J.D., magna cum laude, University of Michigan Law School; Order of the Coif
B.A., with high honors, Michigan State University
Bar and Court Admissions
District of Columbia Bar
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
U.S. District Courts for the District of Columbia, District of Maryland, and Western District of Tennessee
U.S. Court of Federal Claims
Bill represents clients in complex civil litigation matters. He has particular expertise representing professional and general liability insurance carriers in coverage litigation, as well as telecommunications carriers in commercial litigation and arbitration proceedings. Bill also routinely counsels and provides strategic advice to insurers in connection with claims and policies issued in a wide variety of insurance lines.
- Counsels insurers and serves as monitoring and coverage counsel in a wide range of matters, including in connection with claims and exposures under liability policies issued to directors and officers, fiduciaries, financial institutions, investment advisors, mutual funds, insurance companies, and insurance brokers.
- Represents insurers in coverage litigation and in alternative dispute resolution proceedings nationwide.
- Represents insurers in negotiations to resolve underlying claims and coverage disputes, including routinely in mediations and settlement conferences.
- Represents corporate clients in a wide range of federal and state court litigation, including declaratory judgment actions and actions alleging breach of contract, fraud, bad faith, violation of consumer protection statutes, rescission, and false advertising.
- Associate Litigation Counsel, WorldCom, Inc. (1999-2002). Responsible for handling and managing domestic and international commercial disputes, government contract litigation, and consumer class action litigation
- Professional Liability Underwriting Society (PLUS)
- Listed by Chambers USA as one of "America's Leading Lawyers for Business" (2007-2008)
News & Insights
- April 20, 2015 | Press Release
- February 15, 2012 | Speaking EngagementPLI BriefingWilliam E. Smith, Speaker
- July 2011 | ArticleCurrent Issues Relevant to Directors and Officers Liability InsurancePLI Hot Topics in Commercial Insurance Law 2011William E. Smith
- June 18, 2008 | Press ReleaseWiley Rein's Insurance Group Receives Chambers USA Top Ranking; Eight Insurance Partners Named Leading Lawyers
- June 29, 2007 | Press ReleaseWiley Rein's Insurance Group Receives Top Ranking from Chambers USA; Eight Insurance Partners Named Leading Lawyers
- December 29, 2003 | Press Release
- October 9, 2002 | Press Release