LL.M., with honors, The George Washington University Law School
J.D., with honors, University of Iowa School of Law
B.A., Black Hills State College
Bar and Court Admissions
District of Columbia Bar
U.S. Courts of Appeals for the Fifth and Federal Circuits
U.S. Court of Federal Claims
District of Columbia Court of Appeals
Bill has 35 years of experience advising businesses on a broad range of legal issues. He represents clients on commercial, federal, state, and local procurement matters, including internal ethics and compliance programs, bid protests, and contractor and government claims, including defense of False Claims Act matters, disputes, responding to audits and investigations, and proposed debarment and suspension. Bill’s practice includes international trade issues such as the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR), export control, and investigations related to Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA).
- Represents clients in contract claims through Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR), Board litigations, and in federal court. Has handled numerous claims and contractual issues arising out of Iraq reconstruction and major construction projects.
- Assists clients in achieving favorable U.S. Government Accountability Office (GAO) decisions or agency corrective actions in bid protests including A-76 and contracting out competitions.
- Represents commercial companies in addressing the unique risks and obligations involved when selling to the government as well as in connection with disputes between prime contractors and subcontractors.
- Building upon his prior experience advising the Department of the Navy on suspension, debarment, and present responsibility of government contractors, he represents commercial companies and government contractors in the establishment of comprehensive Ethical Contracts Compliance programs and in connection with Corporate Governance issues. Provides support to ensure that employees are trained on compliance issues and that compliance programs reflect current legal and business ethics requirements.
- Represents clients in responding to criminal, civil, and administrative subpoenas, investigations, and audits and conducting internal audits and investigations, including with respect to adherence to internal compliance policies and programs.
- Represents clients on export control matters, particularly as they relate to ITAR before the Department of State.
- Advises multinational companies on FCPA issues, including internal audits and investigations, transactional due diligence, and compliance programs.
- Assists clients in response to government investigations and subpoenas related to allegations of false claims, fraud, kickbacks, and criminal offenses.
- Chief Counsel, Wang Laboratories, Inc., Federal Services Division (1982-1985)
- Assistant to the General Counsel, U.S. Navy (1979-1982)
- Attorney-Advisor, Navy Regional Procurement Center (1976-1979)
- American Bar Association (ABA)
- Vice-Chair, Section of Public Contract Law, Privatization, Outsourcing and Related Transactions Committee (2001-Present)
- Defense Science Board, Task Force on the Impact of E-Commerce on U.S. Department of Defense Acquisition Processes (2001-2002)
- Board of Advisors, SAI Global (a leading online provider of compliance materials) and contributor to its government contract compliance products
- Named one of DC's "Super Lawyers" for Government Contracts by Super Lawyers magazine (2013-2017)
- AV Peer Review Rating, Martindale-Hubbell's highest ranking by peers for general ethical standards and legal ability
News & Insights
- January 12, 2016 | Press ReleaseWiley Rein Wins Law360’s Government Contracts ‘Practice Group of the Year’ Award for ‘High-Profile Wins’ in a ‘Variety of Forums’
- Fall 2015 | ArticleTwo Systems, Two Types of Risk: How the World Bank Sanctions Regime Differs from US Suspension and DebarmentABA Public Contact Law Section's The Procurement Lawyer
- September 15, 2015 | ArticleView from Wiley Rein: The World Bank’s Sanctions Regime Is a World Apart from the Suspension and Debarment System Federal Contractors KnowBloomberg BNA's Federal Contracts Report
- April 23, 2015 | Press Release
- Fall 2014 | ArticleThe Novation of Government Contracts and the Unreliable and Unpredictable "Operation of Law" ExceptionThe Procurement Lawyer, Vol. 50, No. 1William A. Roberts, III, Kay Tatum
- May 15, 2014 | Arlington, VA | Speaking EngagementAdministrative Agreements - A View From the OutsideU.S. Navy OGC SymposiumWilliam A. Roberts, III, Panelist
- May 2014 | ArticleFinancial Fraud Law Report
- April 25, 2014 | Press Release“Super Lawyers” Recognizes 66 Wiley Rein Attorneys in Washington, DC Area Across 18 Areas of the Law
- March 24, 2014 | Press Release
- March 20, 2014 | Alert
- April 19, 2013 | Press Release
- November 12, 2012 | Arlington, VA | Speaking EngagementWhat to Do When You Disagree with DCAA Audit Findings: When and How Far to Push Back, and Successful Rebuttal StrategiesACI's 4th National Forum on DCAA AuditsWilliam A. Roberts, III, Speaker
- July 25, 2012 | San Diego, CA | Speaking EngagementWhat Triggers DCAA Penalties and Costly Litigation: When a DCAA Audit Leads to False Claims or Fraud Liability, and the Price of ViolationsDCAA Audit and Compliance Boot CampWilliam A. Roberts, III, Speaker
- July 24, 2012 | San Diego, CA | Speaking EngagementKey Requirements Under the New DFARS Business Systems Rule: Preventing Payment Withholdings and Significant DeficienciesAudit and Compliance Boot CampWilliam A. Roberts, III, Speaker
- June 10, 2012 | Arlington, VA | Speaking EngagementOMG: What If Sequestration Happens? A "Nuts & Bolts" Review But Not Legal AdviceProfessional Services CouncilWilliam A. Roberts, III, Speaker
- May 1, 2012 | Media MentionWiley Rein's William Roberts and John Shane Talk to The Metropolitan Corporate Counsel about the FCPA and UK Bribery ActThe Metropolitan Corporate Counsel
- March 27, 2012 | Annapolis, MD | Speaking EngagementFiscal and Budgetary Pressures in Federal ProcurementAmerican Bar AssociationWilliam A. Roberts, III, Speaker
- November 30, 2011 | Washington, DC | Speaking EngagementDetermining When and How to Challenge DCAA Audit Findings: Weighing the Risks and Rewards of Filing an AppealAmerican Conference Institute's DCAA Audits ConferenceWilliam A. Roberts, III, Co-Chair and Speaker
- August 3, 2011 | Media MentionGovernment Contracts Practice Co-Chair William Roberts Weighs in on Conflict Involving Iraq Security ContractsLaw360
- May 1, 2011 | San Diego, CA | Speaking EngagementWinning the Audit: Strategic Thinking and Action to Avoid LitigationAmerican Conference InstituteWilliam A. Roberts, III, Speaker
- April 6, 2011 | Washington, DC and Orlando, FL | Speaking EngagementPublic Contracting InstituteWilliam A. Roberts, III, Faculty, John R. Shane, Faculty
- February 15, 2011 | Press Release
- February 1, 2011 | Washington, DC | Speaking EngagementKnowing How the Government Is Applying the False Claims Act and Other Civil and Criminal Statutes to Battlefield SituationsAmerican Conference InstituteWilliam A. Roberts, III, Speaker
- January 1, 2011 | Washington, DC | Speaking EngagementIssues Related to Corporate MonitorsAmerican Bar AssociationWilliam A. Roberts, III, Speaker
- June 8, 2010 | Press Release
- October 29, 2007 | Press ReleaseWiley Rein Teams with SAI Global to Deliver Broader Risk Management Solutions for U.S. Government Contractors
- March 21, 2003 | Press ReleaseGovernment Contract Lawyers Succeed in First Court Decision Rejecting Union Constitutional Arguments