J.D., with highest honors, Duke University School of Law; Order of the Coif
B.S., magna cum laude, Arizona State University
Member, Law and Contemporary Problems Journal
Law Clerk for the Honorable William C. Bryson, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit (2000-2001)
Bar and Court Admissions
District of Columbia Bar
North Carolina Bar
U.S. Courts of Appeals for the Sixth and Federal Circuits
U.S. District Courts for the District of Columbia, Eastern District of Texas, and Eastern District of Michigan
U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
Kevin serves as chair of the firm’s Patent Practice. With more than 15 years of experience representing Fortune 100 companies, innovators, and a wide range of technology-centered entrepreneurs, he assists clients in developing, protecting, and capitalizing on their intellectual property. Kevin specializes in patent litigation, counseling, and licensing; copyrights for technology and computer-related companies; and trademark/trade dress infringement.
- Successfully litigated cases involving a broad swath of technologies including: wireless standards such as CDMA and WiFi; broadband Internet technologies such as asymmetric digital subscriber line (ADSL); wireless applications such as the SMS; navigation systems; communications and other networking technologies; microprocessor technology; wireless email products; software; computer systems; LEDs; pharmaceuticals; and medical devices.
- Successfully defended large wireless carrier in numerous patent cases throughout the United States including wins at trial, on summary judgment, and at pleading stage.
- Successfully litigated numerous cases for client ARM Ltd. in defense of claims of patent infringement pertaining to the design of microprocessors including cases brought against downstream users of ARM-based processors.
- Enforcement of Java software copyrights against foreign infringers.
- Defended large multinational corporation against numerous unfounded patent, design patent, trademark, trade dress, and copyright infringement allegations.
- Successfully litigated drug patent cases relating to Abbreviated New Drug Applications (ANDA) through trial and appeal.
- Drafted summary judgment, trial, and appellate briefs for successful assertion of NTP wireless email patents against BlackBerry devices.
- Appeared on behalf of defendants in intellectual property cases in broad variety of venues including Federal district courts in Virginia, Texas, Delaware, New York, Illinois, California, New Jersey, Michigan, Florida, West Virginia, and Georgia.
- Ten years of experience designing and developing complex computer systems and knowledge of microprocessors, software, algorithms, computer graphics, and telecommunications systems prior to law school
- American Bar Association (ABA)
- Named one of DC's "Super Lawyers" for Intellectual Property Litigation by Super Lawyers magazine (2013-2016)
News & Insights
- April 23, 2015 | Press Release
- February 5, 2015 | Press Release
- January 29, 2015 | Press Release
- April 25, 2014 | Press Release
- June 27, 2013 | Media MentionLaw360
- April 19, 2013 | Press Release
- October 2, 2012 | Press Release
- May 26, 2011 | Media MentionLaw360
- July 10, 2008 | Press Release
- May 12, 2008 | Press Release
- December 31, 2007 | Press Release
- June 1, 2007 | Press Release
- September 7, 2006 | Press Release
- March 3, 2006 | Press Release
- November 30, 2005 | Press Release
- October 26, 2005 | Press ReleaseSupreme Court Denies RIM's Motion in NTP v. Research In Motion Patent Dispute
- September 28, 2005 | Press Release
- May 23, 2005 | Press Release
- March 16, 2005 | Press Release
- December 14, 2004 | Press Release