Employment Issues in Government Contracting
In recent years, employment and labor-related laws affecting government contractors (and oversight and enforcement of these laws) have expanded and changed the regulatory and enforcement landscape. Wiley Rein’s Government Contracts Practice regularly counsels and represents clients regarding non-discrimination and affirmative action requirements of the Department of Labor’s (DOL) Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs (OFCCP), as well as contractor requirements and investigations that arise under the Service Contract Act (SCA), the Davis Bacon Act (DBA), and Davis Bacon and Related Act (DBRA). In addition, we routinely advise federal contractors regarding traditional employment issues, such as compliance with DOL wage and hour laws under the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA), covenants not to compete relating to current and prospective employees, the differences between an “employee” and an “independent contractor,” and discrimination and sexual harassment allegations and investigations.
Department of Labor's Office of Federal Contract Compliance Program
Our attorneys regularly counsel clients on the non-discrimination and affirmative action requirements of the DOL OFCCP, including Executive Order 11246, Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, as amended, involving individuals with disabilities, and the Vietnam Era Veterans’ Readjustment Assistance Act of 1974, as amended. We advise clients on the creation and review of affirmative action plans and compliance policies, as well as preparation for OFCCP compliance reviews and preventive audits.
In addition, we often represent clients during investigations by other DOL agencies, such as the Wage and Hour Division and the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA). Recent DOL OFCCP engagements include:
- Successfully represented contractors in connection with OFCCP compliance reviews, responded to OFCCP inquiries, and negotiated conciliation agreements.
- Responded on behalf of contractor to OFCCP complaint of disability discrimination and retaliation under Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act.
- Presented analysis and summaries to clients on OFCCP’s recent final rules amending Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the Vietnam Era Veterans’ Readjustment Assistance Act of 1974.
Service Contract Act
Compliance with the wage and fringe benefit payment and related obligations under the SCA is a key concern for service contractors. Non-compliance with the SCA can lead to substantial back wage or fringe benefit liabilities, contract termination, or debarment from federal contracting. Wiley Rein attorneys regularly provide guidance and representation on a wide range of SCA issues, as well as wage and hour requirements, pension contribution issues, and the employment matters that arise when a contract is transitioned from one federal contractor to another. Wiley Rein attorneys also counsel clients on their obligations under the DOL and Federal Acquisition Regulation Nondisplacement rules, which require contractors to offer jobs to many SCA-covered employees of their predecessor contractors.
Recent representative SCA experience includes:
- Prepared successful petitions on behalf of six different large service contractors seeking approval of use of a self-funded insurance plan as a bona fide fringe benefit under the SCA.
- Conducted a comprehensive SCA compliance audit of a business unit with more than $1 billion in service contracts and prepared report summarizing findings and recommendations to mitigate SCA compliance risk.
- Assisted a prime contractor with investigation and remediation of subcontractor failure to provide the required minimum level of fringe benefits under the SCA.
- Represented division of large federal service contractor in responding to DOL Wage & Hour Division SCA audit of multi-billion dollar service contract.
- Assessed DOL audit findings and assisted with negotiation of settlement of labor category misclassification allegations under multi-million dollar service contract.
Davis Bacon Act
The DBA and DBRA apply to a wide range of federally-funded construction projects, and the DOL aggressively monitors and enforces compliance with these laws. Our attorneys have performed internal reviews to determine contractor and subcontractor compliance with DBA/DBRA requirements and regularly assist contractors on DOL DBA/DBRA audit matters, including DOL audits arising under the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 (ARRA), which incorporates DBA requirements.
Recent DBA engagements include:
- Performed an internal compliance review to assess subcontractor compliance with the DBA on a multi-million dollar ARRA-funded project.
- Successfully resolved DOL DBA audit of subcontractor labor category classification arising under multi-million dollar ARRA-funded grant.
- Assisted client in facilitating retroactive DBA back wage payments to subcontractor employees.
- Counseled client on application of public utility exception to DBA coverage to non-ARRA funded project.
Covenants Not to Compete
Our practice often provides contractors counsel and representation regarding covenants not to compete, including non-competition and non-solicitation provisions. We advise clients in analyzing the interplay between covenants not to compete and the Nondisplacement Rule and on how to narrowly draft scope and duration provisions to address unique requirements for government contractors. In addition, we provide representation in enforcement of these provisions to ensure that former employees and prospective employers understand the requirements of the covenants not to compete. For example, we recently secured a temporary restraining order in federal district court in Virginia against a former employee of our client that violated his non-compete obligations and helped to secure a contract award for a competitor.
Fair Labor Standards Act and Employment Investigations
The FLSA governs wage and hour requirements for employers and establishes standards to define who is exempt from the minimum wage and overtime requirements of the law. The FLSA also raises unique issues for service contractors given SCA prevailing wage requirements. Our practice is adept at counseling clients on FLSA compliance issues and creating company policies and procedures to minimize the risk of potential litigation. We assist employers in conducting wage and hour self-audits and have successfully resolved several national collective action wage and hour disputes.
In addition, we have conducted hundreds of time-charging, discrimination, and sexual harassment investigations for both large and small government contractors. Wiley Rein attorneys also have significant experience defending employers before federal and state courts and agencies, such as the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) with respect to claims involving employment discrimination, harassment, wrongful termination, and breach of express or implied employment contracts.
News & Insights
News & Insights
- December 19, 2016 | Alert
- April 2016 | ArticleService Contractor Magazine
- December 21, 2015 | Alert
- September 10, 2015 | Alert
- March 3, 2015 | ArticleBloomberg BNA's Federal Contracts Report
- Winter 2015 | ArticleThe Procurement Lawyer
- December 30, 2014 | ArticleView From Wiley Rein: Revisiting President Obama’s Executive Orders—Has Congressional Gridlock Made Government Contractors the New Laboratories of Democracy?Bloomberg BNA's Federal Contracts Report
- December 10, 2014 | AlertOFCCP Issues Final Rule Barring Contractor Discrimination Based on Sexual Orientation or Gender Identity
- October 3, 2014 | Alert
- August 8, 2014 | Alert
- August 1, 2014 | AlertPresident Obama Issues Executive Order On a Host of Labor Law Related Issues, Including Reporting, Wage Information, and Arbitration
- July 29, 2014 | Media MentionLaw360
- June 19, 2014 | Alert
- April 30, 2014 | AlertTime to Pay the Piper: Department of Labor Imposes a Three-Year Debarment for Violations of the Service Contract Act
- April 14, 2014 | ArticleLaw360
- April 11, 2014 | Alert
- April 7, 2014 | Alert
- March 20, 2014 | Alert
- January 30, 2014 | Media MentionLaw360
- September 24, 2013 | AlertOFCCP Publishes Final Rules on Affirmative Action Obligations for Veterans and Individuals with Disabilities
- April 9, 2013 | Alert
- March 12, 2013 | ArticleBloomberg BNA's Daily Report for Executives
- March 1, 2013 | Alert
- January 10, 2013 | Media MentionLaw360
- January 8, 2013 | ArticleBloomberg BNA's Federal Contracts Report
- December 27, 2012 | Alert
- December 21, 2012 | Article
- October 2012 | AlertYou're Hired? Balancing the Risks and Benefits of Criminal Background Checks in Hiring Is More Crucial Than Ever for Government ContractorsThe Metropolitan Corporate Counsel Vol. 20, No. 10
- September 24, 2012 | Alert
- June 12, 2012 | Press ReleaseWiley Rein's Government Contracts Practice and Rand L. Allen Receive Top Tier Honors from Chambers USA for the Fourth Consecutive Year
- June 7, 2012 | Press ReleaseChambers USA Recognizes Thirty-Two Wiley Rein Attorneys Across Fifteen Practice Areas as Best in the Country
- May 7, 2012 | Alert
- April 27, 2012 | Press Release
- April 19, 2012 | AlertWhite House Declines to Issue Executive Order Requiring Federal Contractors to Bar Discrimination Based on Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity
- February 7, 2012 | Media MentionGovernment Contracts Law360
- February 1, 2012 | Press Release
- January 3, 2012 | Press ReleaseLaw360 Names Wiley Rein's Government Contracts, Insurance and International Trade Practices Among Its "2011 Groups of the Year"
- December 6, 2011 | ArticleGovernment Contracts Law360
- December 5, 2011 | AlertU.S. Department of Agriculture to Require all Contractors to Certify That They (and Their Subcontractors and Suppliers) are in Compliance with Labor Laws or Risk Being Subject to the False Claims Act
- November 23, 2011 | Press Release
- November 22, 2011 | AlertDoD Issues Final Rule Amending DFARS to Require Contractors to Represent Former Officials' Compliance with Post-Employment Restrictions; Update: President Signs Legislation to Repeal Three Percent Withholding On Payments to Government Contractors
- September 9, 2011 | AlertDepartment of Labor Releases Final Non-Displacement Rule for Contracts Covered by the Service Contract Act
- July 5, 2011 | ArticleOFCCP Releases for Public Comment New Proposed "Itemized Listing" Expanding Scope of Government Contractors' Collection Efforts in Affirmative Action Compliance Reviews
- June 13, 2011 | ArticleNew Form 1-129 Certification Regarding Export Licenses Poses Difficult Issues for Government ContractorsBNA's Federal Contracts Report
- June 13, 2011 | Press ReleaseWiley Rein's Government Contract Practice and Rand L. Allen Receive Top Honors from Chambers USA; Group Boasts Five "Leading Lawyers"
- June 10, 2011 | Press ReleaseThirty Wiley Rein Attorneys from More than a Dozen Practice Areas Included as Best in Class by Chambers USA
- June 8, 2011 | AlertSupreme Court Holds Bayh-Dole Act Does Not Automatically Vest Patent Rights in Federally Funded Inventions to Federal Contractors
- May 18, 2011 | Alert
- May 10, 2011 | Alert
- May 3, 2011 | Press Release
- March 11, 2011 | ArticleLaw360
- March 2, 2011 | Press Release
- February 23, 2011 | Washington, DC | EventWest Government Contracts Year in Review Conference
- February 15, 2011 | Press Release
- February 1, 2011 | Washington, DC | EventKnowing How the Government Is Applying the False Claims Act and Other Civil and Criminal Statutes to Battlefield SituationsAmerican Conference Institute
- January 18, 2011 | ArticleFinal Regulation Implementing Franken Amendment Forbids Contractors From Mandating Arbitration of Sexual Assault and Harassment ClaimsBNA Federal Contracts Report Volume 95, No. 2
- January 7, 2011 | Alert
- January 1, 2011 | Washington, DC | EventIssues Related to Corporate MonitorsAmerican Bar Association
- December 29, 2010 | Press Release
- October 19, 2010 | Press Release
- June 14, 2010 | Press ReleaseChambers USA Ranks Wiley Rein's Government Contracts Practice in Top Tier and Partners Rand L. Allen, Paul F. Khoury and Scott M. McCaleb among the Nation's Best; Daniel P. Graham Named "Up and Comer"
- May 13, 2010 | Press Release
- April 30, 2010 | Press Release
- November 24, 2009 | Press ReleaseWashingtonian Magazine Dubs Richard E. Wiley a "Star of the Bar;" Names a Dozen Attorneys to its List of DC's "Top Lawyers"
- September 14, 2009 | Press Release
- July 7, 2009 | Press Release
- June 29, 2009 | Article
- June 16, 2009 | Press ReleaseCongressional Subcommittee Hears Testimony on Priorities and Objectives for Improving Federal Procurement and Acquisitions Process
- June 12, 2009 | Press ReleaseChambers USA Ranks Wiley Rein's Government Contracts Practice in Its Top Tier and Partners Rand L. Allen, Paul F. Khoury and Scott M. McCaleb among the Nation's Best
- June 4, 2009 | Press Release
- March 10, 2009 | Press Release
- March 9, 2009 | ArticleLiability and Workers' Compensation Carriers Be Warned-Deadlines Loom for New Medicare Reporting Requirements that Carry Steep Civil Money PenaltiesBloomberg Law Reports
- December 31, 2008 | Press Release
- June 23, 2008 | Press ReleaseWiley Rein's Government Contracts Practice and Partners Rand L. Allen, Paul F. Khoury and Scott M. McCaleb Rated Among the Nation's Best
- February 29, 2008 | Press Release
- October 29, 2007 | Press ReleaseWiley Rein Teams with SAI Global to Deliver Broader Risk Management Solutions for U.S. Government Contractors
- June 20, 2007 | Press ReleaseWiley Rein's Government Contracts Practice and Partners Rand Allen, Paul Khoury and Scott McCaleb Rank Among Nation's Best
- April 9, 2007 | Press Release
- June 8, 2006 | Press Release
- June 29, 2005 | Article
- May 27, 2005 | Article
- March 29, 2005 | Press ReleaseWiley Rein & Fielding's Government Contracts Practice Broadens Depth with Addition of Distinguished Litigators
- January 3, 2005 | Press Release
- December 6, 2004 | Press Release
- November 2, 2004 | Press Release
- November 11, 2003 | Press Release
- May 20, 2002 | Press Release
- April 24, 2002 | ArticleFifth Addendum: Congressman Davis Requests GSA to Issue Guidance Confirming Prohibition on Agency Requirement of Contractor Certifications of Section 508 Compliance
- June 25, 2001 | ArticleCompliance with the Access Requirements of Section 508: Added Procurement Complexity for IT Industry and Federal Agencies
- December 22, 2000 | Press Release
- July 5, 2000 | ArticleFourth Addendum: Access Board Issues Final Accessibility Standards for Electronic and Information Technology
- July 4, 2000 | ArticleThird Addendum: Access Board Receives over 100 Comments on Proposed Standards for Electronic and Information Technology
- July 3, 2000 | Article
- July 2, 2000 | Article
- July 1, 2000 | Article