Energy efficiency is an important component of U.S. and international environmental policy and is playing an increasingly central role in product design and marketing. Failure to meet applicable efficiency rules can result in products being blocked from admission into the United States and from being marketed in U.S. commerce. Recent legislation, rule-makings, and court cases have resulted in a dramatic increase in efficiency requirements and proceedings. Wiley Rein has extensive experience concerning energy efficiency of consumer products and industrial equipment.
We work with trade associations and companies on mandatory and voluntary standards programs. This includes U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) minimum efficiency standards and test procedures, Energy Star rules at DOE and EPA, and state agencies such as the California Energy Commission. It also includes standards setting by trade associations and establishment and management of related certification programs. On behalf of our clients, we work application of rules, exceptions to rules, and waivers. We advise them on testing procedures rules, laboratory testing, conformity certification, and labeling. In addition, we represent clients on energy legislation and in rule-making before the DOE, the Federal Trade Commission (FTC), and state agencies. Our work also includes enforcement proceedings and litigation at the federal and state level.
Representative Recent Experience:
- Representing clients in DOE, Energy Star, and state rule-makings on establishment of standards, test procedures, and other rules for consumer products and industrial equipment.
- Advising clients on application of DOE, FTC, Energy Star, and state energy efficiency rules and represented them in agency enforcement proceedings concerning compliance.
- Obtaining exceptions for innovative products from DOE standards and obtained waivers of DOE test procedures where existing test procedures were inappropriate for a product.
- Representing clients in litigation on the validity of federal and state energy requirements. This has included such issues as whether federal rules meet the requirements of the governing federal statute and whether state rules are preempted by federal law.
News & Insights
News & Insights
- April 8, 2014 | ArticleBattery Power Magazine
- May 20, 2013 | Press Release
- March 26, 2013 | ArticleCharging Ahead: California Battery Charger System Standards Go Into Effect; DOE Considers Revising Its Proposal; Washington State Considers Rules
- November 1, 2012 | Press Release
- August 1, 2012 | Media MentionE&E Reporter
- June 8, 2012 | Press ReleaseChambers USA Ranks David B. Weinberg Among the Best Environmental Lawyers in Washington, DC for Six Years in a Row
- May 8, 2012 | Media MentionBatteries International
- November 1, 2011 | Press Release
- August 30, 2011 | Press Release
- June 27, 2011 | Orlando, FL | EventAn International and U.S. Regulatory and Legislative UpdateEnergy Battery Group Annual Meeting
- June 10, 2011 | Press Release
- May 26, 2011 | Barcelona | EventU.S. Lead Battery Developments UpdateEUROBAT Annual Meeting
- May 2, 2011 | Miami, FL | EventAn International and U.S. Regulatory and Legislative UpdateBattery Council International Annual Convention
- September 15, 2010 | Press ReleaseU.S. News & World Report and "Best Lawyers" Rate Seven Wiley Rein Practices among the Nation's and Region's Best
- August 4, 2010 | Press Release
- January 20, 2010 | Press Release
- September 14, 2009 | Press Release
- June 12, 2009 | Press Release
- March 17, 2009 | Press Release
- February 20, 2009 | Press Release
- December 31, 2008 | Press Release
- November 11, 2008 | Press Release
- June 18, 2008 | Press ReleaseChambers USA Names Wiley Rein's Environment & Safety Practice Chair David B. Weinberg a "Leading Lawyer"
- May 20, 2008 | Press Release
- February 28, 2008 | Press Release
- January 22, 2008 | Press Release
- December 31, 2007 | Press Release
- June 20, 2007 | Press ReleaseWiley Rein’s Chemicals, Safety & Environment Practice Chair David Weinberg Recognized as a "Leading Lawyer"
- April 9, 2007 | Press Release
- February 23, 2007 | Press Release
- December 29, 2006 | Press Release
- August 30, 2006 | Press ReleaseWiley Rein & Fielding Secures Dismissal of Lawsuit against Methyl Bromide Producers for “Critical Use” of Pesticide
- February 17, 2006 | Press Release
- March 7, 2005 | Press Release
- March 1, 2005 | Press ReleaseWRF Files Supreme Court Brief in Grokster Copyright Case on Behalf of Consumer Electronics Association, Computer & Communications Industry Association and Home Recording Rights Coalition
- February 1, 2005 | Press Release