J.D., cum laude, The University of Chicago Law School; Recipient, Hinton Moot Court Cup
A.B., magna cum laude, Harvard-Radcliffe College
Law Clerk for the Honorable Nancy F. Atlas, U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Texas (2000-2001)
Bar and Court Admissions
District of Columbia Bar
U.S. Courts of Appeals for the Second, Third, Fourth, Fifth, Sixth, Ninth, and Eleventh Circuits
Cara represents insurers in complex disputes arising under directors and officers and other professional liability and general liability coverages. She provides strategic counseling to insurers for underlying exposures presented by securities and derivative litigation, government investigations, mergers and acquisitions, and bankruptcy. Cara litigates coverage and bad faith actions on behalf of insurers around the country at the trial and appellate levels.
- Won summary judgment for insurer affirming its allocation of settlements between covered and non-covered matters and dismissing bad faith claims. United Nat’l Ins. Co. v. Indian Harbor Ins. Co., No. 14-6425 (E.D. Pa. Feb. 8, 2016).
- Won summary judgment ruling for an insurer in a false advertising case based on failure to conform exclusion. General Star Indemnity Co. v. Driven Sports, Inc., No. 14-3579, 2015 WL 307017 (E.D.N.Y. Jan. 23, 2015).
- Obtained monetary judgment for an insurer based on prior knowledge, fraud and profit exclusions, and right to recoup defense costs. Protection Strategies, Inc. v. Starr Indemnity & Liability Co., No. 13-763, 2014 WL 1655370 (E.D. Va. Apr. 23, 2014).
- Secured appellate reversal of an adverse district court judgment creating coverage by estoppel for a non-insured. Britt v. General Star Indemnity Co., 494 F. App'x 151 (2d Cir. 2012).
- Won summary judgment for excess insurer in coverage dispute over internal and regulatory investigation costs arising from corporate restatement. The Goodyear Tire & Rubber Co. v. Nat'l Union Fire Ins. Co., No. 08-1789, 2011 WL 5024823 (N.D. Ohio Sep. 19, 2011), aff'd, 694 F.3d 781 (6th Cir. 2012).
- Won summary judgment for excess insurer on prior knowledge exclusion in coverage dispute arising from collapse of commodities broker. Murphy v. Allied World Assurance Co., No. 2009 WL 1227485 (S.D.N.Y. Apr. 30, 2009), aff'd, 370 F. App'x 193 (2d Cir. 2010).
- American Bar Association (ABA), Section of Litigation
- Co-Chair, Women in Insurance Subcommittee
- Insurance Coverage Litigation Committee
- Professional Liability Underwriting Society (PLUS)
- Named by The Legal 500 US a “recommended lawyer” in Insurance Law (2017)
- Named to Business Insurance magazine's list of "Women to Watch" (2015)
- Recognized by Law360 as a "Rising Star" in Insurance Law (2013)
News & Insights
- May 31, 2017 | Press Release
- October 20, 2016 | Washington, DC | Speaking EngagementAmerican Bar AssociationCara Tseng Duffield, Co-Chair
- March 4, 2016 | Tucson, AZ | Speaking EngagementABA's 2016 Insurance Coverage Litigation Committee CLE SeminarCara Tseng Duffield, Speaker
- December 7, 2015 | Press ReleaseWiley Rein’s Cara Tseng Duffield Named to Business Insurance Magazine’s 2015 List of ‘Women to Watch’
- March 4, 2015 | Tucson, AZ | Speaking EngagementABA's 2015 Insurance Coverage Litigation Committee CLE SeminarCara Tseng Duffield, Speaker
- November 7, 2014 | Chicago, IL | Speaking EngagementAre You in Control? Deconstructing Insurance Coverage Issues in the Context of Contractual Indemnification ObligationsWomen of the ABA Section of Litigation ConferenceCara Tseng Duffield, Speaker
- April 11, 2014 | Scottsdale, AZ | Speaking EngagementStressed About Distress: What Happens When One of the Parties to Your Lawsuit Is in Danger of Filing for Bankruptcy?ABA Section of Litigation ConferenceCara Tseng Duffield, Speaker
- December 12, 2013 | New York, NY | Speaking EngagementCoverage for Misconduct on Wall Street: LIBOR Rate-Fixing and Other ScandalsDRI’s Insurance Coverage and Practice Symposium 2013Cara Tseng Duffield, Speaker
- October 15, 2013 | Chicago, IL | Speaking EngagementWomen in Insurance Network: A Networking and CLE WorkshopABA Section of Litigation Insurance Coverage Litigation Committee WorkshopCara Tseng Duffield, Vice-Chair
- April 9, 2013 | Press Release
- March 26, 2013 | Press Release
- March 11, 2013 | Press Release
- October 18, 2012 | Washington, DC | Speaking EngagementWomen in Insurance Network: A Networking and CLE WorkshopABA Section of Litigation Insurance Coverage Litigation Committee WorkshopCara Tseng Duffield, Co-Chair
- March 1, 2012 | Tucson, AZ | Speaking EngagementABA Section of Litigation Insurance Coverage Litigation Committee Annual CLE SeminarCara Tseng Duffield, Speaker
- April 15, 2011 | Miami Beach, FL | Speaking EngagementBut Who Pays the Bills? Spotting and Handling Complex Insurance Issues in the Defense of Investigations, Criminal Prosecutions and Ponzi Scheme LitigationABA Sections of Litigation and Criminal Justice 2011 Joint Annual ConferenceCara Tseng Duffield, Speaker
- December 31, 2008 | Press Release
- August 18, 2005 | Press ReleaseWRF Secures Victory for Insurance Client as Court Holds D&O Policy Does Not Provide Coverage for Breach of Contract Claims
- February 24, 2004 | Press Release