J.D., with high honors, The George Washington University Law School; Order of the Coif
B.A., summa cum laude, University of Pennsylvania; Goldstone Prize for Academic Excellence
Notes Editor, The George Washington International Law Review
Bar and Court Admissions
District of Columbia Bar
U.S. District Courts for the District of Columbia and Eastern District of Virginia
Jillian counsels and represents government contractors and subcontractors on a broad range of government contracting and employment issues, including contract claims, disputes, and government and internal investigations. She also counsels and represents clients with a variety of trial and appellate matters before federal and state courts and administrative agencies.
- Assists government contractors in disputes with the federal government, including claims under the Contract Disputes Act (CDA) and appeals of contracting officer final decisions to the Boards of Contract Appeals.
- Member of team representing a major defense contractor in successfully-resolved litigation that involved 15 consolidated claims, including a government counterclaim, alleging breach of contract, delay and disruption, and constructive changes before the Armed Services Board of Contract Appeals (ASBCA).
- Conducts internal investigations on behalf of clients relating to various employment and government contracting issues, including time-charging, improper use of proprietary information, discrimination, retaliation, and sexual harassment issues.
- Counsels government contractors in responding to government investigations and subpoenas.
- Counsels federal government contractors on compliance with the statutes and regulations enforced by the U.S. Department of Labor’s (DOL) Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs (OFCCP) and represents clients during OFCCP audits of affirmative action and non-discrimination obligations.
- Assists clients in federal and state employment law matters, including issues related to the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), the Age Discrimination in Employment Act (ADEA), Title VII, Section 1981 of the Civil Rights Act, the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA), and the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA).
- Advises executive clients and companies on separation agreements, non-competition, non-solicitation, and confidentiality provisions.
- Counsels clients on employee vs. independent contractor classification under Internal Revenue Service (IRS), DOL, and various agencies’ guidelines.
- Drafts employment agreements, employee handbooks, and independent contractor agreements.
- Represents employers facing charges of discrimination before administrative agencies. Drafts position statements on behalf of clients for federal and state Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) agencies.
- Counsels public accommodations on avoiding ADA Title III challenges by the Department of Justice (DOJ) and private parties involving removal of architectural, communication, and transportation barriers; provision of auxiliary aids and services; and modification of policies, practices, and procedures.
- Counsels and analyzes evolving U.S. and international regulation of unmanned aircraft systems (UAS) manufacture and operation, including statutory and regulatory (Federal Aviation Administration (FAA)) interpretation, past and pending case law review.
- Successfully secured Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) benefits for two pro bono clients in appeals before the Social Security Administration (SSA).
- Law Clerk, The George Washington University Law School, Office of General Counsel (2007-2008)
- Judicial Intern for the Honorable Charles F. Lettow, U.S. Court of Federal Claims (2007)
- American Bar Association (ABA)
- Vice Chair, Section of Public Contract Law, Employment Safety and Labor Committee
- Virginia Bar Association
News & Insights
- November 23, 2016 | Alert
- November 1, 2016 | Press Release
- October 20, 2016 | Press ReleasePlaintiffs Hail U.S. Department of Justice Intervention in Pocomoke City Race Discrimination and Retaliation Case
- July 15, 2016 | Alert
- June 14, 2016 | Alert
- May 23, 2016 | Alert
- May 2016 | NewsletterDOL Final Overtime Rule Doubles White Collar Exemption Salary Threshold; Changes May Affect PAC Solicitable Class
- May 11, 2016 | AlertJillian D. Laughna
- April 2016 | ArticleService Contractor Magazine
- March 18, 2016 | Washington, DC | Speaking EngagementEqual Employment Advisory Council’s 2016 Annual Meeting and Policy ConferenceJillian D. Laughna, Panelist
- February 2016 | Newsletter
- December 21, 2015 | Alert
- July 1, 2015 | Alert
- Winter 2015 | Newsletter
- Winter 2015 | Newsletter
- January 30, 2015 | AlertJillian D. Laughna, Margaret E. Matavich
- January 12, 2015 | ArticleLaw360
- December 11, 2014 | AlertDOL’s 2015 New Year’s Resolutions: Increased Enforcement, Worker Classification, and the FLSA’s White Collar Overtime Exemptions
- November 2014 | ArticleBriefing Papers
- September 18, 2014 | Article
- August 8, 2014 | Alert
- June 19, 2014 | Alert
- April 11, 2014 | Alert
- April 1, 2014 | Alert
- Winter 2014 | Newsletter
- January 23, 2014 | Media MentionCompliance Week
- September 24, 2013 | AlertOFCCP Publishes Final Rules on Affirmative Action Obligations for Veterans and Individuals with Disabilities
- April 9, 2013 | Alert
- March 12, 2013 | ArticleBloomberg BNA's Daily Report for Executives
- March 12, 2013 | Press Release
- March 1, 2013 | Alert
- February 8, 2013 | Alert
- May 7, 2012 | Alert
- June 2011 | Article
- March 30, 2011 | Press Release