Hazardous Materials Transportation
Our team is intimately familiar with the complex scheme of hazardous materials transportation regulations that govern the domestic and international shipments of hazardous materials and dangerous goods. We both defend enforcement actions and participate actively in the regulatory and legislative arenas. George A. Kerchner, who in addition to counseling individual companies on compliance issues, serves as Executive Director of PRBA-The Rechargeable Battery Association, and is recognized world-wide for his knowledge of regulatory schemes governing the transportation of batteries, portable electronic devices, and electric vehicle components.
We regularly deal with the U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT), the UN Committee of Experts that establishes international dangerous goods regulations, the International Air Transport Association (IATA), the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO), the International Maritime Organization (IMO), and other concerned regulatory bodies. We are also adept at obtaining permits and approvals that provide relief from onerous regulatory requirements imposed by DOT's Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration (PHMSA) and foreign transportation agencies and, where necessary, defending enforcement actions brought by the FAA and PHMSA.
As a result of our unique expertise, Wiley Rein is able to offer training programs and tutorials to its clients on hazardous materials regulations. Our personnel have conducted nearly two dozen such sessions for individual companies during the last year.
Representative Recent Experience
- Leading a multi-industry coalition in successfully opposing elements of lithium/lithium ion battery regulations jointly proposed by PHMSA and the FAA. Wiley Rein’s efforts, including preparation of rule-making comments and supportive analyses and contacts with the Administration and Congress, resulted in a legislative provision directing the DOT to adopt regulations favorable to the industry coalition and, ultimately, the adoption of regulatory solutions preferred by our clients.
- Defending enforcement cases brought against medical device, bicycle, electric vehicle, battery, and fireworks manufacturers and marketers.
- Drafted and advocated adoption of rule-making petition to revise DOT's “single shipper rule” governing battery recycling.
News & Insights
News & Insights
- September 26, 2016 | ArticleLaw360
- July 11, 2016 | ArticleBloomberg BNA’s Daily Environment Report
- September 2015 | Newsletter
- November 13, 2014 | Washington, DC | EventNoncompliance and Enforcement of the International Lithium Battery Dangerous Goods Transport Regulations5th Annual Knowledge Foundation Battery Safety 2014
- November 4, 2014 | Guangzhou , China | EventIATA 4th Lithium Battery Workshop
- May 29, 2013 | Press ReleaseChambers USA Ranks David B. Weinberg Among the Best Environmental Lawyers in Washington, DC for Seven Years in a Row
- November 1, 2012 | Press Release
- August 1, 2012 | Media MentionE&E Reporter
- June 8, 2012 | Press ReleaseChambers USA Ranks David B. Weinberg Among the Best Environmental Lawyers in Washington, DC for Six Years in a Row
- May 8, 2012 | Media MentionBatteries International
- November 1, 2011 | Press Release
- August 30, 2011 | Press Release
- June 27, 2011 | Orlando, FL | EventAn International and U.S. Regulatory and Legislative UpdateEnergy Battery Group Annual Meeting
- June 10, 2011 | Press Release
- May 26, 2011 | Barcelona | EventU.S. Lead Battery Developments UpdateEUROBAT Annual Meeting
- September 15, 2010 | Press ReleaseU.S. News & World Report and "Best Lawyers" Rate Seven Wiley Rein Practices among the Nation's and Region's Best
- August 4, 2010 | Press Release
- January 20, 2010 | Press Release
- September 14, 2009 | Press Release
- June 12, 2009 | Press Release
- February 20, 2009 | Press Release
- December 31, 2008 | Press Release
- November 11, 2008 | Press Release
- June 18, 2008 | Press ReleaseChambers USA Names Wiley Rein's Environment & Safety Practice Chair David B. Weinberg a "Leading Lawyer"
- June 20, 2007 | Press ReleaseWiley Rein’s Chemicals, Safety & Environment Practice Chair David Weinberg Recognized as a "Leading Lawyer"
- February 1, 2005 | Press Release