J.D., Vanderbilt Law School; Order of the Coif
B.S., magna cum laude, Washington and Lee University
Editor in Chief, Vanderbilt Law Review
Bar and Court Admissions
District of Columbia Bar
Supreme Court of the United States
U.S. Courts of Appeals for the Sixth, Eleventh, and District of Columbia Circuits
U.S. District Courts for the Eastern District of Tennessee, Middle District of Tennessee, and Northern District of Georgia
Supreme Court of Georgia
With more than 20 years of experience in the communications industry, Bennett provides strategic advice to telecommunications carriers, equipment manufacturers, technology companies, investment firms, and industry trade associations. He represents clients before the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) and state public service commissions in rulemakings, enforcement proceedings, and transactions involving regulated entities. Bennett also prepares and negotiates commercial agreements in the communications industry, providing regulatory, corporate, and commercial advice.
- Successfully represented trade association in securing forbearance from legacy telecommunications regulations.
- Successfully defended two large hotel operators in FCC enforcement actions, which involved issues of first impression about the ability of a network operator to use FCC-authorized equipment to manage its Wi-Fi network, even when causing interference to devices regulated under Part 15 of the FCC's rules.
- Successfully represented clients in acquiring and disposing of telecommunications carriers, including obtaining regulatory approvals at the federal and state level.
- Successfully defended competing telecommunications carrier in federal bankruptcy court action seeking to terminate carrier's service.
- Successfully defended incumbent local exchange carrier in state commission proceedings seeking approximately $10 million in rate reductions.
- Represented clients before the FCC and state commissions in rulemaking and enforcement proceedings on broadband, universal service, network interconnection, and unbundling matters.
- Prepared and negotiated fiber IRU agreements, Internet peering agreements, and voice and data service agreements on behalf of clients in the United States and abroad.
- Counseled clients on federal and state regulatory requirements governing voice, video, and broadband services, as well as new technologies such as VoIP and cloud communications.
- Advised clients about privacy issues and federal E-Rate program compliance.
- Assisted clients in obtaining approximately $450 million in broadband stimulus funding under the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (ARRA).
- BellSouth Telecommunications, Inc
- General Counsel, Washington, DC and Georgia
- Senior Attorney, Regulatory and Governmental Affairs Section
- Partner, Bass, Berry & Sims (Nashville, TN)
- American Bar Association (ABA)
- Federal Communications Bar Association (FCBA)
- Board of Trustees, Washington and Lee University (2009-Present)
- Named one of DC's "Super Lawyers" for Communications by Super Lawyers magazine (2012-2016)
- Named by The Legal 500 US a "recommended lawyer" in Telecom and Broadcast Regulatory Law (2014-2015)
News & Insights
- April 2016 | Newsletter
- April 5, 2016 | AlertSummary of the April 1, 2016 NPRM: Protecting the Privacy of Customers of Broadband and Other Telecommunications Services (WC Docket No. 16-106; FCC 16-39)
- April 4, 2016 | Alert
- March 25, 2016 | ArticleLos Angeles Daily Journal
- January 27, 2016 | Media MentionLaw360
- December 4, 2015 | Media MentionLaw360
- November 6, 2015 | Media MentionLaw360
- October 28, 2015 | Alert
- September 30, 2015 | Media MentionThe Washington Post
- July 31, 2015 | Media MentionLaw360
- June 3, 2015 | Press Release
- April 23, 2015 | Press Release
- March 18, 2015 | SpeakerThe FCC's Open Internet Order: A New Era of Broadband RegulationWiley Rein Webinar
- March 16, 2015 | Article
- March 3, 2015 | Speaking EngagementLaw Seminars International Telebriefing
- February 26, 2015 | Article
- February 10, 2015 | ArticleLos Angeles Daily Journal
- February 4, 2015 | ArticleFCC Intends To Seek Treble Damages for Universal Service Fund and Other Federal Program Payment Violations
- November 19, 2014 | ArticleLos Angeles Daily JournalBy Bennett L. Ross, Brett A. Shumate
- November 14, 2014 | Press Release
- October 27, 2014 | Article
- October 16, 2014 | PanelistThe Telecom Transition to IP: Understanding the FCC's IP Transition, Interconnection, and Carrier ContractsLaw Seminars International Webinar
- July 25, 2014 | ArticleLos Angeles Daily Journal
- July 24, 2014 | Alert
- June 26, 2014 | Press Release
- June 3, 2014 | Alert
- May 19, 2014 | Alert
- May 9, 2014 | Washington, DC | SpeakerUSTelecom's Voice Interconnection: Yesterday’s Framework, Tomorrow’s Service
- May 7, 2014 | Press Release
- April 25, 2014 | Press Release
- April 2, 2014 | ArticleLos Angeles Daily Journal
- January 15, 2014 | Alert
- December 19, 2013 | AlertFCC Announces January 16, 2014 Effective Date for Rural Call Completion Order, Which Applies to All Long Distance Providers Including One-Way VoIP Providers
- June 12, 2013 | Washington, DC | SpeakerIP Policy Firewall versus Competition Policy and the Social ContractVCXC Start! Forum
- April 19, 2013 | Press Release
- February 27, 2013 | Press Release
- December 20, 2012 | AlertBy Bennett L. Ross, Amy E. Worlton
- May 14, 2012 | AlertBy Thomas J. Navin, Bennett L. Ross
- April 27, 2012 | Press Release
- February 8, 2012 | Alert
- November 21, 2011 | Alert
- August 2, 2011 | Alert
- July 1, 2011 | Alert
- March 9, 2011 | Press Release
- February 11, 2011 | AlertBy Thomas J. Navin, Bennett L. Ross
- February 4, 2011 | Alert
- November 18, 2010 | Press Release
- March 5, 2007 | Press Release