B.A., B.S.Econ., summa cum laude, University of Pennsylvania
J.D., magna cum laude, Harvard Law School
Editor, Harvard Law Review
Law Clerk for the Honorable James Hunter III, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit (1979-1980)
Bar and Court Admissions
District of Columbia Bar
Supreme Court of the United States
U.S. Courts of Appeals for the Second, Third, Fourth, Ninth, District of Columbia, and Federal Circuits
U.S. District Courts for the District of Columbia and Eastern District of Pennsylvania
Bruce serves as senior counsel to Wiley Rein LLP. He represents clients in connection with copyright litigation, music and sound recording licensing negotiations and litigation, copyright and digital content protection legislation, regulation and inter-industry activities, and copyright and trademark licensing and registration. Bruce has been deeply involved in issues relating to the Internet, digital technology protection measures, and DRMs.
Chambers USA calls Bruce “an expert on matters relating to sound recording licensing and ISP liability” (2014) and “one of the USA’s foremost experts in copyright protection” (2012). It also has described him as “a renowned specialist in copyright protection and litigation matters” (2013) and commended him for his “excellent legal mind” (2014), “deep understanding of the law and business” (2011) and for being “an utterly phenomenal litigator” (2010). The Legal 500 US 2012 edition recommends Bruce as “one of the premier copyright lawyers in the USA.”
Bruce also has been named by Legal Times as one of the DC-region’s 10 “Leading Intellectual Property Lawyers” in the areas of copyright and trademark and by Washingtonian magazine as one of “Washington’s Top Lawyers,” among other honors.
- Serving as lead counsel for the radio industry in litigation before the Copyright Royalty Board to establish sound recording license fees for webcasting for 2016-2020.
- Served as lead counsel representing major wireless services in Rate Court litigation against the American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers (ASCAP) in connection with ringback tones, ringtone previews, and mobile video, successfully obtaining summary judgment that ringtones do not implicate the public performance right.
- Served as lead counsel representing broadcast radio and subscription satellite radio clients in prior sound recording fee proceedings before the Copyright Royalty Board and argued D.C. Circuit appeal on behalf of certain radio broadcasters.
- Testified and submitted extensive comments on behalf of the National Association of Broadcasters, CTIA-The Wireless Association, and Verizon, successfully opposing a rule proposed by the U.S. Copyright Office that would have required services making streamed performances of music to pay a distribution royalty in addition to the public performance royalties they already pay. The proposed rule would have had broad ramifications for all services making digital performances and displays of copyrighted content.
- Represented various clients in negotiations leading to enactment of the 1998 Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA), the 2004 Copyright Royalty and Distribution Act, the 2002 Technology Education and Copyright Harmonization Act, the 2002 Small Webcaster Settlement Act, and the 1992 Audio Home Recording Act.
- Represented a leading Internet service provider in a successful challenge to the recording industry's use of expansive DMCA subpoenas (Verizon v. Recording Industry Association of America).
- Defended Google against claims by the Agence France Presse (AFP) that the Google News website infringed AFP copyrights in news headlines, story leads, and photographs.
- Represented the wireless industry during the Copyright Office's 2009 and 2012 triennial rulemakings under section 1201, submitting comments and testifying (2009) in opposition to proposed exemptions to permit the circumvention of certain mobile phone system locks.
- Participated extensively in multi-industry content protection activities including the Copy Protection Technical Working Group, the DVD Copy Control Association, the Broadcast Protection Discussion Group, and the Secure Digital Music Initiative.
- Filed amicus briefs and memoranda in leading copyright and music licensing cases, including MGM v. Grokster in the Supreme Court; Authors Guild v. HathiTrust; RIAA v. Diamond Multimedia; U.S. vs. ASCAP (the DMX, MobiTV and Music Choices cases); ALS Scan v. Remarq; Ellison v. Robertson; and CoStar Group, Inc. et al. v. LoopNet Inc.
- Advisory Board, Bloomberg BNA's Patent, Trademark & Copyright Journal (1996-Present)
- Trustee (1996-1998) and Past President, The Copyright Society of the USA, Washington, DC Chapter
- Listed by Chambers USA as one of "America's Leading Lawyers for Business" in Intellectual Property: Trademark, Copyright & Trade Secrets (2010-2016)
- Named by The Legal 500 US a "recommended lawyer" in Copyright Law (2011-2016)
- Named the Washington, DC Copyright Law "Lawyer of the Year" by The Best Lawyers in America directory (2017)
- Named one of DC's "Super Lawyers" for Intellectual Property by Super Lawyers magazine (2010-2016)
- Included in The Best Lawyers in America directory for Copyright Law (2014-2017)
- Named by Lawdragon as one of "3000 Leading Lawyers in America" (2010-2011)
- Named one of "Washington's Best Lawyers" (2011, 2013) and "Washington's Top Lawyers" (2009) by Washingtonian magazine
- Named as one of the Washington, DC area's 10 "Leading Intellectual Property Lawyers" by Legal Times in the areas of copyright and trademark (2008)
- AV Peer Review Rating, Martindale-Hubbell's highest ranking by peers for general ethical standards and legal ability
News & Insights
- June 15, 2016 | Press Release
- May 27, 2016 | Press ReleaseChambers USA Recognizes 31 Wiley Rein Attorneys Across 13 Practice Areas as Among Best in the Country
- August 17, 2015 | Press ReleaseTwenty-Two Wiley Rein Attorneys Recognized Across 17 Practice Areas in the 2016 Edition of Best Lawyers
- June 3, 2015 | Press ReleaseLegal 500 US Recognizes 32 Wiley Rein Lawyers Across Seven Practices Nationally; Four Partners Are ‘Leading Lawyers’
- May 19, 2015 | Press ReleaseChambers USA Recognizes 31 Wiley Rein Attorneys Across 13 Practice Areas as Among Best in the Country
- April 23, 2015 | Press Release
- August 18, 2014 | Press ReleaseTwenty-Nine Wiley Rein Attorneys Recognized Across 22 Practice Areas in the 2015 Edition of Best Lawyers
- June 26, 2014 | Press Release
- June 25, 2014 | AlertSupreme Court Sides with Broadcasters, Holding that Aereo Internet TV Service Infringes Public Performance Copyright RightsBruce G. Joseph
- June 11, 2014 | ArticleSecond Circuit Upholds the Fair Use Rights of University Libraries To Digitize Their Collections To Make Them More Accessible for Uses that Promote LearningBruce G. Joseph
- May 23, 2014 | Press ReleaseChambers USA Recognizes 34 Wiley Rein Attorneys Across 15 Practice Areas as Among Best in the Country
- April 25, 2014 | Press Release“Super Lawyers” Recognizes 66 Wiley Rein Attorneys in Washington, DC Area Across 18 Areas of the Law
- April 8, 2014 | Las Vegas, NV | Speaking EngagementCopyright and Social Media: Fair Use or Foul Play?2014 NAB Show Broadcast Management ConferenceBruce G. Joseph, Panelist
- March 20, 2014 | Press Release
- March 19, 2014 | New York, NY | Speaking EngagementMusic Business Association's Entertainment & Technology Law ConferenceBruce G. Joseph, Panelist
- November 21, 2013 | Press Release
- November 19, 2013 | Atlanta, GA | Speaking EngagementBruce G. Joseph, Panelist
- September 26, 2013 | New York, NY | Speaking EngagementMusic Publishers Withdrawing Digital Catalog from PROs: Implications for Songwriters, Publishers, Digital Services, and Antitrust LawEntertainment & Technology Law ConferenceBruce G. Joseph, Moderator
- September 20, 2013 | Orlando, FL | Speaking Engagement2013 NAB Radio ShowBruce G. Joseph, Panelist
- August 15, 2013 | Press ReleaseTwenty-Six Wiley Rein Partners Recognized Across 18 Practice Areas in the 2014 Edition of Best Lawyers
- June 11, 2013 | Bolton Landing, NY | Speaking EngagementPlease Excuse the Following Disruption: The Past, Present and Possible Future of Television and Radio Copyright LitigationCopyright Society of the USA Annual MeetingBruce G. Joseph, Panelist
- June 5, 2013 | Press Release
- June 4, 2013 | Press ReleaseLegal 500 US Recognizes 25 Wiley Rein Lawyers Across Five Practices Nationally; Wiley and Senkowski Are "Leading Lawyers"
- May 29, 2013 | Press Release
- May 24, 2013 | Press ReleaseChambers USA Recognizes 31 Wiley Rein Attorneys Across 14 Practice Areas as Among Best in the Country
- April 19, 2013 | Press Release
- April 2, 2013 | AlertBruce G. Joseph, Andrew G. McBride
- July 20, 2012 | AlertBruce G. Joseph
- June 11, 2012 | Press Release
- June 7, 2012 | Press ReleaseChambers USA Recognizes Thirty-Two Wiley Rein Attorneys Across Fifteen Practice Areas as Best in the Country
- June 1, 2012 | Press Release
- May 30, 2012 | Press ReleaseThe Legal 500 US Ranks Four Wiley Rein Practices Among Nation's Best; Wiley and Senkowski Named 'Leading Lawyers'
- April 27, 2012 | Press Release
- April 16, 2012 | Las Vegas, NV | Speaking EngagementBroadcaster and the Beast: Tales of Copyright and Patent AdventuresThe NAB ShowBruce G. Joseph, Panelist
- March 30, 2012 | Washington, DC | Speaking EngagementThe Future of Music ConsumptionFifth Annual Georgetown Entertainment & Media Alliance, Law Division Sports & Entertainment Law SymposiumBruce G. Joseph, Panelist
- November 23, 2011 | Press Release
- September 19, 2011 | Alexandria, VA | Speaking EngagementCopyright Technology 101United States Copyright Office and the Patent and Trademark Office Conference on Copyright in the Digital AgeBruce G. Joseph, Speaker
- June 13, 2011 | Press Release
- June 10, 2011 | Press ReleaseThirty Wiley Rein Attorneys from More than a Dozen Practice Areas Included as Best in Class by Chambers USA
- June 2, 2011 | Press Release
- May 3, 2011 | Press Release
- March 7, 2011 | AlertWayne D. Johnsen, Bruce G. Joseph
- March 4, 2011 | AlertWayne D. Johnsen, Bruce G. Joseph
- March 2, 2011 | Press Release
- January 7, 2011 | AlertBruce G. Joseph, Andrew G. McBride
- June 14, 2010 | Press ReleaseChambers USA Ranks Wiley Rein Intellectual Property Practice among Washington, DC's Best; Names James H. Wallace, Jr. and Bruce G. Joseph "Leading Lawyers"
- June 11, 2010 | Press ReleaseMore Than Two Dozen Wiley Rein Attorneys in Nine Practice Areas Included in the 2010 Edition of Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business
- April 30, 2010 | Press Release
- November 24, 2009 | Press ReleaseWashingtonian Magazine Dubs Richard E. Wiley a "Star of the Bar;" Names a Dozen Attorneys to its List of DC's "Top Lawyers"
- April 29, 2008 | Press Release
- April 8, 2008 | Press Release
- February 7, 2006 | Press Release
- June 28, 2005 | Press ReleaseSupreme Court's Grokster Ruling Reaffirms Key Aspects of Sony Defense Consistent With WRF Amicus Filings But Creates New Theory of Liability for Intentional, Active Inducement
- March 1, 2005 | Press ReleaseWRF Files Supreme Court Brief in Grokster Copyright Case on Behalf of Consumer Electronics Association, Computer & Communications Industry Association and Home Recording Rights Coalition
- June 28, 2004 | Press Release
- June 1, 2004 | Press ReleaseCourt Follows Reasoning of WRF Amicus Brief and Argument in Copyright Case and Confirms Constraints on Potential Liability of Internet Service Providers
- January 6, 2004 | Press Release
- December 19, 2003 | Press Release
- October 15, 2003 | Press Release
- October 9, 2003 | Press Release
- May 21, 2002 | Press ReleaseWRF Copyright Attorneys Monitor Rejection of Proposed Copyright Royalties for Webcasting Sound Recordings