Our attorneys defend employers in federal and state courts with respect to claims involving employment discrimination, harassment, wrongful termination, and breach of express or implied contracts of employment. We are also experienced in handling matters encountered by government contractors and technology companies, including enforcement of noncompetition agreements, protection of company trade secrets, and enforcement of unfair competition and business conspiracy laws. Our Group designs, implements, and enforces arbitration and other alternative dispute resolution (ADR) procedures to efficiently resolve employment discrimination and wrongful termination claims.
While we are ready and able to defend our clients before a judge and/or jury, most lawsuits are resolved without the need for a trial. Our attorneys evaluate risks early and are often able to negotiate resolutions of disputes for a fraction of the initial demand.
Recent litigation and arbitration matters include:
- Successfully defending an employer in Maryland state court in a jury trial of a religious discrimination case.
- Representing an employer in California state court in a five-week jury trial of a hostile environment case based on alleged racial and sexual harassment and retaliation, resulting in a mitigated judgment of less than one-quarter of the demand made by the claimant at the close of the case.
- Winning a partial motion to dismiss and settling the remaining claims at a fraction of the initial demand in a discrimination suit filed in Pennsylvania federal court.
- Successfully defending against enforcement of a noncompetition agreement and violation of the Trade Secrets Act in Maryland federal court. An identical agreement had previously been successfully enforced against lower-level employees.
- Obtaining summary judgment for an employer in a race discrimination and harassment case litigated in Virginia federal court.
- Defending an employer and two company officers in D.C. Superior Court against claims of defamation, slander, infliction of emotional distress, and disability discrimination, obtaining a partial summary judgment that resulted in a favorable settlement without the need for trial.
- Obtaining a motion to dismiss a wage/commission case in Massachusetts federal court.
- Representing an employer in New York state court in a noncompetition and trade secret enforcement action, resulting in a denial of a temporary restraining order (TRO).
- Successfully defending an employer during arbitration proceedings in an employment contract dispute involving a former CEO who sought $6.5 million.
- Representing an employer in Virginia federal court in a sex discrimination case tried before a jury, resulting in a defense verdict on all counts.
- Successfully representing an employer in a suit regarding an arbitration agreement resulting in a motion to dismiss.