J.D., Howard University School of Law
B.S., cum laude, University of the District of Columbia
Editor-in-Chief, Human Rights & Globalization Law Review
Law Clerk for the Honorable Janice Rogers Brown, U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit (2013-2014)
Law Clerk for the Honorable George L. Russell, III, U.S. District Court for the District of Maryland (2012-2013)
Law Clerk for the Honorable George L. Russell, III, Circuit Court of Maryland for Baltimore City (2011-2012)
Bar and Court Admissions
District of Columbia Bar
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth, Federal, and District of Columbia Circuits
U.S. District Court for the District of Maryland
Dwayne represents clients in litigation, appellate, and regulatory matters before state and federal courts and administrative agencies. His diverse practice encompasses a variety of issues involving the Federal Arbitration Act, the First Amendment, and administrative law.
- Represents clients before the U.S. Courts of Appeals and the Supreme Court of the United States in cases involving complex statutory and constitutional issues.
- Filed amicus brief in the Fourth Circuit on behalf of public-interest groups challenging the Lanham Act’s bar on registering disparaging trademarks.
- Represents clients in appellate review of agency decisions and lower court actions involving Hatch-Waxman Act litigation.
- Filed amicus brief and helped secure significant victory in an en banc case before the Federal Circuit striking down the disparagement clause of the Lanham Act as inconsistent with the First Amendment.
- Filed amicus brief in the Supreme Court of the United States on behalf of a public interest group in a case challenging an employer’s religious accommodation burden under Title VII of the Civil Rights Act.
- Represents clients before the federal courts and the American Arbitration Association (AAA) in complex procedural litigation and appeals involving the enforcement of arbitration clauses.
- Defeated challenge to the Federal Arbitration Act as an unconstitutional delegation of Article III power to a non-Article III forum.
- Represented client before the First Circuit and lower federal court in challenge to an improper end run of the FAA’s prohibition on appeals of interlocutory orders staying litigation and compelling arbitration.
- Secured victory for client in an arbitration against claimants challenging a class-action waiver by seeking “general injunctive relief” under state statute.
- Represents clients in regulatory rule-making proceedings and matters involving the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) and state regulation of wireless and wireline telecommunications services.
- Drafted a comment letter to the Federal Election Committee on behalf of a client, addressing a proposal to write new oversight rules for campaign spending by super PACs, tax exempt and other groups acting independently of federal candidates and political parties.
- Represented a wireless company in its federal preemption challenge to a local ordinance governing the siting of wireless facilities.
- Advised clients in enforcement and compliance actions involving FCC regulations and orders.
- Represented media clients before the FCC.
- Represents clients in white collar matters and white collar appeals.
- Secured appellate victory in reversal of criminal tax convictions and obtained vacatur of seven-year sentence.
- Maintains active pro bono practice.
- Represents clients in federal civil rights lawsuit challenging pattern of race discrimination and retaliation against African American police officers on the Eastern Shore of Maryland.
- Judicial Intern, the Honorable Laura A. Cordero, Superior Court of the District of Columbia (2011)
- Judicial Intern, the Honorable Gerald Bruce Lee, U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia (2010)
- Summer Fellow, Professor Aderson B. Francois, Howard University School of Law Civil Rights Clinic (2009)
- Senior Telecommunications Associate, Technology Brokerage Group, LLC (2002-2008)
- American Bar Association (ABA)
- Federal Communications Bar Association (FCBA)
- The Federalist Society
News & Insights
- October 20, 2016 | Press ReleasePlaintiffs Hail U.S. Department of Justice Intervention in Pocomoke City Race Discrimination and Retaliation Case
- June 2, 2016 | Press ReleasePlaintiffs in Pocomoke City Race Discrimination Case Refute Defendants’ Baseless Attempts to Excuse Misconduct, Citing EEOC Support
- May 5, 2016 | Alert
- January 21, 2016 | Press ReleaseWiley Rein, Washington Lawyers’ Committee, and ACLU of Maryland Jointly File Federal Lawsuit Challenging Pattern of Race Discrimination and Retaliation Against African American Police Officers on the Eastern Shore of Maryland
- December 22, 2015 | Press ReleaseWiley Rein Helps Secure First Amendment Win Striking Down Ban on Registering ‘Disparaging’ Trademarks
- November 18, 2015 | Media MentionElection Law Attorneys Submit Rulemaking Comment Letter to the FEC on Behalf of the U.S. Chamber of CommerceBloomberg BNA’s Money & Politics Report
- November 6, 2015 | Press ReleaseWiley Rein Files Amicus Brief in First Amendment Trademark Case, Pro-Football, Inc. v. Amanda Blackhorse
- November 4, 2015 | Press Release
- August 7, 2015 | Press ReleaseWiley Rein Secures Appellate Reversal of Criminal Tax Convictions and Vacatur of Seven-Year Sentence
- July 28, 2015 | Press ReleaseWiley Rein Attorneys Secure Victory in Defending the Constitutionality of the Federal Arbitration Act
- July 22, 2015 | Press ReleaseFormer Pocomoke Police Chief Represented by Wiley Rein and Washington Lawyers’ Committee in Wrongful Termination Case
- June 22, 2015 | Press ReleaseWiley Rein Files Amicus Brief Testing the Constitutionality of the Lanham Act’s Bar on “Disparaging” Trademarks
- May 2015 | ArticleAndrew G. McBride, Dwayne D. Sam