J.D., Duke University School of Law; Order of the Coif
B.A., Tufts University
Bar and Court Admissions
District of Columbia Bar
Supreme Court of the United States
Chuck serves as consulting counsel to Wiley Rein LLP. He regularly represents clients on all aspects of international trade law and policy, including import and export regulation, import trade remedies, international bilateral and multilateral negotiations, international arbitration, and mediation in commercial disputes. He has been named one of the “Leaders of Their Field” for his work in Trade Remedies & Trade Policy by Chambers Global, and one of “America’s Leading Lawyers for Business” in International Trade and “a legend in the trade policy field” (2011). Chambers USA notes that peers “think enormously highly” of practice chairman emeritus Chuck (2012), who “has a sterling and eminent reputation” (2012; 2014) and “long experience across a broad range of trade dispute and policy matters” (2013). Chuck has also been named a “Leading Lawyer” in Legal Media Group’s Expert Guides: Guide to the World’s Leading International Trade Lawyers and is listed in the International Who’s Who of Business Lawyers, Who’s Who in the World, and Who’s Who in America.
- Arbitration of international commercial disputes and multinational investment dispute resolution, including proceedings before the International Centre for Settlement of Investment Disputes (ICSID). Recent cases include Funnekotter and Others and Republic of Zimbabwe, ICSID Case No. ARB/05/6 (counsel for claimants); Trans-Global Petroleum, Inc. and The Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan, ICSID Case No. ARB/07/25 (counsel for claimant); Olyana v. Rwanda, ICSID Case No. ARB10/10 (counsel for claimant); Von Pezold v. Zimbabwe, ICSID Case No. ARB/10/15 (co-counsel for claimants); Border Timbers Ltd. v. Zimbabwe, ICSID Case No. ARB/10/25 (co-counsel for claimants).
- Counsel to the U.S. Chamber of Commerce in filing amicus brief before an UNCITRAL Tribunal in UPS v. Canada (NAFTA Chapter XI).
- Counsels clients in antidumping and countervailing duty law, multilateral and bilateral trade negotiations, Section 301 cases, GATT affairs, and international arbitration.
- Presents antidumping and countervailing duty cases before the U.S. International Trade Commission (USITC), the U.S. Department of Commerce (DOC), the Court of International Trade, and the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit.
- Advised the U.S. Trade Representative (USTR) on arguments before international dispute resolution panels and has been involved in numerous multilateral and bilateral negotiations.
- Represented private interests in an international trade dispute between the United States and Norway, one of few such disputes to result in an award of damages.
- Represented clients before Secofi, the Mexican antidumping authority, and similar foreign regulatory bodies.
- Senior Lecturing Fellow, International Business Transactions, Duke University School of Law (1998-Present). This course covers all aspects of international commercial transactions, including dispute resolution before U.S. and foreign courts and arbitration before specialized arbitration venues including ICSID
- Adjunct Professor, International Trade Law and Regulations, Georgetown University Law Center (1978-Present)
- American Bar Association (ABA), Section of International Law and Practice
- Association for Conflict Resolution (ACR)
- American Society of International Law (ASIL)
- Editorial Advisory Committee of International Legal Materials (2007- Present)
- Court of International Trade Bar Association
- Board of Visitors, Duke University School of Law (2000-Present)
- Advisory Board Member, Institute for International and Comparative Law (1986-Present)
- Advisory Board Member, Institute for Transnational Arbitration, (2002-Present)
- International Bar Association (IBA)
- International Dispute Resolution Group, c/o Lamb Chambers, The Temple, London, England
- International Institution for Conflict Prevention and Resolution (CPR)
- International Law Institute
- Board of Trustees, (1975-Present)
- President (2003-Present)
- National Arbitration Forum
- Campaign Cabinet, Penobscot River Restoration Trust (Maine) (2005-Present)
- Swiss Arbitration Association (ASA)
- Vice-President and Director, The Friends of the Law Library of Congress (2007-Present)
- Awarded The American Lawyer's Global Legal Award for Global Dispute of the Year: Investment Arbitration (Africa) (2016)
- Named as one of the top 25 preeminent International Trade lawyers in the Guide to the World's Leading Lawyers-Best of the Best USA (2010)
- Listed by Chambers Global as one of the "Leaders in Their Field" for his work in Trade Remedies & Trade Policy (2009, 2011-2016)
- Recipient of Duke University Law School's Charles S. Rhyne Award (2007)
- Named one of DC's "Super Lawyers" for International by Super Lawyers magazine (2007-2016)
- Listed by Chambers USA as one of "America's Leading Lawyers for Business" in International Trade: Trade Remedies & Trade Policy (2005-2016)
- Noted for his "decades-long reputation for excellence in the trade arena" by Chambers Global (2008)
- Included in the Legal Media Group's Expert Guides: Guide to the World's Leading International Trade Lawyers (2007-2008, 2010)
- Named by Lawdragon as one of "500 Leading Lawyers in America" Finalist (2007, 2010)
- Named by Lawdragon as one of "3000 Leading Lawyers in America" (2011)
- Included in the International Who's Who of Trade & Customs Lawyers (2008-2011, 2015) and the International Who's Who of Business Lawyers (2008-2011)
- Charles Fahy Distinguished Adjunct Professor, Georgetown University Law Center (1993)
- AV Peer Review Rating, Martindale-Hubbell's highest ranking by peers for general ethical standards and legal ability
News & Insights
- July 26, 2016 | Press ReleaseCharles Owen Verrill, Jr., to Receive The American Lawyer Global Legal Award for Investment Arbitration Related to Zimbabwe Land Reform
- March 17, 2016 | Press ReleaseChambers Global Ranks Wiley Rein’s International Trade and Privacy Practices Among Best in the World
- March 12, 2015 | Press ReleaseChambers Global Ranks Wiley Rein's International Trade and Privacy Practices Among Best in the World
- March 13, 2014 | Press ReleaseChambers Global Ranks Wiley Rein’s International Trade and Privacy Practices Among Best in the World
- January 21, 2014 | Washington, DC | Speaking Engagement2014 International Conference on Globalization, Entrepreneurship, and Economic DevelopmentCharles Owen Verrill, Jr., Keynote Speaker
- May 31, 2013 | Press ReleaseWiley Rein’s International Trade Practice Receives Top Honors from Chambers USA for Nine Years in a Row
- March 14, 2013 | Press ReleaseChambers Global Ranks Wiley Rein’s International Trade and Privacy Practices Among Best in the World
- July 13, 2012 | Press Release
- March 21, 2012 | Press ReleaseChambers Global Ranks Wiley Rein's International Trade and Privacy Practices Among Best in the World
- October 13, 2011 | Geneva | Speaking EngagementNew Thinking on Competitiveness and LeakageIISD Trade, Investment and Climate Change: Searching for Progress on Key IssuesCharles Owen Verrill, Jr., Speaker
- June 13, 2011 | Press Release
- May 2011 | ArticleThe National Treatment Obligation: Jurisprudential Uncertainty Concerning a Cornerstone of Investment Protection in Bilateral Investment TreatiesInvestment Treaty Arbitration and International LawCharles Owen Verrill, Jr.
- March 29, 2011 | Press ReleaseWiley Rein's International Trade and Privacy Practices Included in Chambers Global Worldwide Rankings; Several Attorneys Named Leading Lawyers
- June 16, 2010 | Press ReleaseWiley Rein International Trade Practice Ranked among Nation's Best by Chambers USA; Three Partners Named "Leading Lawyers"
- June 12, 2009 | Press Release
- April 29, 2009 | Press Release
- March 23, 2009 | Press Release
- June 24, 2008 | Press Release
- June 21, 2007 | Press Release
- March 26, 2007 | Press Release
- June 8, 2006 | Press Release
- June 2, 2006 | Press Release
- September 27, 2005 | Press ReleaseWRF International Trade Practice Recognized as One of the Nation's Best; Attorneys Recognized as "Leading Individuals" in Their Fields
- May 25, 2005 | Press Release
- April 26, 2005 | Press Release
- December 3, 2004 | Press Release
- October 20, 2004 | Press ReleaseWRF Files Amicus Brief on Behalf of International Lawyers, Law Professors and Diplomats Regarding Treaty Enforcement
- March 7, 2002 | Press ReleaseWiley Rein & Fielding Helps U.S. Industry Secure Key Presidential Decision on Imported Steel Tariffs