J.D., cum laude, Georgetown University Law Center
B.A., cum laude, Washington & Lee University
Administrative Editor, Georgetown Journal of Law and Public Policy
Bar and Court Admissions
District of Columbia Bar
U.S. District Courts for the District of Colorado and Western District of Tennessee
Margaret represents insurers in connection with coverage issues and disputes arising under professional liability and general liability insurance policies.
- Advises insurers on potential coverage issues, including the applicability of various policy conditions and exclusions.
- Serves as monitoring counsel in connection with ongoing complex insurance litigation matters in state and federal courts.
- Drafts motions and pleadings on behalf of insurers involved in coverage litigation.
- Conducts legal research addressing a wide variety of issues for clients involved in complex insurance litigation.
- Advises insurers as to their rights and obligations under the Medicare Secondary Payer (MSP) statute and Section 111 of the Medicare, Medicaid, and SCHIP Extension Act of 2007.
- Government Relations Intern, American Enterprise Institute (2011)
- Intern, Congressman Eric Cantor and Office of the Republican Whip (2010)
- Intern, Center for Health Transformation (2009)
News & Insights
- April 2017 | NewsletterInitial Inquiry Letter from Office of Disciplinary Counsel Constitutes “Disciplinary Proceeding,” Triggering Notice Obligation
- March 6, 2017 | ArticleThe D&O DiaryDavid H. Topol, Margaret D. Thomas
- March 2017 | NewsletterInsured’s Failure to Obtain Insurer’s Consent Prior to Executing Settlement Term Sheet Precludes Coverage
- January 2017 | Newsletter
- December 2016 | Newsletter
- November 2016 | Newsletter
- November 2016 | NewsletterAbsent Prejudice, Untimely Notice Does Not Preclude Coverage if Notice Provided During Renewal Policy Period
- September 2016 | Newsletter
- September 2016 | NewsletterRescission Warranted When Policyholder Failed to Disclose Past Department of Insurance Investigations in Application
- August 2016 | Newsletter
- July 2016 | Newsletter
- June 2016 | NewsletterReplacement Professional Liability Policy Sufficiently “Similar” to Original Policy to Prevent Application of Extended Reporting Period
- April 2016 | NewsletterSeventh Circuit Holds Insured’s Material Misrepresentations in Application Warrant Rescission of Policy
- March 2016 | NewsletterNo Coverage Under D&O Policy For Misrepresentations Regarding Mortgage-Backed Securities Because Not “Securities Of” the Insured