J.D., cum laude, Howard University School of Law
M.P.A., Louisiana State University
B.A., Louisiana State University
Bar and Court Admissions
District of Columbia Bar (*Pending, supervised by principals of the firm who are members of the District of Columbia Bar)
Derrick assists clients with a variety of matters related to commercial litigation; government and internal investigations; discovery requests; and immigrant rights.
- Assists clients in developing strategy for and preparing comments in complex proceedings before the Federal Communications Commission (FCC).
- Counsels clients on the implications of recent U.S. Supreme Court jurisprudence on the seal requirement under the False Claims Act (FCA).
- Represents pro bono client in connection with a habeas corpus request based an immigration detention.
- Assists clients in responding to subpoenas and civil investigative demands.
- Researches and drafts memoranda on issues including the Fourth Amendment rights, prisoner rights, immigrant rights, contract termination clauses, and alternative dispute resolution clauses in public labor contract.
- Led a team in writing an amicus brief in a Fourteenth Amendment case before the U.S. Supreme Court.
- Research Assistant, Dean Danielle Holley-Walker, Howard University School of Law (2015-2016)
- Student Attorney, Howard University School of Law Civil Rights Clinic (2015-2016)
- Corporate Legal Intern, AT&T Federal Legal Department (2014)
- Legislative Intern, U.S. House of Representatives, Representative Cedric Richmond (2013)
- Maryland State Bar Association
- Washington State Bar Association
- Young Lawyers Committee
- Corporate Counsel Section
- Greater Washington Urban League, Thursday Network
- American Bar Association, Young Lawyers Division
- Alfred Street Baptist Church, Legal Resources Ministry
*Not admitted to the District of Columbia Bar. Supervised by principals of the firm who are members of the District of Columbia Bar.