J.D., cum laude, University of Pennsylvania Law School; Order of the Coif
B.A., cum laude, Ursinus College
Senior Editor, University of Pennsylvania Law Review
Law Clerk for the Honorable Daniel M. Friedman, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit (2006-2007)
Bar and Court Admissions
District of Columbia Bar
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
U.S. Court of Federal Claims
Brian counsels and represents government contractors and subcontractors, as well as federal and state grant recipients, on a broad range of government contracts matters, including contract claims and disputes, teaming and subcontracting issues, data rights and intellectual property issues, government investigations and audits, and compliance with ethics and procurement integrity laws. He further represents clients in bid protests before the Government Accountability Office (GAO) and the U.S. Court of Federal Claims (COFC) and has litigated hundreds of protests at these forums.
Brian also actively participates in Wiley Rein’s pro bono program and has assisted clients in achieving successful results in a variety of different areas, including parole hearings, divorce and custody matters, and landlord-tenant disputes. Further, Brian is an active member of the firm’s Diversity Committee.
- Litigates bid protests before the GAO and the COFC.
- Counsels clients in the development of government contracts ethics and corporate compliance programs.
- Represents and counsels health care clients in protests and contract administration matters relating to Defense Health Agency and Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services contracts.
- Defends clients proposed for suspension and/or debarment from contracting with the federal government.
- Represents government contractors in claims and disputes before the COFC and the Boards of Contract Appeals.
- Counsels clients on data rights, licensing and technology agreements, proprietary information and non-disclosure agreements, and other intellectual property issues, including protection of proprietary and confidential information from release under the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA).
- Defends False Claims Act (FCA) actions in federal district courts, including claims of whistleblower protection violations.
- Conducts internal investigations relating to various government contracting issues and defends clients in U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ) and inspector general investigations.
- Assists clients in drafting Requests for Equitable Adjustments (REA) based on added costs incurred during the performance of a government contract.
- Counsels clients on the Federal Acquisition Regulation (FAR) and export control regulations.
- Intern for the Honorable Mary A. McLaughlin and the Honorable Thomas J. Rueter, U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania (Summer 2004)
- American Bar Association (ABA), Section of Public Contract Law
- Co-Chair, Diversity Committee (2015-Present)
- Council Member (2015-Present)
- Vice-Chair, Bid Protest Committee
- Federal Circuit Bar Association (FCBA)
- Co-Vice Chair, Government Contracts Committee
- Government Contracts Committee Liaison to the Membership Committee
- Monthly Contributor, FCBA Case Digest (Government Contracts Appeals Summaries)
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims Bar Association
- Named one of DC's "Rising Stars" by Super Lawyers magazine (2017)
- Listed by Chambers USA as one of “Americas Leading Lawyers for Business - Up and Coming” in Government Contracts (2017)
- Named by The Legal 500 US a "recommended lawyer" in Government Contracts (2017)
News & Insights
- May 31, 2017 | Press Release
- May 26, 2017 | Press ReleaseChambers USA Recognizes 27 Wiley Rein Attorneys Across 11 Practice Areas as Among Best in the Country
- May 18, 2017 | Alert
- April 20, 2017 | Arlington, VA | Speaking EngagementNGMA's 2017 Annual Grants TrainingKendra P. Norwood, Brian Walsh, Speaker
- April 18, 2017 | Media MentionBloomberg BNA’s Federal Contracts Report
- April 18, 2017 | Online Webcast | Speaking EngagementFederal Circuit Bar Association Government Contracting Committee
- April 14, 2017 | AlertBrian Walsh, Kendra P. Norwood
- April 11, 2017 | Arlington, VA | Speaking EngagementABA Section of Public Contract Law: Young Lawyers Committee Law School Outreach Spring 2017George Mason University School of LawBrian Walsh, Panelist
- March 29, 2017 | Online Webinar | Speaking EngagementThompson Grants
- March 28, 2017 | ArticleGovernment Contracting Law Report
- March 22, 2017 | Orlando, FL | Speaking EngagementFederal Publications SeminarsKendra P. Norwood, Brian Walsh
- March 17, 2017 | Annapolis, MD | Speaking Engagement23rd Annual Federal Procurement Institute—Riding the Next Wave: Bid ProtestsAmerican Bar Association Public Contract Law SectionBrian Walsh, Moderator
- January 31, 2017 | Alert
- January 30, 2017 | Alert
- January 25, 2017 | ArticleEnsuring Your Victory Is Not Pyrrhic: Options Following a GAO Sustainment or Voluntary Corrective ActionBloomberg BNA's Federal Contracts ReportBrian Walsh, Cara L. Lasley
- December 19, 2016 | Alert
- November 30, 2016 | Press Release
- November 8, 2016 | Washington, DC | Speaking EngagementSpurring Innovation Through Non-Traditional Procurement VehiclesAPTAC Fall 2016 Training Conference
- November 2016 | NewsletterThreat of False Claims Act Suits Undermines Attempts to Focus Universities on Mission Rather than Administrative Compliance
- November 1, 2016 | Press Release
- October 20, 2016 | Press ReleasePlaintiffs Hail U.S. Department of Justice Intervention in Pocomoke City Race Discrimination and Retaliation Case
- Summer 2016 | ArticlePublic Contract Law Journal, Vol. 45, No. 4
- August 30, 2016 | AlertPreparing for the September 30, 2016 Sunset on GAO Jurisdiction over Civilian Agency Task Order Protests
- August 22, 2016 | Alert
- August 8, 2016 | AlertNIH Seeks Comments on Proposed Changes to Human-Animal Chimera Research Policy Which Could Result in Numerous New Grant and Contract Opportunities
- July 14, 2016 | Alert
- June 21, 2016 | Online Webinar | Speaking EngagementKey Risk Areas in Federal GrantsColumbia Books and Information Services
- June 2, 2016 | Press ReleasePlaintiffs in Pocomoke City Race Discrimination Case Refute Defendants’ Baseless Attempts to Excuse Misconduct, Citing EEOC Support
- March 14, 2016 | Media MentionLaw360
- February 24, 2016 | Media MentionLaw360
- February 24, 2016 | Online Webinar | Speaking EngagementFederal Grants in 2016: Do you Still Comply?Columbia Books & Information Services
- February 17, 2016 | Alert
- January 21, 2016 | Press ReleaseWiley Rein, Washington Lawyers’ Committee, and ACLU of Maryland Jointly File Federal Lawsuit Challenging Pattern of Race Discrimination and Retaliation Against African American Police Officers on the Eastern Shore of Maryland
- December 3, 2015 | Webinar | Speaking Engagement
- October 27, 2015 | ArticleView from Wiley Rein: The Federal Circuit’s (Accidental?) Expansion of Interested Party Status in Tinton Falls Lodging Realty, Inc. v. United StatesBloomberg BNA's Federal Contracts Report
- September 23, 2015 | AlertUSAID Grant Regulations Continue USAID’s Practice of Treating Foreign Organizations Differently Than U.S.-Based Grantees & Clarify Which Cost Principles Apply to For-Profit Grant RecipientsBrian Walsh
- September 2015 | ArticleA Bad Day for Proposal Consultants—GAO Finds Agency May Reasonably Prohibit Use of Consultants for Proposal Preparation PurposesPratt's Government Contracting Law Report
- Summer 2015 | ArticlePublic Contract Law Journal, Vol. 44, No. 4
- June 30, 2015 | Alert
- April 1, 2015 | AlertA Bad Day for Proposal Consultants-GAO Finds Agency May Reasonably Prohibit Use of Consultants for Proposal Preparation Purposes
- March 3, 2015 | ArticleBloomberg BNA's Federal Contracts Report
- January 22, 2015 | Washington, DC | Speaking EngagementGenerational Diversity in the Legal ProfessionFederal Circuit Bar Association Webcast EventBrian Walsh, Panelist
- Fall 2014 | NewsletterThe “No Federal Contracts for Corporate Deserters Act of 2014”—Congress’s Latest Attempt to Address Inverted Domestic Corporations
- September 16, 2014 | ArticleBloomberg BNA's Federal Contracts Report
- August 9, 2014 | Boston, MA | Speaking EngagementLPTA Procurements—Are They Really Protest Proof?ABA Section of Public Contract Law Annual MeetingBrian Walsh, Speaker
- November 14, 2013 | Press Release
- October 11, 2013 | ArticleLaw360Brian Walsh
- September 13, 2013 | AlertFederal Circuit Gives Judges Greater Discretion to Second-Guess Cost Reasonableness; Denies Government's Ambitious Fraud CounterclaimsBrian Walsh
- Summer 2013 | ArticlePublic Contract Law Journal, Vol. 42, No. 4
- June 26, 2013 | Media MentionLaw360
- February 26, 2013 | Online Webinar | Speaking EngagementWiley Rein Government Contracts Boot CampPaul F. Khoury, Speaker, Brian Walsh, Speaker
- Winter 2013 | Newsletter
- January 22, 2013 | ArticleCOFC Suggests a Possible Exception to the Axiom Standard for Supplementing the Administrative RecordBloomberg BNA's Federal Contracts ReportPhilip J. Davis, Brian Walsh
- January 4, 2013 | Press ReleaseWiley Rein Files Amicus Brief for Trade Groups Regarding the Proper Standard for Determining Cost Reasonableness in Government Contracts, as Well as the Causation Necessary to Support Government Counterclaims for Fraud
- December 11, 2012 | AlertKara M. Sacilotto, Brian Walsh
- November 14, 2012 | Alert
- Summer 2012 | ArticleFederal Circuit Year-In-Review 2011: Certainty and Uncertainty in Federal Government ContractsPublic Contract Law Journal, Vol. 41
- February 22, 2012 | Alert
- August 2011 - Present | ArticleFederal Circuit Bar Association Case Digest Government Contract Case SummariesBrian Walsh
- June 8, 2011 | AlertSupreme Court Holds Bayh-Dole Act Does Not Automatically Vest Patent Rights in Federally Funded Inventions to Federal ContractorsScott A. Felder, Brian Walsh
- May 18, 2011 | Press Release