Wiley Rein’s Public Policy Group provides clients technical expertise and high-level advocacy while possessing the legal resources of a national law firm. Our counsel assists clients to achieve their goals in Washington. Since the firm’s inception in 1983, our lawyers and policy experts have established a record of success predicated on their experience and judgment.
With more than 275 lawyers available to assist our efforts, the Public Policy Group is an industry-leading advocate for trade associations, start-ups, publicly traded companies, and small and large businesses that operate in the areas of telecommunications, health care, energy, transportation, and international trade. The Group has worked closely with members of Congress in both parties, members of the Executive branch and federal regulators on issues involving the:
- Environmental Protection Agency (EPA);
- Federal Aviation Administration (FAA);
- Federal Communications Commission (FCC);
- Food and Drug Administration (FDA);
- U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA);
- U.S. Department of Commerce (DOC);
- U.S. Department of Defense (DOD);
- U.S. Department of Energy (DOE);
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS);
- U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS);
- U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) (including the Surface Transportation Board); and
- U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA).
The strength of our Public Policy Group is in our experience and the breadth and depth of our practice. When counseling a client, we rely upon a detailed understanding of the subject matter based on years of Capitol Hill experience. Longstanding relationships with decision-makers are invaluable when it comes to evaluating the prospects for passage of legislation and anticipating political trends. Wiley Rein professionals excel at educating policy-makers on the impact of pending legislation and proposed agency rules. We use those tools to help clients craft a profile on the Hill and cultivate a base of support in Congress, the Executive branch, and among key regulatory agencies. We also have at our disposal the legal knowledge to draft legislation, position papers, congressional testimony, and a network of relationships necessary to consolidate industry-wide coalitions.
The Team is led by Jim Slattery and Scott Weaver. Mr. Slattery is a former six-term Democratic congressman, who draws upon his insight and experience when representing clients before Congress and federal agencies. Mr. Weaver has a variety of experience on Capitol Hill lobbying and in congressional offices including serving as Chief of Staff for Republican Representative Katherine Harris. Having served on the U.S. House of Representative’s Energy and Commerce Committee Health Subcommittee, Telecommunications Subcommittee, and Banking Committee, Mr. Slattery has particular expertise in health care, telecommunications, energy, and international trade issues. Notably, his recent work includes representing publicly traded health care companies, online health insurance marketers, and managed-care organizations as they navigate the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (ACA). Mr. Slattery and Mr. Weaver lead a group of experienced lawyers and policy advocates with extensive knowledge derived from decades of working for and with the federal government.
Wiley Rein offers services in an array of areas:
- Creating a profile and base of support in Congress;
- Opening lines of communication with federal agencies;
- Advocating client positions with members of Congress and Administration officials;
- Monitoring and analyzing legislative and regulatory developments; and
- Counseling clients on Legislative and Executive branch trends and likely positions of key decision makers.
- Assisting clients in developing a public policy strategy and counseling clients on how to communicate with the media, public policy makers in Congress, and the Administration; and
- Counseling clients on anticipating and responding to proposed actions by Congress, the Executive branch, and regulatory agencies.
- Drafting position papers, legislation, and congressional testimony;
- Preparing witnesses for congressional testimony;
- Providing advice on grassroots lobbying programs;
- Negotiating legislative proposals; and
- Leading industry-wide coalition building.
Our approach of combining policy, business, and legal expertise has produced success for our clients that has spanned eight presidential administrations. We are confident our lawyers and policy experts can help clients achieve their public policy goals.
FCC Takes Initial Steps to Unlock AWS-3 Spectrum Auction Revenue for Public-Safety Initiatives
By Shawn H. Chang* and Anna M. Gomez
February 20, 2015 | Urgent Communications
2014 Midterm Election Results: What Do They Mean?
By Scott Weaver
November 5, 2014
Your Turn: Ideological Purity Hinders Good Policy
By Jim Slattery
October 26, 2014 | The Lawrence Journal-World
RECENT NEWSFCC Takes Initial Steps to Unlock AWS-3 Spectrum Auction Revenue for Public-Safety Initiatives
February 20, 2015
Jim Slattery Discusses His Historic Trip to Iran at Atlantic Council Event
February 13, 2015