J.D., magna cum laude, Syracuse University College of Law; Order of the Coif
M.S., S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications, Syracuse University
B.A., with honors, New Mexico State University
Notes and Comments Editor, Syracuse Law Review
Bar and Court Admissions
District of Columbia Bar
John represents broadcasters, financial institutions, and investors in a wide variety of complex regulatory, corporate, and transactional matters before the Federal Communications Commission (FCC). He has extensive experience counseling clients on digital television technology issues.
- Represents broadcasters, including major radio and television group owners, before the FCC on matters including: station construction and licensing, license renewals, facilities modifications, technical and interference issues, compliance with FCC multiple ownership and attribution rules, foreign ownership, children's programming, political advertising, program content issues, station contests, closed captioning, Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) requirements, and other FCC regulations affecting day-to-day station operation.
- Represents buyers, sellers, financial institutions, and investors in broadcast transactional matters, including the structuring of transactions, due diligence, and the negotiation and completion of station acquisitions and financing.
- Structures and documents mergers, acquisitions, joint arrangements (including joint sales agreements and shared services agreements), and other operational and content agreements for media clients.
- Counsels clients with respect to rulemaking and legislative initiatives impacting the mass media.
- Counsels consumer electronics manufacturers on FCC regulations affecting the rollout of digital television and digital radio products and services.
- American Bar Association (ABA)
- Federal Communications Bar Association (FCBA)
- Bayliss Broadcaster Award, John Bayliss Broadcast Foundation, for contributions to the radio industry (2003)
- AV Peer Review Rating, Martindale-Hubbell's highest ranking by peers for general ethical standards and legal ability
News & Insights
- October 7, 2016 | AlertFCC Streamlines Its Broadcast Foreign Ownership Rules and Establishes New Framework for Public Companies to Assess Foreign Ownership Compliance
- October 5, 2016 | Alert
- September 30, 2016 | Alert
- September 28, 2016 | Alert
- September 21, 2016 | Alert
- April 26, 2016 | Alert
- April 14, 2016 | Alert
- November 9, 2015 | AlertAnnual DTV Ancillary/Supplementary Services Report for Commercial and Noncommercial Television Stations Due December 1, 2015
- October 20, 2015 | Alert
- June 10, 2015 | AlertFCC Releases Preliminary List of Auction-Eligible Facilities; Asks Stations to Certify Accuracy of Technical Data By July 9, 2015
- May 13, 2015 | Alert
- May 12, 2015 | Alert
- May 7, 2015 | AlertClosed Captioning Quality Control: FCC Establishes Procedures to Report Non-Certifying Video Programmers
- November 17, 2014 | AlertAnnual DTV Ancillary/Supplementary Services Report for Commercial and Noncommercial Television Stations Due December 1, 2014
- March 14, 2014 | AlertJohn M. Burgett, Kathryne C. Dickerson
- October 18, 2013 | AlertAnnual DTV Ancillary/Supplementary Services Report for Commercial and Noncommercial Television Stations Due December 2, 2013
- November 20, 2012 | AlertUpdate: Annual DTV Ancillary/Supplementary Services Report for Commercial and Noncommercial Television Stations Due December 3, 2012
- September 19, 2012 | Dallas, TX | Speaking Engagement2012 NAB Radio ShowJohn M. Burgett, Panelist
- June 12, 2012 | AlertKathleen A. Kirby, John M. Burgett
- February 14, 2012 | AlertJohn M. Burgett
- August 25, 2011 | Alert
- July 19, 2011 | AlertFCC Releases Rules Governing Digital Transition of Low Power Television Stations; Sets September 1, 2015 Deadline
- May 31, 2011 | Alert
- May 31, 2011 | AlertJohn M. Burgett
- May 17, 2011 | Atlanta, GA | Speaking EngagementMedia Finance Focus 2011: The Media Financial Management Association's 51st Annual ConferenceJohn M. Burgett, Speaker
- January 31, 2011 | Alert
- March 14, 2003 | Press Release