J.D., University of Michigan Law School
B.A., University of Michigan
Executive Editor, University of Michigan Journal of Law Reform
Bar and Court Admissions
District of Columbia Bar
New York Bar
Dan represents domestic and international companies in complex litigation and regulatory matters before federal and state trial and appellate courts, the International Trade Commission (ITC), the U.S. Treasury Department’s Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC), the Federal Communications Commission (FCC), the Federal Trade Commission (FTC), and other regulatory agencies.
- Represents telecommunications and technology companies in complex litigation and regulatory proceedings.
- Assists multinational corporations and financial institutions in complying with U.S. sanctions programs administered by OFAC, including the preparation of voluntary disclosures, specific license applications, and unblocking applications.
- Conducts internal investigations for Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA), FCC, and FTC-related matters and represents clients in enforcement proceedings.
- Advises on U.S. export controls administered by the Commerce Department’s Bureau of Industry and Security (BIS) and the State Department’s Directorate of Defense Trade Controls (DDTC).
- Represents domestic and international companies in national security reviews before the Committee on Foreign Investment in the United States (CFIUS) and Team Telecom.
- Represents U.S. manufacturers in antidumping and countervailing duty cases before the ITC.
- Advises telecommunications and technology companies on compliance with the Communications Assistance for Law Enforcement Act (CALEA) and federal and state wiretapping laws.
- Counsels on FTC rules prohibiting unfair and deceptive advertising and represents clients in FTC enforcement proceedings.
- Assists companies in complying with regulatory obligations under the FTC Act, the Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA), the Telemarketing and Consumer Fraud and Abuse Protection Act, the CAN-SPAM Act, and the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA).
- Advises service providers regarding Universal Service Fund (USF) contribution requirements.
- Advises clients on best practices and obligations for e-discovery, including the preservation, collection, and production of electronically stored information in civil litigation and government investigations.
- Law Clerk, Advocates for Basic Legal Equality (2007)
- American Bar Association (ABA)
- Federal Communications Bar Association (FCBA)
- New York State Bar Association (NYSBA)
News & Insights
- November 21, 2016 | Alert
- November 4, 2016 | Alert
- September 22, 2016 | Alert
- September 16, 2016 | Alert
- August 11, 2016 | Alert
- May 2, 2016 | AlertDOJ Compliance Counsel, VimpelCom Resolution, and FCPA Pilot Program Highlight Opportunities Presented for Telecom Industry by Robust Compliance, Self-disclosure, and Cooperation in Foreign Bribery Cases
- March 18, 2016 | ArticleThe U.S. Government Takes Steps to Further Normalize Relations with Cuba in Advance of President Obama’s Visit
- March 10, 2016 | Article
- March 3, 2016 | Alert
- February 29, 2016 | Article
- January 19, 2016 | Alert
- November 13, 2015 | Press ReleaseWiley Rein Obtains Ninth Circuit Victory for Pro Bono Client in Case Involving Federal Quiet Title Act
- July/August 2013 | ArticleProposed Rural Call Completion Rules Would Impose New Reporting and Data Retention Obligations on VoIP Service ProvidersInternet TelephonyDaniel P. Brooks
- May 2012 | ArticleLoosening Satellite Export ControlsLaw360Daniel P. Brooks
- January 2012 | ArticleKey Details of CFIUS 2010 Annual ReportThe Deal PipelineDaniel P. Brooks