J.D., American University Washington College of Law
B.A., George Mason University
Bar and Court Admissions
District of Columbia Bar
Supreme Court of Virginia
District of Columbia Court of Appeals
Joan represents and counsels clients in transactional and regulatory matters before the Federal Communications Commission (FCC).
- Represents radio and television broadcast clients before the FCC on a wide variety of regulatory matters including spectrum auctions, licensing, and rulemakings.
- Provides guidance to broadcast clients on compliance with FCC rules, including: political advertising, quarterly reporting obligations, children's programming, recruitment and hiring, closed captioning, contests and promotions, and general compliance.
- Counsels Class A and LPTV stations on compliance matters.
- Negotiates agreements for complex broadcast transactions, including purchase and sale agreements, local marketing agreements, and option agreements.
- Assists school districts in navigating the E-rate application and funding process.
- Federal Communications Bar Association (FCBA)
News & Insights
- October 5, 2016 | Alert
- September 28, 2016 | Alert
- September 21, 2016 | Alert
- May 12, 2016 | Alert
- April 26, 2016 | AlertJoan Stewart
- February 12, 2016 | Alert
- January 14, 2016 | AlertWith the “Big Game” Approaching, Stations Should Be Careful About Use of Trademarks in Their Broadcasts and PromotionsJoan Stewart, Ari Meltzer
- November 20, 2015 | Alert
- November 9, 2015 | AlertAnnual DTV Ancillary/Supplementary Services Report for Commercial and Noncommercial Television Stations Due December 1, 2015
- May 26, 2015 | Alert
- May 12, 2015 | Alert
- May 7, 2015 | AlertClosed Captioning Quality Control: FCC Establishes Procedures to Report Non-Certifying Video Programmers
- November 17, 2014 | AlertAnnual DTV Ancillary/Supplementary Services Report for Commercial and Noncommercial Television Stations Due December 1, 2014
- October 24, 2014 | Alert
- July 24, 2014 | Alert
- March 31, 2014 | Alert
- February 25, 2014 | AlertFCC Updates and Clarifies Television Closed Captioning Rules, Seeks Comment on Extending Responsibility Beyond Broadcasters and MVPDs and Elimination of Certain Exemptions
- October 18, 2013 | AlertAnnual DTV Ancillary/Supplementary Services Report for Commercial and Noncommercial Television Stations Due December 2, 2013
- September 27, 2013 | Alert
- April 5, 2013 | Alert
- November 20, 2012 | AlertUpdate: Annual DTV Ancillary/Supplementary Services Report for Commercial and Noncommercial Television Stations Due December 3, 2012
- July 19, 2011 | AlertFCC Releases Rules Governing Digital Transition of Low Power Television Stations; Sets September 1, 2015 Deadline
- May 31, 2011 | Alert
- March 3, 2011 | Alert
- January 31, 2011 | Alert