J.D., Washburn University School of Law
B.S., Washburn University
Bar and Court Admissions
District of Columbia Bar
Supreme Court of the United States
Jim, a six-term U.S. Congressman, was a member of the House Energy and Commerce Committee during his entire 12-year tenure in Congress. This Committee has broad jurisdiction over health care, energy, telecommunications, and environmental issues. He also served on the House Budget Committee, House Financial Services Committee, and House Veterans' Affairs Committee. Jim advises clients who have matters pending before Congress, federal agencies, and regulatory bodies. He has experience in energy, railroads, health care, insurance, international trade, and telecommunications.
Jim travels regularly to the Middle East to encourage interfaith dialogue and reconciliation. He has served as an international election monitor in countries like Iraq, Ukraine, and Nicaragua.
- Represents managed care organizations and online health insurance marketplaces.
- Represents publicly traded companies in health care related businesses.
- Represented domestic steel companies on issues related to international trade, including antidumping matters.
- Represented telecommunications associations on legislative issues related to Internet taxes, spectrum allocation, and facilitating emergency service communications.
- Represented the U.S. Wheat Gluten Industry in trade case.
- Advised on energy issues, pending before the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC).
- Represents a Class I Railroad on a broad range of rail and corporate issues.
- Represents clients in international disputes and litigations.
- U.S. Congressman (D-KS) (1983-1995)
- Member, U.S. House of Representatives, Health Subcommittee (1990-1995)
- Member, U.S. House of Representatives, Banking Committee (1990-1992)
- Member, U.S. House of Representatives, Budget Committee (1985-1991)
- Member, U.S. House of Representatives, Energy and Commerce Committee (1983-1995)
- Member, U.S. House of Representatives, Telecommunications Subcommittee (1985-1995)
- Member, U.S. House of Representatives, Veterans' Affairs Committee (1983-1995)
- Member, Kansas State House of Representatives (1973-1979)
- Acting Secretary of Revenue, State of Kansas (1979)
- President, Brosius, Slattery & Meyer, Inc. Realtors, Topeka, KS (1977-1981)
- Chairman, Childhood Disability Commission (1995)
- Board of Trustees, Aerospace Corporation (2006-2008)
- Council on Foreign Relations
- Board of Directors, Translational Genomics Research Institute (TGen)
- U.S. Association of Former Members of Congress
- Board of Directors, Washburn Endowment Association
- Board of Governors, Washburn University School of Law
- AV Peer Review Rating, Martindale-Hubbell's highest ranking by peers for general ethical standards and legal ability
- Received 2013 Burton Legal Writing Award
- Named one of DC's "Super Lawyers" for Government Relations by Super Lawyers magazine (2015-2016)
News & Insights
- October 21, 2016 | ArticleThe HillJim Slattery, Author
- April 23, 2015 | Press Release
- February 13, 2015 | Media MentionC-SPAN
- December 16, 2014 | Press Release
- October 26, 2014 | ArticleThe Lawrence Journal-WorldJim Slattery
- June 26, 2014 | Press Release
- February 25, 2014 | Press Release
- April 18, 2013 | Press ReleaseJim Slattery, Kathryn Bucher, Daniel Graham and Kate McDonald Receive 2013 Burton Award for Distinguished Legal Writing
- Summer 2012 | NewsletterSupreme Court Decision Upholding Affordable Care Act Affirms Contracting Opportunities in Insurance Exchanges and Medicaid
- July 16, 2012 | ArticleBloomberg BNA's Health Care Policy ReportJim Slattery, Kathryn Bucher
- April 26, 2012 | Washington, DC | Speaking EngagementCongressional Campaigns: Past, Present & FutureThe United States Association of Former Members of Congress PanelJim Slattery, Panelist
- February 29, 2012 | ArticleSmall Businesses, Their Employees Can Benefit from Health Care ReformBloomberg BNA's Daily Report for ExecutivesJim Slattery
- March 17, 2009 | Press Release