J.D., cum laude, Washington University School of Law
B.A., Emory University
Associate Editor, Washington University Journal of Law & Policy
Bar and Court Admissions
District of Columbia Bar
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
Katy offers counsel to clients on a variety of telecommunications regulatory, transactional, and compliance matters.
- Assists clients with a variety of Federal Communication Commission (FCC) wireless and satellite licensing issues in a rapidly changing regulatory environment, frequently preparing comments, replies, and other legal pleadings.
- Counsels clients on the legal, policy, and procedural aspects associated with securing FCC approval for both complex mergers and acquisitions as well as smaller telecommunications transactions.
- Assists with drafting and negotiating commercial agreements regarding communications transactions.
- Advocates for communications clients' policy objectives.
- Counsels communications clients on compliance with the federal and state regulatory obligations.
- Has experience advising clients about broadband funding programs established by the National Telecommunications and Information Administration (NTIA) and the Rural Utilities Service (RUS). Assists clients with obtaining funding under these programs and counsels clients on compliance issues.
- Provides advice on U.S. unmanned aircraft systems (UAS) legal, regulatory, and public policy issues, including analysis of FCC, Federal Aviation Administration (FAA), and state law considerations.
- Maintains an active pro bono practice. Katy has represented indigent individuals in a landlord/tenant matter and in multiple Social Security benefits appeals.
- Intern, U.S. Attorney's Office, Southern District of Illinois, Organized Crime Drug Enforcement Task Force (2008)
- Legal Intern, Advocacy Forum-Nepal (2007)
- American Bar Association (ABA)
- Federal Communications Bar Association (FCBA)
News & Insights
- September 7, 2016 | ArticleChanges to the FCC’s Bond Requirements Ease Burdens on Satellite LicenseesSatelliteFinance
- September 2, 2016 | Alert
- August 30, 2016 | ArticleWileyConnect
- August 11, 2016 | ArticleUAS Vision
- May 11, 2016 | ArticleLaw360
- November 9, 2015 | Las Vegas, NV | Panelist2015 Unmanned Aircraft Systems Issues and Integration Conference
- May 8, 2015 | Cambridge, MD | Co-ModeratorConsequences of Net Neutrality: Perspectives from Across the Industry2015 FCBA Annual Seminar
- April 2, 2015 | Austin, TX | Speaker2015 National Hurricane Conference
- February 2015 | Newsletter
- January 7, 2015 | Alert
- December 9, 2014 | ArticleUnmanned Aerial Online
- December 3, 2014 | Alert
- September 25, 2014 | Alert
- August 25, 2014 | Alert
- July 2, 2014 | Media MentionLaw360
- June 25, 2014 | Alert
- May 2014 | Newsletter
- April 1, 2014 | Alert
- March 11, 2014 | ArticleLaw360
- February 20, 2014 | ArticleLaw360
- September 24, 2013 | Alert
- August 15, 2013 | Alert
- February 6, 2012 | Press Release
- May 18, 2011 | Press Release