Wiley Rein LLP has extensive experience with respect to the Foreign Agents Registration Act (FARA), 22 U.S.C. 611 et seq. Under the FARA statute, all persons acting as an “agent of a foreign principal” as defined in the statute, must register with the U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ) within 10 days of becoming, or agreeing to become, such an agent unless an exception to registration applies. Enacted in 1938, the purpose of this statute is to ensure that persons acting within the United States as agents of foreign principals engaged in political or quasi-political activities disclose their relationship with the foreign principal, activities, and disbursements and receipts in connection with these activities to the U.S. government.
To help clients navigate this disclosure statute, Wiley Rein has authored the FARA Issues Handbook which reviews the rules that govern whether an entity should register with the FARA Registration Unit of the DOJ, the registration process, the obligations of registered agents, and the penalties that may be imposed for FARA violations. Our attorneys routinely counsel clients on whether registration is required under FARA and, if so, the requirements for registration. We also regularly draft advisory opinion requests on behalf of clients to the National Security Division of the DOJ, which is tasked with administering and enforcing the statute. Additionally, Wiley Rein attorneys actively assist clients with completing and executing their FARA filings.
ISSUE: MARCH 2015
IN THIS ISSUE
- Private Airplanes & Politicians: Complex Issues, Complex Rules
- New Illinois and Pennsylvania Governors Issue Executive Orders Restricting Gifts
- Campaign Manager Pleads Guilty to Illegal Coordination of Super PAC Spending; How Significant is That?
- Louisiana Ethics Board Clarifies State's Express-Advocacy Standard
- Pay-to-Play Spotlight: Plan Ahead: New Jersey Pay-to-Play Filing Due on March 30!
- Odd-Year Reporting Hazards
- 2015-2016 Federal Contribution Limits
- Distinguished Election Law Alumnus of the Year
- 2015 State Lobbying and Gifts Survey
- Speeches/Upcoming Events
The Foreign Agents Registration Act (FARA) Handbook
August 22, 2014
Two Years of Tax Returns is Plenty
By Michael E. Toner
July 19, 2012 | USA Today
Combating Cybersquatters: A Legal Primer
By Michael E. Toner and David E. Weslow
May/June 2012 | Campaigns & Elections