J.D., Vanderbilt Law School; Order of the Coif
B.S., magna cum laude, Washington and Lee University
Editor in Chief, Vanderbilt Law Review
Bar and Court Admissions
District of Columbia Bar
Supreme Court of the United States
U.S. Courts of Appeals for the Sixth, Eleventh, and District of Columbia Circuits
U.S. District Courts for the Eastern District of Tennessee, Middle District of Tennessee, and Northern District of Georgia
Supreme Court of Georgia
With more than 20 years of experience in the communications industry, Bennett is a trusted advisor to telecommunications carriers, equipment manufacturers, technology companies, and other clients seeking to navigate the complexities of the U.S. communications regulatory regime. He represents clients in litigation matters in the federal courts as well as before the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) and state public service commissions. His administrative experience includes representing clients in rulemakings, enforcement proceedings, and transactions involving regulated entities. Bennett also prepares and negotiates commercial agreements in the communications industry, providing regulatory, compliance, and commercial advice.
- Secured dismissal of FCC enforcement action against a wireless carrier.
- Successfully defended incumbent local exchange carrier in state commission proceedings seeking approximately $10 million in rate reductions.
- Successfully represented client in breach-of-contract action in federal bankruptcy court that resulted in a recovery in excess of $20 million.
- Successfully defended client in FCC enforcement action that involved issues of first impression under 47 U.S.C. § 333, which resulted in a favorable settlement.
- Successfully represented clients in acquiring and disposing of telecommunications carriers, including obtaining regulatory approvals at the federal and state level.
- Successfully represented trade association in securing forbearance from legacy telecommunications regulations.
- Represent clients before the FCC and state commissions in rulemaking and enforcement proceedings on broadband, universal service, network interconnection, and unbundling matters.
- Prepare and negotiate fiber IRU agreements, Internet peering agreements, and voice and data service agreements on behalf of clients in the United States and abroad.
- Counsel clients on federal and state regulatory requirements governing voice, video, and broadband services, as well as emerging technologies such as VoIP and cloud communications.
- Advise clients on privacy issues and federal E-rate program compliance.
- BellSouth Telecommunications, Inc
- General Counsel, Washington, DC and Georgia
- Senior Attorney, Regulatory and Governmental Affairs Section
- Partner, Bass, Berry & Sims (Nashville, TN)
- American Bar Association (ABA)
- Federal Communications Bar Association (FCBA)
- Board of Trustees, Washington and Lee University (2009-Present)
- Named one of DC's "Super Lawyers" for Communications by Super Lawyers magazine (2012-2016)
- Named by The Legal 500 US a "recommended lawyer" in Telecom and Broadcast Regulatory Law (2014-2016)
News & Insights
- September 23, 2016 | Press Release
- July 13, 2016 | Alert
- June 15, 2016 | Press Release
- May 11, 2016 | Press Release
- April 2016 | NewsletterFCC Issues NPRM on Protecting the Privacy of Customers of Broadband and Other Telecommunications Services
- April 5, 2016 | AlertSummary of the April 1, 2016 NPRM: Protecting the Privacy of Customers of Broadband and Other Telecommunications Services (WC Docket No. 16-106; FCC 16-39)
- April 4, 2016 | Alert
- March 25, 2016 | ArticleLos Angeles Daily JournalBennett L. Ross, Brett A. Shumate
- January 27, 2016 | Media MentionLaw360
- December 4, 2015 | Media MentionLaw360
- November 6, 2015 | Media MentionLaw360
- October 28, 2015 | Alert
- September 30, 2015 | Media MentionThe Washington Post
- July 31, 2015 | Media MentionLaw360
- June 3, 2015 | Press ReleaseLegal 500 US Recognizes 32 Wiley Rein Lawyers Across Seven Practices Nationally; Four Partners Are ‘Leading Lawyers’
- April 23, 2015 | Press Release
- March 18, 2015 | Speaking EngagementThe FCC's Open Internet Order: A New Era of Broadband RegulationWiley Rein Webinar
- March 16, 2015 | Article
- March 3, 2015 | Speaking EngagementLaw Seminars International TelebriefingBennett L. Ross
- February 26, 2015 | Article
- February 10, 2015 | ArticleLos Angeles Daily JournalBennett L. Ross
- February 4, 2015 | ArticleFCC Intends To Seek Treble Damages for Universal Service Fund and Other Federal Program Payment Violations
- November 19, 2014 | ArticleLos Angeles Daily JournalBennett L. Ross, Brett A. Shumate
- November 14, 2014 | Press Release
- October 27, 2014 | Article
- October 16, 2014 | Speaking EngagementThe Telecom Transition to IP: Understanding the FCC's IP Transition, Interconnection, and Carrier ContractsLaw Seminars International WebinarBennett L. Ross, Panelist
- July 25, 2014 | ArticleLos Angeles Daily JournalBennett L. Ross
- July 24, 2014 | Alert
- June 26, 2014 | Press Release
- June 3, 2014 | Alert
- May 19, 2014 | Alert
- May 9, 2014 | Washington, DC | Speaking EngagementUSTelecom's Voice Interconnection: Yesterday’s Framework, Tomorrow’s ServiceBennett L. Ross, Speaker
- May 7, 2014 | Press Release
- April 25, 2014 | Press Release“Super Lawyers” Recognizes 66 Wiley Rein Attorneys in Washington, DC Area Across 18 Areas of the Law
- April 2, 2014 | ArticleLos Angeles Daily JournalBennett L. Ross
- January 15, 2014 | Alert
- December 19, 2013 | AlertFCC Announces January 16, 2014 Effective Date for Rural Call Completion Order, Which Applies to All Long Distance Providers Including One-Way VoIP Providers
- June 12, 2013 | Washington, DC | Speaking EngagementIP Policy Firewall versus Competition Policy and the Social ContractVCXC Start! ForumBennett L. Ross, Speaker
- April 19, 2013 | Press Release
- February 27, 2013 | Press Release
- December 20, 2012 | AlertBennett L. Ross, Amy E. Worlton
- May 14, 2012 | Alert
- April 27, 2012 | Press Release
- February 8, 2012 | Alert
- November 21, 2011 | Alert
- August 2, 2011 | Alert
- July 1, 2011 | Alert
- March 9, 2011 | Press Release
- February 11, 2011 | Alert
- February 4, 2011 | Alert
- November 18, 2010 | Press Release
- March 5, 2007 | Press Release