J.D., summa cum laude, George Mason University School of Law; Moot Court Board
B.A., cum laude, Washington and Lee University
Member, George Mason Law Review
Bar and Court Admissions
District of Columbia Bar
While head of regulatory for one of the nation’s largest broadcast television companies, Henry developed and implemented the company’s strategy for Federal Communications Commission (FCC) proceedings and compliance, including the company’s successful participation in the FCC’s recent 600 MHz spectrum auction. He assists clients in a variety of complex regulatory, transactional, litigation, and compliance matters in the areas of telecommunications and media.
- Incentive Auction: Plotted and executed Media General's strategy for participation in the auction, which resulted in an estimated $479 million of gross proceeds from the disposition of spectrum. Prior, prepared multiple client comments in response to the FCC's proposed rules for the broadcast incentive auction.
- Represents clients on transactional issues related to FCC licensees, including compliance with wireless attribution and control rules and securing FCC approvals for acquisitions and transfers of control of authorizations. Counsels clients on mmW spectrum attribution and 5G deployment timelines.
- Rulemaking Proceedings: Drafts comments, petitions, and other pleadings in FCC rulemakings, including Twenty-First Century Communications and the Video Accessibility Act (CVAA), incentive auction and retransmission consent proceedings.
- CVAA and Disability Access: Counsels manufacturing, service provider, and broadcasting clients on the FCC implementation of the CVAA, including ACS, IP Captioning, Video Description, and Emergency Information rules. Designs and executes strategies for clients seeking to bring new, compliant communications products to market.
- Enforcement: Represents clients in FCC enforcement actions, including hearing aid compatibility (HAC), Section 255, and video description. Responds to notices of informal complaints on behalf of broadcast stations for both FCC and FAA compliance issues.
- Satellites: Advises established and emerging space ventures on satellite and earth station regulation before the FCC and the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA). Secures FCC and NOAA approval for mergers involving satellite service providers. Obtains licenses from NOAA for earth imaging satellites and other land remote-sensing space systems and counsels clients on compliance with administrative and operational control requirements.
- Regulatory: Offers strategic counsel to clients about compliance with the FCC rules affecting telecommunications service providers and manufacturers, broadcasters, and satellite providers, including spectrum policy, public safety communications, and the CALM Act. Drafts comments, petitions, and other pleadings in proceedings before the FCC and other federal agencies. Prepares FCC regulatory filings, including children's television reports, renewals, periodic ownership, Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO), and programming reports and applications for construction permits and licenses for broadcast stations and other communications facilities.
- Cybersecurity: Prepares comments in proceedings before the FCC, the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST), and other federal agencies regarding the new U.S. data security and privacy laws and regulations.
- Pro Bono: Successfully assisted a client in obtaining an order granting her permanent legal and physical custody of her three granddaughters.
- Associate General Counsel, Media General Inc. (2015-2017)
- General Editor, ESPN.com/Scouts Inc. (2005-2008)
- Studio Production, ESPN (2001-2005)
- Federal Communications Bar Association (FCBA)
- Recipient of two Emmy Awards for work as an associate producer on ESPN's Sportscenter (2003, 2004)
News & Insights
- May 4, 2017 | Alert
- January 12, 2015 | Article
- November 2014 | Newsletter
- October 27, 2014 | Article
- August 8, 2014 | Alert
- July 1, 2014 | AlertEve Klindera Reed, Henry Gola
- April 17, 2014 | Alert
- March 31, 2014 | Alert
- March 2014 | Newsletter
- February 25, 2014 | AlertFCC Updates and Clarifies Television Closed Captioning Rules, Seeks Comment on Extending Responsibility Beyond Broadcasters and MVPDs and Elimination of Certain Exemptions
- February 13, 2014 | Alert
- December 9, 2013 | Press Release
- November 1, 2013 | Alert
- October 22, 2013 | Alert
- October 18, 2013 | Alert
- October 16, 2013 | Speaking EngagementScott D. Delacourt, Speaker, Henry Gola, Speaker
- September 24, 2013 | Speaking EngagementDisability Access – The FCC’s Closed Captioning and Emergency Information RulesAT&T U-Verse Legal Staff CLE ProgramScott D. Delacourt, Presenter, Henry Gola, Presenter
- August 29, 2013 | Alert
- August 27, 2013 | Alert
- June 17, 2013 | Alert
- May 31, 2013 | AlertFCC Seeks Comment on Proposed Rules Requiring Accessibility of User Interfaces on Set-Top Boxes, Smartphones, PCs and other Devices Used to View Video Programming
- May 28, 2013 | Alert
- April 30, 2013 | AlertFCC Clarifies Accessibility Requirements for Internet Browsers, and Adopts New Requirements for Browsers Included with Mobile Telephones
- April 10, 2013 | Alert
- March 28, 2013 | Alert
- February 14, 2013 | Alert
- February 11, 2013 | Alert
- January 31, 2013 | Alert
- January 7, 2013 | Alert
- November 2012 | Newsletter
- November 2012 | Newsletter
- November 20, 2012 | Alert
- October 31, 2012 | Alert
- October 15, 2012 | Alert
- August 24, 2012 | Alert
- July 9, 2012 | Alert
- July 3, 2012 | Alert
- June 12, 2012 | Alert
- May 2012 | NewsletterNinth Circuit Court of Appeals Finds Public Television Ban for Issue and Political Advertisements Unconstitutional
- May 17, 2012 | Press Release
- April 3, 2012 | Alert
- March 2012 | Newsletter
- March 6, 2012 | AlertHenry Gola
- February 2012 | Newsletter
- February 2012 | Newsletter
- February 24, 2012 | AlertHenry Gola
- February 14, 2012 | AlertJohn M. Burgett, Henry Gola
- February 8, 2012 | Alert
- December 14, 2011 | Alert