J.D., with highest honors, The George Washington University Law School; Order of the Coif; Willard Waddington Gatchell Award (awarded to the top three students in the graduating class); Pro Bono Service Honor
B.S., University of Illinois
Notes and Projects Editor, The George Washington Law Review
Bar and Court Admissions
District of Columbia Bar
Ethan assists network operators; manufacturers of consumer, public safety, and enterprise telecommunications devices; trade associations; content producers, and others with a variety of complex regulatory, transactional, and compliance matters in the areas of domestic and international telecommunications and privacy.
- Assists in developing strategy for and preparing comments, petitions, and other pleadings in complex proceedings before the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) and other federal agencies.
- Counsels and advocates on behalf of companies and others on international and domestic telecommunications, Internet and technology issues focusing on both specific markets and international organizations.
- Assists wireless and satellite clients on transactional and licensing issues before the FCC.
- Advises clients on international and domestic issues related to privacy, cybersecurity, and Internet regulation.
- Advises clients on compliance with federal disability access requirements including Hearing Aid Compatibility (HAC) and obligations under the Twenty-First Century Communications and Video Accessibility Act of 2010 (CVAA).
- Served as a private sector member of the U.S. delegations to the 2012 World Conference on International Telecommunications and the 2013 World Telecommunication/ICT Policy Forum.
- Professorial Lecturer of Law (Scholarly Writing), The George Washington University Law School (2012-Present)
- Research Assistant, Professor Daniel Solove, The George Washington University Law School (2008-2009)
- Summer Associate, Office of the Attorney General for the District of Columbia, Consumer and Trade Protection Section (2007)
- American Bar Association (ABA)
- Federal Communications Bar Association (FCBA)
News & Insights
- April 27, 2015 | Alert
- March 9, 2015 | Article
- September 18, 2014 | Alert
- August 29, 2014 | Alert
- April 30, 2014 | Alert
- March 27, 2014 | Alert
- March 12, 2014 | AlertBy Anna M. Gomez, M. Ethan Lucarelli
- November 2013 | Newsletter
- November 1, 2013 | Alert
- August 15, 2013 | Alert
- May 31, 2013 | AlertFCC Seeks Comment on Proposed Rules Requiring Accessibility of User Interfaces on Set-Top Boxes, Smartphones, PCs and other Devices Used to View Video Programming
- April 30, 2013 | AlertFCC Clarifies Accessibility Requirements for Internet Browsers, and Adopts New Requirements for Browsers Included with Mobile Telephones
- June 28, 2012 | Washington, DC | ModeratorThe 2012 WCIT: Crafting International Telecommunication Regulations for the Twenty-First CenturyFCBA International Telecommunications Committee
- May 2012 | Newsletter
- April 2012 | Newsletter
- March 2012 | ArticleProtecting Consumer Privacy in an Era of Rapid Change: Summary of the FTC Final Report
- March 14, 2012 | Arlington, VA | SpeakerCurrent Issues in International Technology and Telecommunications PolicyPresentation for IT 110, Information Technology in the Global Age
- January 2012 | ArticleCommunications ChapterABA's Development in Administrative Law and Regulatory Practice 2011By Scott D. Delacourt, M. Ethan Lucarelli
- November 2011 | ArticleThe 2012 World Conference on International Telecommunications: Another Brewing Storm Over Potential UN Regulation of the InternetWho's Who LegalBy David A. Gross, M. Ethan Lucarelli
- November 29, 2011 | Washington, DC | SpeakerEnabling Compliance - the 21st Century Communications and Video Accessibility ActTelecommunications Industry Association and Wiley Rein LLP Webinar
- June 2011 | ArticleCyber Security Governance: Existing Structures, International Approaches and the Private SectorAmerica's Cyber Future: Security and Prosperity in the Information Age
- March 2011 | ArticleHistory and Evolution of the Network Neutrality Debate in the United StatesNet Neutrality: Contributions to the DebateBy David A. Gross, M. Ethan Lucarelli