J.D., with honors, The George Washington University Law School
B.A., Swarthmore College
Editor-in-Chief, Public Contract Law Journal
Bar and Court Admissions
District of Columbia Bar
U.S. Court of Federal Claims
Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
George counsels and represents government contractors on a broad range of government contracting issues, including contract claims and disputes, bid protests, internal investigations, and cost allowability matters.
- Prosecutes and defends bid protests before the U.S. Government Accountability Office (GAO), and before the Small Business Administration (SBA) Office of Hearings and Appeals.
- Counsels government contractors on compliance with mandatory disclosure obligations, incurred cost submissions, and other government reporting requirements.
- Represents companies and individuals in connection with procurement fraud and other civil and criminal fraud allegations and issues, including conducting internal investigations and preparing Mandatory and Voluntary Disclosures.
- Counsels government contractors on compliance with federal and state False Claims Acts, conflict of interest rules, and other ethics requirements.
- Participates in merger and acquisition due diligence reviews, advising clients on government contracts issues and risks.
- Counsels government contractors regarding claims and disputes, including claims under the Contracts Disputes Act (CDA).
Represents government contractors in drafting and negotiating teaming and subcontracting agreements and prime-subcontractor disputes.
- Research Assistant, The George Washington University Law School, Associate Dean Daniel I. Gordon (2013)
- Legal Intern, U.S. Commodity Futures Trading Commission, Division of Enforcement (2012)
- Senior Accountant (2011), Staff Accountant (2009-2011), Fannie Mae
- Internal Auditor (2009), Staff Accountant (2005-2009), Charming Shoppes, Inc
- American Bar Association (ABA), Section of Public Contract Law
News & Insights
- February 2017 | Newsletter
- February 9, 2017 | Speaking EngagementSBA Expands Mentor-Protégé Program to All Small BusinessesABA Section of Public Contract Law WebinarGeorge E. Petel, Moderator, John R. Prairie, Panelist
- January 31, 2017 | Alert
- January 30, 2017 | Alert
- December 8, 2016 | Alert
- November 2016 | NewsletterThreat of False Claims Act Suits Undermines Attempts to Focus Universities on Mission Rather than Administrative Compliance
- October 10, 2016 | Alert
- September 2016 | ArticlePratt’s Government Contracting Law Report
- Summer 2016 | ArticlePublic Contract Law Journal, Vol. 45, No. 4
- September 7, 2016 | Washington, DC | Speaking EngagementSBA Mentor Protégé Programs Final RuleABA Section of Public Contract Law, Subcontracting, Teaming and Strategic Alliances Committee MeetingGeorge E. Petel, Speaker
- August 17, 2016 | ArticleBloomberg BNA's Federal Contracts Report
- August 12, 2016 | AlertKevin B. Muhlendorf, George E. Petel
- July 26, 2016 | Alert
- July 24-27, 2016 | Orlando, FL | Speaking EngagementNational Contract Management Association, World Congress 2016George E. Petel, Speaker, John R. Prairie, Speaker
- July 15, 2016 | Alert
- July 13, 2016 | Alert
- June 23, 2016 | AlertNews Flash: GSA Issues Final Version of Transactional Data Reporting Rule, Calling for Phased Elimination of Both PRC and CSP
- June 17, 2016 | Alert
- June 2, 2016 | Alert
- December 2015 | Newsletter
- November 12-14, 2015 | Charleston, South Carolina | Speaking EngagementIndividual Accountability for Corporate Wrongdoing: New Policy Memo from Deputy Attorney General Sally YatesABA Section of Public Contract Law Council MeetingGeorge E. Petel
- October 6, 2015 | ArticleView From Wiley Rein: SBA Opens Its Arms to More Large Businesses to Help Foster Its Small Business MissionBloomberg BNA's Federal Contracts Report
- May 20, 2015 | Rockville, MD | Speaking EngagementRecent Developments in Small Business ContractingNCMA Bethesda/Medical ChapterGeorge E. Petel, Speaker, John R. Prairie, Speaker
- April 24, 2015 | Alert
- April 10, 2015 | AlertThe Sixth Circuit Deals a $657 Million Reminder That the Government Bears the Burden of Proving DamagesRoderick L. Thomas, George E. Petel
- December 16, 2014 | Alert
- 2014 | ArticleYet Another Task for the U.S. Procurement System: Protecting Foreign Affairs Public ValuesJournal of Contract Management, Vol. 12, 127George E. Petel
- 2014 | ArticleLitigating Counterfeit Parts Risk: What EPA’s Buy American Checklist Can Teach DOD43 PUB. CONTR. L.J. 507George E. Petel
- August 1, 2013 | San Francisco, CA | Speaking EngagementUpdating the Model Procurement Rules: State and Local Cost Reimbursement ContractingABA Section of Public Contract Law Council MeetingGeorge E. Petel