J.D., University of Virginia School of Law; Order of the Coif
B.A., B.S., summa cum laude, Oral Roberts University
Executive Editor and Editorial Board Member, Virginia Law Review
Editorial Board Member, Virginia Journal of International Law
Bar and Court Admissions
District of Columbia Bar
Supreme Court of the United States
U.S. Courts of Appeals for the First, Second, Fourth, and District of Columbia Circuits
U.S. District Courts for the Eastern District of Virginia and Eastern District of Wisconsin
Karyn has a diverse practice that focuses on developing and implementing cutting edge legal, regulatory, and commercial strategies for clients in highly competitive and highly-regulated industries, including broadcasting and satellite communications and pharmaceuticals.
- Involved in copyright, Internet downloading, and webcasting issues affecting the broadcasting and satellite radio industries.
- Advises clients on a wide range of copyright issues, with particular emphasis on music licensing issues.
- Negotiates music licenses and represents clients in music licensing fee disputes.
- Serving as counsel for the National Association of Broadcasters and the National Religious Broadcasters Noncommercial Music License Committee in the upcoming proceeding before the Copyright Royalty Judges to set digital sound recording performance fees for Internet streaming for license years 2016-2020.
- Represented broadcasting group in proceeding before the American Society of Composers Authors and Publishers (ASCAP) rate court to set license fees for the public performance of musical works in ASCAP's repertory over broadcast radio.
- Represented various broadcasting groups in proceedings before the Copyright Royalty Judges and a Copyright Arbitration Royalty Panel (CARP) to set webcasting copyright royalties for the public performance of sound recordings.
- Represented satellite radio company in proceeding before the Copyright Royalty Judges to set copyright royalties for the public performance of sound recordings over satellite digital audio radio services.
- Represented large telecommunications company in proceeding before the ASCAP rate court to set license fees for the public performance of musical works in ASCAP's repertory in various wireless communications products and services.
- Filed amicus briefs and memoranda in leading Internet copyright, fair use, and music licensing cases, including MGM v. Grokster in the Supreme Court; Cambridge University Press v. Becker (Georgia State e-reserves); Author's Guild, Inc. v. Hathitrust (U. Michigan digital library); and U.S. vs. ASCAP (the DMX, MobiTV and Music Choice cases).
- Drafted comments on behalf of telecommunications client regarding exemptions from the anticircumvention provision under section 1201 of the Copyright Act.
- Represented clients in various patent infringement actions involving pharmaceutical products, camcorder technology, space satellite technology, and personal mobility vehicles.
- Successfully defended client against trademark infringement and dilution claims in one of the earliest proceedings construing the Federal Trademark Dilution Act.
- Represents clients in various trademark infringement and dilution proceedings.
- Represented association in trade secret misappropriation case and negotiated settlement that embodied favorable resolution of trademark issues.
Food & Drug:
- Represented a leading pharmaceutical company in high-profile litigation involving the preemptive scope of the Food and Drug Administration's (FDA) new drug approval process on state tort law claims.
- Represented various plaintiffs in the successful Administrative Procedure Act (APA) challenge of the FDA's mandatory pediatric drug testing regulations.
- Assisted a biopharmaceutical company in Hatch-Waxman litigation involving scope of patent and regulatory rights under National Institutes of Health (NIH) research grants.
- Drafted amicus brief for pharmaceutical client regarding scope of branded innovator pharmaceutical manufacturer's duty to warn about risks arising from use of bioequivalent generic drug product.
- Represented a pharmaceutical manufacturer in an FDA administrative proceeding to determine the applicability of pediatric exclusivity to approval of certain Paragraph IV Abbreviated New Drug Applications (ANDA).
- Assisted a client in drafting comments to the FDA in a regulatory proceeding to evaluate the scope of First Amendment commercial free speech rights for manufacturers of FDA-regulated products.
- Represented a major pharmaceutical manufacturer in a successful defense of an APA lawsuit brought against the FDA by a competitor seeking to impose regulatory restrictions on the permissible manner and scope of sales and distribution of FDA-approved prescription drug products.
- American Intellectual Property Law Association (AIPLA)
- The Copyright Society of the USA (CSUSA)
- Named by The Legal 500 US a “recommended lawyer” in Copyright Law (2015)
News & Insights
- November 23, 2015 | Press Release
- October 22, 2015 | ArticleLaw360
- July 24, 2015 | Media MentionKaryn Ablin Delivers Oral Argument to the CRB on Behalf of National Religious Broadcasters Noncommercial Music License CommitteeCommunications Daily
- June 3, 2015 | Press Release
- March 19, 2015 | Washington, DC | SpeakerFCBA CLE Seminar
- June 13, 2014 | ArticleLaw360
- June 11, 2014 | ArticleSecond Circuit Upholds the Fair Use Rights of University Libraries To Digitize Their Collections To Make Them More Accessible for Uses that Promote LearningBy Bruce G. Joseph, Karyn K. Ablin
- March 20, 2014 | Press Release
- March 19, 2014 | New York, NY | PanelistLitigation Update: YouTube (never ends), Aereo (might end soon), and Web IV Rate-Setting Proceeding (never ever ends)Music Business Association's Entertainment & Technology Law Conference
- April 2, 2013 | Alert
- October 2, 2012 | Press Release
- April 20, 2011 | Media MentionThe National Law Journal
- March 16, 2011 | Alert
- March 14, 2011 | ArticleThe National Law Journal
- January 7, 2011 | Alert
- January 4, 2011 | Alert
- June 7, 2005 | Press Release
- March 1, 2005 | Press Release
- June 28, 2004 | Press Release
- May 21, 2002 | Press Release