J.D., magna cum laude, George Mason University School of Law
B.A., magna cum laude, The George Washington University; Phi Beta Kappa
Notes Editor, George Mason University Civil Rights Law Journal
Bar and Court Admissions
District of Columbia Bar
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
Karen counsels insurers in connection with coverage issues arising under professional liability and general liability policies, and she represents her clients in coverage litigation in state and federal courts nationwide.
- Counsels insurers on potential coverage issues and litigation strategies.
- Represents clients in a variety of complex coverage litigation issues, including drafting pleadings, motions practice, and discovery.
- Advises insurers on mediation and settlement issues and strategies for handling claims.
- Serves as monitoring counsel in connection with directors and officers, lawyers, and other professional liability claims.
- Serves as defense counsel in complex professional liability actions.
- Intern, D.C. Superior Court, Chambers of The Honorable Gerald Fisher (2008)
- American Bar Association (ABA), Section of Litigation, Insurance Coverage Litigation Committee
- Co-Chair, Young Lawyers Subcommittee
- Professional Liability Underwriting Society (PLUS)
- Virginia Bar Association (VBA)
- Women's Bar Association of the District of Columbia (WBA)
News & Insights
- October 20, 2016 | Washington, DC | Speaking EngagementThe In-House Perspective on Outside CounselAmerican Bar Association's 2016 Women in Insurance Networking and CL WorkshopKaren L. Toto, Moderator
- September 2016 | Newsletter
- August 2016 | Newsletter
- August 2016 | Newsletter
- March 31, 2016 | Press ReleaseWiley Rein and ACLU-MD Secure Favorable Ruling for Pro Bono Clients in Maryland Personal Information Civil Case
- December 2015 | ArticleThe Draft ALI Restatement of the Law of Liability Insurance: Consequences of Breach of the Duty to Defend Are Not and Should Not Become the Automatic Forfeiture of Coverage Defenses68 RUTGERS U. L. REV. 65Laura A. Foggan, Karen L. Toto
- November 2015 | NewsletterClaim Asserting Innocence in Alleged Copyright Infringement “Arises Out of” Copyright Infringement and Triggers Exclusion
- November 4, 2015 | Press Release
- August 2015 | Newsletter
- July 2015 | NewsletterContractual Liability Exclusion Bars Coverage for Insureds’ Alleged Liability under Contract, Regardless Whether Contracts Are Actually Valid
- July 2015 | Newsletter
- June 2015 | Newsletter
- May 29, 2015 | Press ReleaseWiley Rein Secures Important Precedential Ruling for Pro Bono Clients in Maryland Personal-Information Case
- May 2015 | Newsletter
- March 2015 | Newsletter
- March 4, 2015 | Tucson, AZ | Speaking EngagementABA's 2015 Insurance Coverage Litigation Committee CLE SeminarKaren L. Toto, Speaker
- January 28, 2015 | Press Release
- November 14, 2014 | Press Release
- February 2014 | ArticleKentucky Intermediate Appellate Court Rules Exclusion for Violation of Licensure Laws Inapplicable in Medical Malpractice ActionMedical Liability Monitor Vol. 39, No. 2Benjamin C. Eggert, Karen L. Toto