Consumer Product Safety
Wiley Rein represents manufacturers, distributors, and retailers of consumer products in the full range of Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) and other product safety regulatory activities. Our practice in the CPSC area includes advising on reporting, responding to CPSC investigations, negotiating with the CPSC, dealing with potentially damaging information disclosures and, where appropriate, developing and obtaining approval of corrective action programs. We also advise on labeling for hazardous substances and children's products, Flammable Fabrics Act and Poison Preventive Packaging Act requirements, California and other state regulations, the implications of various Department of Energy efficiency and international consensus standards, and transportation safety regulatory requirements. Our lawyers and regulatory analysts regularly appear, formally and informally, before pertinent agencies and at standard-setting meetings.
Wiley Rein’s lawyers and regulatory analysts work closely with the company management, engineers, and scientists to develop voluntary programs that will permit resolution of a matter without a recall. Where recalls are necessary, we work through often-thorny DOT transportation requirements. But we often have developed and obtained regulatory approval of innovative solutions that avoid or narrowly limit recall obligations. We are highly cognizant of the public relations issues in these matters reflect those considerations in our advice. We anticipate Wiley Rein’s recent acquisition of McBee Strategic, one of the nation’s leading crisis communications and media relations firms, will further strengthen our capabilities. We also represent clients in addressing their concerns or advancing their interests relating to CPSC and other agency program activities. These activities may be industry-wide rulemaking, standard-setting, or investigatory initiatives affecting a whole product line or specific categories of products within the line. In this context, we represent both individual companies and trade associations.
Representative Recent Experience:
- Successfully representing one of the world’s largest computer companies before the CPSC in structuring recalls of batteries and adapters.
- Addressing for several household-name, international companies CPSC concerns with appliance defects involving fire, shock, or burn hazards.
- Defending manufacturers in a CPSC investigation on whether they met their reporting obligations under Section 15(b) the Consumer Product Safety Act and in avoiding the release of potentially damaging information under Section 6(b) of that statute.
- Addressing CPSC lead content rules on behalf of both children’s products and toy battery manufacturers and distributors. Preparing industry comments in the CPSC’s Rulemaking on Voluntary Remedial Actions and Guidelines for Voluntary Recall Notices and a petition to develop special packaging rules.
|Joseph S. Kakesh||Of Counselemail@example.com||Download vCard|
|Roger H. Miksad||Associatefirstname.lastname@example.org||Download vCard|
|Megan L. Olsen||Special Counselemail@example.com||Download vCard|
|David B. Weinberg||Partnerfirstname.lastname@example.org||Download vCard|
News & Insights
News & Insights
- November 18, 2014 | ArticleLaw360
- October 30, 2014 | Media MentionFood Chemical News
- October 2, 2014 | Media MentionBloomberg BNA’s Medical Devices Law & Industry Rep
- September 25, 2014 | ArticleBloomberg BNA's Toxics Law Reporter
- September 25, 2014 | Press Release
- August 11, 2014 | Media MentionABA News
- May 28, 2014 | ArticleBloomberg BNA's Medical Devices Law & Industry Report
- April 30, 2014 | ArticleFDA Proposes Rule Regarding Medical Device Reclassification: New Regulatory Definitions for Class III Devices May Prove to Be More BurdensomeBloomberg BNA's Medical Devices Law & Industry Report
- March 20, 2014 | Media MentionThe Silver Sheet
- March 6, 2014 | Media MentionBloomberg BNA
- January 17, 2014 | Media MentionFDA Week
- January 8, 2014 | Media MentionFood Chemical News
- December 5, 2013 | Press ReleaseBert Rein Authors Pharmaceutical Executive Column Proposing Modernization of Post-Approval Prescription Drug Regulation
- November 27, 2013 | ArticlePharmaceutical Executive
- November 8, 2013 | Media MentionPolitico
- September 30, 2013 | Media MentionLaw360
- August 27, 2013 | Media MentionThe Silver Sheet
- August 7, 2013 | Media MentionThe Knife and Fork Show
- July 10, 2013 | Media MentionPetfoodindustry.com
- June/July 2013 | ArticleFood Safety Magazine
- April 12, 2013 | Media MentionFood Chemical News
- April 3, 2013 | Washington, DC | EventGMA: Science Forum
- March 20, 2013 | Media MentionBloomberg BNA
- November 14, 2012 | ArticleSpotlight on Import Regulation: Detentions by the U.S. Food and Drug AdministrationBloomberg BNA's Medical Devices Law & Industry Report
- November 9, 2012 | Media MentionThe Metropolitan Corporate Counsel
- November 1, 2012 | Press Release
- September 4, 2012 | Press Release
- April 27, 2012 | Press Release