J.D., with highest honors, Rutgers University School of Law at Camden
B.A., magna cum laude, University of Delaware; Phi Beta Kappa
Law Clerk for the Honorable Clarence Thomas, Supreme Court of the United States (2008-2009)
Law Clerk for the Honorable David B. Sentelle, U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit (2007-2008)
Law Clerk for the Honorable Michael Chertoff, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit (2004-2005)
Law Clerk for the Honorable Jerome B. Simandle, U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey (2002-2004)
Bar and Court Admissions
District of Columbia Bar
New Jersey Bar
Supreme Court of the United States
U.S. Courts of Appeals for the First, Third, Fourth, Fifth, Eighth, Tenth, Federal, and District of Columbia Circuits
U.S. District Courts for the District of Columbia and District of New Jersey
Claire litigates complex trial and appellate matters before federal and state courts, the Federal Communications Commission (FCC), the Federal Election Commission (FEC), and state regulatory commissions. Prior to joining Wiley Rein, Claire was a law clerk for Supreme Court of the United States Justice Clarence Thomas and an attorney at the U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ).
- Represents telecommunications companies in complex litigation and regulatory proceedings involving rate-setting disputes, the deployment of broadband infrastructure, wireless facility siting, joint use, and pole attachment issues.
- Litigates jurisdictional, constitutional, election law, intellectual property, and administrative law issues in trial and appellate courts.
- Counsels telecommunications companies on the scope of their federal rights and develops litigation strategies under the Communications Act and other applicable laws.
- Regularly files amicus and merits briefs in the U.S. Courts of Appeals and the Supreme Court of the United States.
- Representative matters include:
- Rate disputes pending before state and federal courts, the FCC, and state regulatory commissions, and wireless siting disputes, including Sprint Spectrum et al. v. Zoning Board of Adjustment of Paramus, No. 14-2954 (3d Cir.).
- Constitutional cases, including Fisher v. University of Texas at Austin, Nos. 14-981, 11-345 (S. Ct.), Clapper v. Amnesty International USA, No. 11-1025 (S. Ct.), Lebron v. Rumsfeld, No. 11-6480 (4th Cir), and Coors Brewing Company v. Mendez-Torres, No. 11-1559 (1st Cir.).
- Election law litigation, including Van Hollen v. FEC, Nos. 15-5016, 15-017 (D.C. Cir.) and Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington v. FEC, No. 14-1419 (D.D.C.).
- Patent litigation, including Porto Technology Co. v. Cellco Partnership, No. 12-678 (E.D. Va.), Power Integrations, Inc. v. Kappos, No. 11-1254 (D.D.C.), Callaway Golf Company v. Kappos, No. 11-266 (E.D. Va.), RSA Security LLC v. Zions Management Services Company, No. 12-11975 (D. Mass.), and pharmaceutical litigation involving aripiprazole (Abilify®), cyclobenzaprine HCl (Amrix®), and fenofibrate (Antara®).
- Counsel for a coalition of companies in a proceeding at the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) regarding implementation of the Leahy-Smith America Invents Act.
- Counsel for a national telecommunications company in copyright royalty fee litigation before the American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers (ASCAP) rate court to set license fees for the public performance of musical works in wireless communications products and services.
- At the DOJ, briefed and argued cases before five courts of appeals.
- U.S. Department of Justice
- Attorney, Criminal Division, Criminal Appellate Section (2006-2007)
- Bristow Fellow, Office of the Solicitor General (2005-2006)
- Attorney, U.S. Department of Homeland Security, Office of the General Counsel (2005)
- Federal Communications Bar Association (FCBA)
- Named by The Legal 500 US a "recommended lawyer" in Telecom and Broadcast Regulatory Law (2014-2016)
News & Insights
- July 18, 2016 | Media MentionBloomberg BNA’s Money & Politics Report
- June 15, 2016 | Press Release
- January 27, 2016 | Press Release
- June 3, 2015 | Press Release
- April 22, 2015 | Press Release
- June 26, 2014 | Press Release
- May 13, 2014 | Press Release
- June 28, 2013 | Press Release
- May 1, 2013 | ArticleRound Two: Joint Use After the D.C. Circuit's Pole Attachment DecisionBNA’s Communications Environmental & Land Use Law Report, Vol. 2013, No. 5By Christopher S. Huther, Claire J. Evans
- February 27, 2013 | Press Release
- January 2, 2013 | Press Release
- January 19, 2012 | Press Release
- September 14, 2009 | Press Release