J.D., cum laude, Howard University School of Law
M.P.A., Louisiana State University
B.A., Louisiana State University
Bar and Court Admissions
Not admitted to the District of Columbia Bar (Supervised by the principals of the firm)
Derrick assists clients with a variety of matters related to commercial litigation; government and internal investigations; discovery requests; and immigrant rights.
- Assists clients in developing strategy for and preparing comments in complex proceedings before the Federal Communications Commission (FCC).
- Counsels clients on the implications of recent U.S. Supreme Court jurisprudence on the seal requirement under the False Claims Act (FCA).
- Represents pro bono client in connection with a habeas corpus request based an immigration detention.
- Assists clients in responding to subpoenas and civil investigative demands.
- Researches and drafts memoranda on issues including the Fourth Amendment rights, prisoner rights, immigrant rights, contract termination clauses, and alternative dispute resolution clauses in public labor contract.
- Led a team in writing an amicus brief in a Fourteenth Amendment case before the U.S. Supreme Court.
- Research Assistant, Dean Danielle Holley-Walker, Howard University School of Law (2015-2016)
- Student Attorney, Howard University School of Law Civil Rights Clinic (2015-2016)
- Corporate Legal Intern, AT&T Federal Legal Department (2014)
- Legislative Intern, U.S. House of Representatives, Representative Cedric Richmond (2013)
- Maryland State Bar Association
- Washington State Bar Association
- Young Lawyers Committee
- Corporate Counsel Section
- Greater Washington Urban League, Thursday Network
- American Bar Association, Young Lawyers Division
- Alfred Street Baptist Church, Legal Resources Ministry
News & Insights
*Not admitted to the DC bar. Supervised by the principals of the firm.