG, LLC in its acquisition of television stations from bankruptcy estate of Pappas Telecasting, Inc.
- Clear Channel Communications (now iHeartMedia) in its sale to Bain Capital Partners LLC and Thomas H. Lee Partners LP
- Comcast Corporation in its acquisition of cable systems from Adelphia Communications Corporation
- New Vision Television in its acquisition of television stations from Montecito Television
- Clear Channel Communications, Inc. in its acquisition of AMFM Inc.
- Viacom Inc. in its merger with CBS Corporation
- Clear Channel Communications, Inc. in its acquisition of Jacor Communications
- Belo Corp. in its acquisition of newspaper and television station properties from The Providence Journal Company
- CBS Corporation in its acquisition of Infinity Broadcasting
- CBS Corporation in its merger with Westinghouse
News & Insights
News & Insights
- January 24, 2017 | Media MentionInside Radio
- June 15, 2016 | Press Release
- January 27, 2016 | Press Release
- December 9, 2015 | Press Release