J.D., University of Tulsa College of Law
Ph.D., School of Journalism, University of Iowa
B.A., University of Notre Dame
Bar and Court Admissions
District of Columbia Bar
Supreme Court of the United States
John serves as consulting counsel to Wiley Rein LLP. He is a leading advocate of the First Amendment and marketing issues throughout the government, including the Federal Trade Commission (FTC), the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), the U.S. Department of Commerce, and the White House.
- Provides strategic counseling to companies and trade associations on legal, public policy, and public affairs issues related to health policy.
- Advises health care marketing clients on impact of congressional and agency actions related to health care reform and drug policy.
- Advises advertising clients on all aspects of regulatory compliance, including privacy and claims substantiation.
- Counsels pharmaceutical companies on consumer advertising, professional advertising and promotion, and continuing medical education.
- Co-author of amicus brief submitted to the California Supreme Court successfully arguing that applying a controversial false advertising statute to a scientific article published in a peer review journal would violate the publisher's First Amendment rights.
- Executive Director, Coalition for Healthcare Communication
- Editorial Advisor, Rx Compliance Report, Medical Marketing and Media, and FDA Advertising and Promotion Manual
- Senior Vice President, American Association of Advertising Agencies (1989-2000). Responsible for monitoring Congress, federal agencies, and the courts addressing issues of importance pertaining to the advertising industry and the association's members
- Legal and Policy Advisor to Chairmen Mark Fowler and Dennis Patrick and Commissioner James Quello (1985-1989), Federal Communications Commission (FCC). Served more than nine years in senior policy positions at the FCC, including three years as head of the Office of Congressional and Public Affairs
- Assistant Professor, University of Tulsa, Chair of the Print and Broadcast Journalism Program (1973-1980)
- Managing Editor, Daily Iowan (1972) and Reporter and Editor, military newspaper in Vietnam (1970)
- NYC Health Business Leaders, Public Advisory Board
- Federal Trade Commission, Advisory Committee on Privacy Access and Security (2000)
- International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP)
- Michael Stern Parkinson's Research Foundation, Advisory Council
- AV Peer Review Rating, Martindale-Hubbell's highest ranking by peers for general ethical standards and legal ability
News & Insights
- March 2, 2016 | Media MentionBloomberg BNA’s Pharmaceutical Law & Industry Report
- January 19, 2016 | Media MentionBloomberg BNA’s Pharmaceutical Law & Industry Report
- March 19, 2013 | Chandler, AZ | Speaking EngagementPolitics, Policy and the First Amendment: What to Expect from Capitol Hill, HHS, FDA and the Courts during the Second Term of the Obama AdministrationMedical and Scientific Communications 2013 Annual ForumJohn F. Kamp, Keynote Speaker
- February 15, 2006 | Press Release
- May 6, 2005 | Press ReleaseWiley Rein & Fielding’s John F. Kamp Co-Authors Book on Strategies to Win FDA Drug Approvals and Then Stay in Compliance with FDA Rules
- May 26, 2004 | Press Release
- December 23, 2003 | Press Release
- July 16, 2002 | Press ReleaseFirst Amendment Analysis of Proposed Restrictions on Prescription Drug Advertising Reveals Flaws in Congressional Proposals to Curtail the Speech