J.D., magna cum laude, George Mason University School of Law
B.A., with high distinction, University of Virginia; Phi Beta Kappa
Member, George Mason Law Review
Bar and Court Admissions
District of Columbia Bar
U.S. Courts of Appeals for the Second and Ninth Circuits
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
Leland represents professional liability insurers in coverage litigation and counsels insurers on potential coverage issues.
Obtained summary judgment determining that insurer had no duty to defend or indemnify insured accountant for lawsuit because insured had prior knowledge of claim before inception of policy and because lawsuit did not allege accountant performed any professional services. Continental Casualty Co. v. Stephen Evans, et al., No. 2:13-cv-2379-JJT (D. Ariz Apr. 21, 2015).
- Presented oral argument and obtained summary judgment determining that insurer had no duty to defend or indemnify insured accountant for lawsuit alleging that insured breached agreement to repay loans from client. Navigators Insurance Co. v. Hamlin, et al., No. 6:14-cv-196-MC, 2015 WL 1084825 (D. Or. Mar. 10, 2015).
- Obtained summary judgment determining that insurer had no duty to defend or indemnify insureds in an underlying malpractice suit arising from sale of investments in mortgages. Darwin National Assurance Company v. Rosenthal, et al., No. 2:13-cv-05670-FMO-RZ (C.D. Cal. Sept. 24, 2014).
- Advises insurers on potential coverage issues and assists in monitoring complex litigation and regulatory investigations under directors and officers, errors and omissions, lawyers malpractice, bankers, investment advisors, financial services, fidelity, and employment practices liability policies.
- Counsels professional liability insurers in coverage litigation in the state and federal courts across the country.
- Particular experience in policy rescission actions and coverage litigation concerning prior knowledge provisions.
- Assists insurers in assessing potential bad faith exposure for claims handling practices and represents insurers in bad faith litigation.
- Drafts and reviews policy forms and endorsements for insurers with a focus on fidelity and cyber-liability wording addressing new risks and exposures.
- Research Assistant, Professor Jeffrey Parker, George Mason University School of Law (2007-2009)
- Legal Intern, U.S. Department of Justice, U.S. Attorney's Office (2007)
News & Insights
- September 2016 | Newsletter
- August 2016 | NewsletterInsurer Entitled to Rescind Policy Based on Insured’s Failure to Disclose Claim Made After Application Submitted but Before Coverage Bound
- July 2016 | NewsletterExcess Insurer Can Pursue Statutory and Common Law Bad Faith Claims Against Primary Insurer as Assignee of Insured
- July 2016 | Newsletter
- June 2016 | NewsletterExcess Insurer Can Pursue Statutory and Common Law Bad Faith Claims Against Primary Insurer as Assignee of Insured
- May 2016 | Newsletter
- April 2016 | Newsletter
- April 2016 | NewsletterPrior Knowledge Condition Does Not Bar Coverage for Suit Alleging Negligent Licensure of Foster Parent
- February 2016 | Newsletter
- January 2016 | NewsletterSpecific Litigation Exclusion Bars Coverage for Condo Owners’ Second Lawsuit against Condo Association
- December 2015 | Newsletter
- October 2015 | Newsletter
- October 2015 | NewsletterProfessional Services Exclusion in D&O Policy Bars Coverage for Claim Arising from Provision of Payroll Services
- October 2015 | Newsletter
- September 2015 | Newsletter
- August 2015 | NewsletterFinancial Institution Bond Bars Coverage for Loss Not Resulting Solely from Duties of Outside Investment Advisor
- July 2015 | Newsletter
- June 2015 | Newsletter
- June 2015 | NewsletterProfessional Services Exclusion Does Not Bar Coverage Because Alleged Wrongful Conduct Tenuously Connected to Provision of Professional Services
- April 2015 | NewsletterBorrowing Funds from Client Does Not Constitute Professional Services and Profit Exclusion Bars Coverage for Accountant's Failure to Repay Client
- April 2015 | Newsletter
- February 2015 | Newsletter
- February 2015 | NewsletterClaimant Has No Right to Policy Proceeds as Judgment Creditor of Insured Who Defaulted in Underlying Action
- October 2013 | ArticleProfessional Liability Underwriting Society Journal, Vol. 26, No. 10David H. Topol, Leland H. Jones, IV
- December 2010 | ArticlePLUS Journal Issue XXIII, Volume 12David H. Topol, Leland H. Jones, IV