J.D., William & Mary Law School
B.A., University of Virginia
Law Clerk for the Honorable John M. Facciola, U.S. Magistrate Judge, U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia (1999-2000)
Bar and Court Admissions
District of Columbia Bar
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth and Tenth Circuits
U.S. District Courts for the District of Columbia and Eastern District of Virginia
Kevin’s practice focuses on securities fraud, defense procurement fraud, and Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA) matters. As a former Assistant Chief in the Fraud Section of the Criminal Division of the U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ) and Senior Counsel in the Enforcement Division of the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC), Kevin has firsthand knowledge and insight into government operations and processes. He relies on his prosecutorial experience to develop thoughtful investigative and trial strategies.
- Represented Board members of charitable organizations in domestic and international DOJ and Office of Inspector General Investigations.
- Representing entity in parallel SEC and DOJ municipal bond investigation.
- Representing individual in DOJ antitrust investigation.
- Routinely investigated and prosecuted cases at DOJ and SEC involving securities fraud, bribery and public corruption, accounting fraud, benchmark rate fixing, insider trading, bank fraud, procurement fraud, the FCPA, and money laundering.
- Coordinated national and international fraud investigations and prosecutions with domestic and international regulators, U.S. Attorney’s Offices, the Federal Bureau of Investigation, the U.S. Postal Inspection Service, and various Inspectors General.
- Obtained convictions in numerous, multi-week jury trials in federal district courts across the country. Successfully briefed and argued cases in appellate courts.
- Prior to government service, represented clients in private practice in complex litigation involving white collar, RICO, fraud, government contracts, and construction disputes.
- Adjunct Professor, Complex Securities Investigations, Georgetown University Law Center (2015-Present)
- U.S. Department of Justice, Criminal Division, Fraud Section, Securities and Financial Fraud Unit
- Assistant Chief (2013-2016)
- Trial Attorney (2010-2013)
- Senior Counsel, U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission, Enforcement Division (2004-2010)
- Advisory Board Member, Anti-Corruption & Anti-Money Laundering Law Student Association, Georgetown University Law Center (2016)
News & Insights
- December 8, 2016 | Washington, DC | Speaking EngagementFood and Drug Law Institute's Enforcement, Litigation, and Compliance ConferenceKevin B. Muhlendorf, Speaker
- November 30, 2016 | Alert
- November 2016 | Newsletter
- October 5, 2016 | Media MentionWashington Lawyer
- September 20, 2016 | AlertSEC Continues its Assault on Lawyers – This Time in Government Contracting for Failure to Disclose False Claims Act Liability
- August 12, 2016 | AlertKevin B. Muhlendorf, George E. Petel
- August 11, 2016 | Alert
- June 9, 2016 | AlertMorgan Stanley Pays $1 Million in Settlement with SEC Over Failure to Protect Customer Data from Insider
- June 6, 2016 | Washington, DC | Speaking EngagementInternational Law InstituteRalph J. Caccia, Speaker, Kevin B. Muhlendorf, Speaker
- May 25, 2016 | Alert
- May 2, 2016 | AlertDOJ Compliance Counsel, VimpelCom Resolution, and FCPA Pilot Program Highlight Opportunities Presented for Telecom Industry by Robust Compliance, Self-disclosure, and Cooperation in Foreign Bribery Cases
- April 4, 2016 | Press ReleaseVeteran Federal Prosecutor Kevin Muhlendorf Joins Wiley Rein’s White Collar Defense & Government Investigations Practice