J.D., with honors, University of Maryland School of Law
B.A., Elon College
Articles Editor, Maryland Law Review
Bar and Court Admissions
District of Columbia Bar
U.S. Courts of Appeals for the Fifth and Federal Circuits
U.S. District Courts for the District of Colorado and District of Maryland
David focuses his practice on litigation and transactions involving trademarks, copyrights, and domain names, and related product and service development and distribution issues. A former software and web developer, he regularly handles cutting-edge issues and disputes involving law and technology.
David has developed particular expertise helping businesses navigate Internet legal issues and Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN) related issues, and is the author of BNA’s Guide to the Anticybersquatting Consumer Protection Act. He is heavily involved with generic top-level domains (gTLDs), including the representation of gTLD applicants and registries, counseling clients on brand protection programs to address new gTLDs, and advising clients in more than one dozen gTLD objection proceedings.
In the past year alone, David filed more than double the number of in rem anti-cybersquatting actions in the Eastern District of Virginia than the closest competing firm, as well as having obtained the disabling and transfer of over 400 typosquatted and cybersquatted domain names for clients.
David was named one of DC’s “Rising Stars” for Intellectual Property Litigation by Super Lawyers magazine (2013, 2014), and The Legal 500 US 2012 recognized him for his practice “relating to online and emerging technology.” He is also frequently interviewed by media outlets from around the world for commentary on intellectual property, Internet, and technology law issues, and is a frequent lecturer on these issues.
- Developing strategies for global protection and enforcement of trademarks and copyrights in physical and cyber contexts.
- Representing parties in record setting domain name transactions.
- Representing a software development company in a trial of trade secret and unfair competition litigation against a former business partner.
- Preparing a wide range of Internet, new media, and intellectual property agreements and opinions.
- Representing a luxury consumer product company in trademark, copyright, and patent actions throughout the country.
- Representing an information technology company in a trial of trademark infringement claims.
- Representing a pulp and paper product manufacturer in patent, trademark, and commercial contract actions throughout the country.
- Representative Reported Cases:
- CenturyLink IP LLC v. By Proxy, Inc. Domain Names, 2014 UDRP LEXIS 1157 (WIPO 2014).
- Central Source LLC v. Annualcreditreport-com.us, 2014 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 109427 (E.D. Va. 2014).
- Central Source LLC v. Annualcreditredport.com, 2014 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 110119 (E.D. Va. 2014).
- Payless ShoeSource Worldwide Inc. v. Premier Success, 2014 UDRP LEXIS 773 (WIPO 2014).
- Spanx, Inc. v. Nawas, FA1404001552547 (NAF 2014).
- United Press Int’l Inc. v. UPIphoto.com (E.D. Va. 2013).
- Hong Kong Trade. Dev. v. Rocmary Media Group, HK-1300549 (ADNDRC 2013).
- Electronic Creations Corp. v. Gigahertz, Inc., 2013 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 88805 (N.D.N.Y. 2013).
- Transtex Comp., Inc. v. Laydon Comp., Ltd, 2012 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 155476 (W.D. Ky. 2012).
- The Boston Consulting Group, Inc. v. Alexander, 2012 UDRP Lexis 1814 (WIPO 2012).
- Anchor Drilling Fluids USA, Inc. v. AnchorDF, 2012 UDRP Lexis 846 (WIPO 2012).
- Myriad Dev., Inc. v. Alltech, Inc., 2011 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 119844 (W.D. Tex. 2011).
- Aquatherm Inc. v. Marketing Express, 2011 UDRP LEXIS 2878 (WIPO 2011).
- Nokota Horse Cons., Inc. v. Bernhardt, 2009 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 105142 (D. N.D. 2009).
- Bains Ultra Inc. v. 7677 East Berry Ave. Assoc., 2009 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 14633 (D. Colo. 2009).
- Defever Yachts Int'l LLC v. Yachts West, 2009 UDRP LEXIS 648 (WIPO 2009).
- Alltech Inc. v. Myriad Dev. Inc., 2008 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 98707 (W.D. Va. 2008).
- Western Union Holdings, Inc. v. Eastern Union, Inc., 2007 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 66281 (N.D. Ga. 2007), aff'd 2008 U.S. App. LEXIS 13226 (11th Cir. 2008).
- American Bar Association (ABA), IP Section
- American Intellectual Property Law Association (AIPLA)
- Intellectual Property Constituency (IPC) of ICANN's Generic Names Supporting Organization
- International Game Developers Association (IGDA)
- International Trademark Association (INTA)
- Internet Committee
- Editorial Board, Trademarks & Brands Online
- Named by The Legal 500 US a "recommended lawyer" in Copyright Law (2012)
- Named one of DC's "Rising Stars" for Intellectual Property Litigation by Super Lawyers magazine (2013-2015)
News & Insights
- November 10, 2015 | Media MentionBloomberg BNA’s Intellectual Property Law Resource Center
- July 27, 2015 | Media MentionTrademarks & Brands Online
- July 21, 2015 | Media MentionCyber Law & Business Report
- July 10, 2015 | Media MentionBloomberg BNA’s Electronic Commerce & Law Report
- June 26, 2015 | Media MentionSTORES Magazine
- May 6, 2015 | Media MentionTrademarks & Brands Online
- May 4, 2015 | San Diego, CA | ModeratorINTA Annual Meeting
- April 23, 2015 | Press Release
- April 9, 2015 | Media MentionTrademarks & Brands Online
- March 19, 2015 | Media MentionBloomberg BNA's Electronic Commerce & Law Report
- March 12, 2015 | Media MentionThe Wall Street Journal
- February 20, 2015 | Media MentionBloomberg BNA's Electronic Commerce & Law Report
- January 6, 2015 | Media MentionBloomberg BNA’s Electronic Commerce & Law Report
- December 2014 | ArticleWine Business Monthly
- November 19, 2014 | Media MentionBloomberg BNA’s Electronic Commerce & Law Report
- October 23, 2014 | Press Release
- September 29, 2014 | Media MentionTrademarks & Brands Online
- September 22, 2014 | Media MentionBloomberg BNA’s Electronic Commerce & Law Report
- August 4, 2014 | Newsletter
- July 28, 2014 | Charlotte, NC | SpeakerSearch Exchange Internet Marketing Conference
- July 15, 2014 | Media MentionWashington Internet Daily
- July 8, 2014 | Media MentionBloomberg BNA’s Electronic Commerce & Law Report
- June 27, 2014 | ArticleTrademarks & Brands Online
- June 10, 2014 | Media MentionTrademark & Brands Online
- May 28, 2014 | Media MentionTrademarks & Brands Online
- May 11, 2014 | Hong Kong SAR | ModeratorINTA Annual Meeting: Table Topics
- April 25, 2014 | Press Release
- March 25, 2014 | Media MentionDavid Weslow Discusses Opportunities for e-Commerce Companies Related to Changes in Oversight of ICANNInternet Retailer
- March 4, 2014 | Media MentionDomain Sherpa
- March 2014 | ArticleGuide to the Anticybersquatting Consumer Protection ActBloomberg BNA
- February 14, 2014 | Media MentionWorld Intellectual Property Review
- February 4, 2014 | Media MentionBloomberg BNA’s Electronic Commerce & Law Report
- January 29, 2014 | Media MentionU.S. News & World Report
- January 15, 2014 | Las Vegas, NV | SpeakerNamesCon 2014
- December 27, 2013 | Media MentionWorld Intellectual Property Review
- November 25, 2013 | Media MentionTechRepublic
- November 15, 2013 | Media MentionWorld Intellectual Property Review
- October 18, 2013 | Media MentionThe Verge
- September 24, 2013 | Media MentionU.S. News & World Report
- September 12, 2013 | Media MentionBloomberg BNA’s Electronic Commerce & Law Report
- September 5, 2013 | Media MentionBloomberg BNA’s Electronic Commerce & Law Report
- July 15, 2013 | Media MentionTechRepublic
- July 8, 2013 | Media MentionInternet Retailer
- May 7, 2013 | Dallas, TX | ModeratorInternet Enforcement: Tips and Tools for Prioritizing and Addressing Online InfringementsINTA Annual Meeting, Table Topics
- April 22, 2013 | Media MentionThe Washington Post
- April 19, 2013 | Press Release
- April 16, 2013 | Media MentionInternet Retailer
- April 4, 2013 | New York, NY | PanelistFordham Intellectual Property Law and Policy Conference
- March 12, 2013 | New York, NY | SpeakerThe Digital Marketing & gTLD Strategy Congress
- March 8, 2013 | Media MentionBloomberg BNA’s Electronic Commerce & Law Report
- February 26, 2013 | Newsletter
- February 5, 2013 | Media MentionBloomberg BNA’s Electronic Commerce & Law Report
- January 16, 2013 | Media MentionPolicy and Regulatory Report
- January 7, 2013 | Media MentionBloomberg BNA
- December 21, 2012 | Media MentionBloomberg BNA
- December 5, 2012 | Media MentionWiley Rein’s David Weslow Discusses Litigation with Implications for Domain Registry Applicants and OperatorsWorld Trademark Review
- November 9, 2012 | Media MentionPolicy and Regulatory Report
- November 6, 2012 | Media MentionBloomberg News
- October 17, 2012 | Media MentionAl Jazeera English
- October 15, 2012 | Charlotte, NC | SpeakerProceed with Caution: Your Brand Teams with Social Media and the InternetINTA Trademark Administrators Conference
- October 9, 2012 | Media MentionDomain Sherpa
- October 1, 2012 | Media MentionBloomberg BNA
- September 27, 2012 | Media MentionThe Washington Post
- August 23, 2012 | Media MentionFinancial Times' Policy and Regulatory Report
- August 20, 2012 | Media MentionLaw360
- July 18, 2012 | Media MentionCorporate Counsel
- July 5, 2012 | Media MentionTechRepublic
- July 2012 | ArticleDomain Name Litigation Strategies and TacticsLitigation Strategies for Intellectual Property Cases
- June 14, 2012 | Media MentionFinancial Times' Policy and Regulatory Report
- June 11, 2012 | Washington, DC | SpeakerBest Practices for Brand Protection in new gTLDsThomson Reuters
- June 5, 2012 | Chicago, IL | SpeakerEighth Annual Internet Retailer Conference & Exhibition
- May/June 2012 | ArticleCombating Cybersquatters: A Legal PrimerCampaigns & ElectionsBy Michael E. Toner, David E. Weslow
- June 1, 2012 | Press Release
- May 30, 2012 | Press Release
- May 22, 2012 | Dallas, TX | SpeakerThe Wire Association International Operations Summit and Wire Expo
- April 10, 2012 | Washington, DC | HostINTA Roundtable
- Winter 2012 | ArticleWho Owns "My" Code?Casual Connect
- March 9, 2012 | Media MentionTechRepublic
- January 25, 2012 | Media MentionTechRepublic
- October 1, 2011 | ArticleINTA Bulletin
- September/October 2011 | ArticleConsumer Electronics Vision Magazine
- July 26, 2011 | Media MentionDomain Sherpa
- July 7, 2011 | Media MentionTechRepublic
- June 22, 2011 | ArticleBroadbandBreakfast.com
- June 21, 2011 | Media MentionInternet Retailer
- May 1, 2011 | ArticleINTA Bulletin Vol. 66 No. 9
- March 9, 2011 | Denver, CO | Co-hostINTA's Roundtable
- February 11, 2011 | Media MentionLegal Bisnow
- January 25, 2011 | Media MentionLaw360
- January 13, 2011 | Press Release