J.D., Yale Law School
B.A., Cornell University
Executive Editor, The Yale Law Journal
Law Clerk for the Honorable A. Raymond Randolph, U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit (1992-1993)
Bar and Court Admissions
District of Columbia Bar
David represents professional liability insurers in coverage matters before state and federal courts across the country. He is regularly rated by Chambers USA as one of Washington, DC’s “Leading Lawyers” in his field.
- Serves as coverage and monitoring counsel in connection with a variety of professional liability policies, including directors and officers liability, banking, mutual fund, investment adviser, and fidelity bond policies.
- Regularly represents insurers' interests in connection with resolution of complex securities claims through litigation and alternative dispute resolution procedures.
- Represents and advises insurers with respect to coverage issues arising from policyholder bankruptcy and claims asserted on behalf of bankrupt estates.
- Management Consultant, McKinsey & Company (2001-2002). Provided strategic counsel to major corporations
- Trial Attorney, U.S. Department of Justice, Environmental Enforcement Section (1997-2001)
- Successfully litigated cases under CERCLA, the Clear Water Act, the Clean Air Act, and other environmental laws
- Professional Liability Underwriting Society (PLUS)
- Listed by Chambers USA as one of "America's Leading Lawyers for Business" in Insurance (2007-2016)
- Named one of DC's "Super Lawyers" for Insurance Coverage by Super Lawyers magazine (2011-2016)
- U.S. Department of Justice Attorney General's Award (1999)
News & Insights
- September 15, 2016 | ArticleThe D&O DiaryDavid H. Topol, Jennifer A. Williams
- August 19, 2015 | Press Release
- October 2013 | ArticleProfessional Liability Underwriting Society Journal, Vol. 26, No. 10David H. Topol, Leland H. Jones, IV
- May 29, 2013 | Press ReleaseChambers USA Ranks Wiley Rein’s Insurance Group in Washington, DC’s Top Tier for Nine Years in a Row
- December 2012 | ArticleProfessional Liability Underwriting Society Journal, Vol. 25, No. 12David H. Topol
- June 8, 2012 | Press Release
- July 26, 2011 | Media MentionThe Economist
- June 13, 2011 | Press ReleaseChambers USA Ranks Wiley Rein's Insurance Group in its Top Tier; Five Attorneys Receive "Leading Lawyers" Honors
- May 26, 2011 | ArticleAdvisen Front Page NewsDavid H. Topol
- December 2010 | ArticlePLUS Journal Issue XXIII, Volume 12David H. Topol, Leland H. Jones, IV
- June 14, 2010 | Press ReleaseChambers USA Ranks Wiley Rein's Insurance Group in Its Top Tier; Five Attorneys Named "Leading Lawyers"
- June 12, 2009 | Press ReleaseChambers USA Ranks Wiley Rein's Insurance Group in Its Top Tier; Six Attorneys Named Leading Lawyers
- June 18, 2008 | Press ReleaseWiley Rein's Insurance Group Receives Chambers USA Top Ranking; Eight Insurance Partners Named Leading Lawyers
- Summer/Fall 2007 | ArticleClass Certification As a "Signal Event" in Federal Securities Class Actions: The Impact on D&O InsuranceABA Professional Liability Litigation AlertDavid H. Topol
- June 29, 2007 | Press ReleaseWiley Rein's Insurance Group Receives Top Ranking from Chambers USA; Eight Insurance Partners Named Leading Lawyers
- January 2007 | ArticleDura’s Unresolved Questions: Must Plaintiffs Plead with Particularity and Identify a Corrective Disclosure?Professional Liability Underwriting Society JournalDavid H. Topol
- May 2005 | ArticleProfessional Liability Underwriting Society JournalDavid H. Topol
- Nov./Dec. 2004 | ArticleThe Danger of Playing With House Money: The Case Against Collusion Between D&O Insureds and Shareholder ClaimantsCoverage, Vol. 14, No. 6David H. Topol, Kimberly M. Melvin
- May & June 2004 | ArticleProfessional Liability Underwriting Society JournalDavid H. Topol
- December 29, 2003 | Press Release
- October 21, 2003 | Press ReleaseWiley Rein & Fielding Attorney Authors "Professional Liability Chapter" in Holmes' Appleman on Insurance
- Fall 2003 | ArticleProfessional Liability ChapterHolmes' Appleman on Insurance, 2dDavid H. Topol
- October 9, 2002 | Press Release