Wiley Rein has extensive experience concerning energy efficiency requirements governing a wide range of consumer and other products. We work with trade associations and companies on the development and modification of mandatory and voluntary standards programs and related testing procedures and regulations issued by the Department of Energy (DOE), EPA’s Energy Star Program, and state regulatory authorities such as the California Energy Commission.
Our work also includes standards setting by trade associations and international organizations devoted to such matters and the establishment and managed of related certification programs. We advise clients regarding the applicability of testing and efficiency standards to their products and advocate on clients’ behalf regarding rule exceptions and waiver requests. In addition we represent clients in energy efficiency legislation and agency rulemaking before the DOE, the Federal Trade Commission (FTC), and state agencies. Our work also includes enforcement proceedings and litigation at the federal and state level.
Representative Recent Experience:
- Advising wireless manufacturer regarding energy efficiency exemption proceedings before DOE
- Advising electronics manufacturer in comments regarding proposed rulemaking to establish energy efficiency standards for manufacturer’s products.
- Representing clients in DOE, Energy Star, and state rule-makings on establishment of standards, test procedures, and other rules for consumer products and industrial equipment.
- Advising clients on application of DOE, FTC, Energy Star, and state energy efficiency rules and represented them in agency enforcement proceedings concerning compliance.
- Obtaining exceptions for innovative products from DOE standards and obtained waivers of DOE test procedures where existing test procedures were inappropriate for a product.
- Representing clients in litigation on the validity of federal and state energy requirements. This has included such issues as whether federal rules meet the requirements of the governing federal statute and whether state rules are preempted by federal law.
News & Insights
News & Insights
- April 8, 2014 | ArticleBattery Power Magazine
- May 20, 2013 | Press Release
- March 26, 2013 | ArticleCharging Ahead: California Battery Charger System Standards Go Into Effect; DOE Considers Revising Its Proposal; Washington State Considers Rules
- November 1, 2012 | Press Release
- August 1, 2012 | Media MentionE&E Reporter
- June 8, 2012 | Press ReleaseChambers USA Ranks David B. Weinberg Among the Best Environmental Lawyers in Washington, DC for Six Years in a Row
- May 8, 2012 | Media MentionBatteries International
- November 1, 2011 | Press Release
- August 30, 2011 | Press Release
- June 27, 2011 | Orlando, FL | EventAn International and U.S. Regulatory and Legislative UpdateEnergy Battery Group Annual Meeting
- June 10, 2011 | Press Release
- May 26, 2011 | Barcelona | EventU.S. Lead Battery Developments UpdateEUROBAT Annual Meeting
- May 2, 2011 | Miami, FL | EventAn International and U.S. Regulatory and Legislative UpdateBattery Council International Annual Convention
- September 15, 2010 | Press ReleaseU.S. News & World Report and "Best Lawyers" Rate Seven Wiley Rein Practices among the Nation's and Region's Best
- August 4, 2010 | Press Release
- January 20, 2010 | Press Release
- September 14, 2009 | Press Release
- June 12, 2009 | Press Release
- March 17, 2009 | Press Release
- February 20, 2009 | Press Release
- December 31, 2008 | Press Release
- November 11, 2008 | Press Release
- June 18, 2008 | Press ReleaseChambers USA Names Wiley Rein's Environment & Safety Practice Chair David B. Weinberg a "Leading Lawyer"
- May 20, 2008 | Press Release
- February 28, 2008 | Press Release
- January 22, 2008 | Press Release
- December 31, 2007 | Press Release
- June 20, 2007 | Press ReleaseWiley Rein’s Chemicals, Safety & Environment Practice Chair David Weinberg Recognized as a "Leading Lawyer"
- April 9, 2007 | Press Release
- February 23, 2007 | Press Release
- December 29, 2006 | Press Release
- August 30, 2006 | Press ReleaseWiley Rein & Fielding Secures Dismissal of Lawsuit against Methyl Bromide Producers for “Critical Use” of Pesticide
- February 17, 2006 | Press Release
- March 7, 2005 | Press Release
- March 1, 2005 | Press ReleaseWRF Files Supreme Court Brief in Grokster Copyright Case on Behalf of Consumer Electronics Association, Computer & Communications Industry Association and Home Recording Rights Coalition
- February 1, 2005 | Press Release