With the passage of the Honest Leadership and Open Government Act of 2007 (HLOGA) that amended the Lobbying Disclosure Act (LDA), compliance with federal lobbying and ethics laws has never been more important. The law now imposes increased civil penalties as well as criminal liability on private parties for violations. We regularly advise clients regarding compliance with this and other laws regulating the ethical interaction of business organizations with government at the federal, state and local levels.
Notably, our practice features Robert L. Walker, a former Chief Counsel and Staff Director of both the Senate and House ethics committees who is an expert in congressional ethics and lobbying rules, and reporting specialists with particular experience regarding the LD-1, LD-2, and LD-203 lobbying reporting forms required by the LDA and HLOGA. Our lobbying compliance services include:
- Analysis of whether it is best to report lobbying expenses under the Internal Revenue Code or LDA method (changes can occur only in the April report);
- Review of the LDA processes you currently have in place and guidance when new processes are necessary;
- Advice on how to collect information that must be disclosed on LD-2 and LD-203 reports;
- Line-by-line review of draft quarterly LD-2 and semiannual LD-203 reports;
- Line-by-line review of quarterly LD-2 calculations of lobbying expenses;
- Guidance on the best method for calculating lobbying expenses;
- Advice on when to register under the LDA or to add or drop lobbyists from an existing registration;
- Guidance on whether certain activities constitute lobbying as defined by the LDA or Internal Revenue Code and whether specific officials are covered officials; and
- Advice on recordkeeping in the event of a Government Accountability Office (GAO) audit.
We represent clients during GAO audits and before the Office of Government Ethics, the House and Senate ethics committees, the Office of Congressional Ethics, and state and local agencies and boards when necessary.
For more information on developments in Federal Lobby & Ethics Compliance Counseling, please see the related article below:
Michael E. Toner
202.719.7545 | email@example.com
Carol A. Laham
202.719.7301 | firstname.lastname@example.org
Caleb P. Burns
202.719.7451 | email@example.com
D. Mark Renaud
202.719.7405 | firstname.lastname@example.org
Robert L. Walker
202.719.7585 | email@example.com
ISSUE: MAY 2013