J.D., cum laude, University of Baltimore School of Law
B.A., University of Maryland
Member, University of Baltimore Law Review
Bar and Court Admissions
District of Columbia Bar
U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit
Mark has an extensive practice, advising owners of television and radio stations on all aspects of Federal Communications Commission (FCC) rules and regulations. He is the premier practitioner in the area of station improvement and technical rules and policies.
- Serves as FCC Counsel for large and small radio groups involved in the most complex allocation and licensing proceedings.
- Participates in FCC proceedings which create rules and policies to allocate new and modified radio and television stations. Advises industry groups, associations, and regulatory committees on various FCC matters.
- Argues appellate cases before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit.
- Represents broadcast licensees in various FCC proceedings including enforcement, renewals, auctions, litigation, and transactions.
- Serves as expert witness in litigation cases.
- Private Practice (1988-Present)
- Chief, Federal Communications Commission, Mass Media Bureau, Allocations Branch (1980-1988)
- Attorney-Advisor, Federal Communications Commission, Broadcast Bureau (1974-1980)
- American Bar Association (ABA)
- Association of Federal Communications Consulting Engineers (AFCCE)
- Cable Television Advisory Board (Montgomery County, Maryland)
- Federal Communications Bar Association (FCBA)
- Co-Chair, Mass Media Practice Committee
- Extraordinary Service Award from Minority Media Telecommunications Council (July 2009)
- Included in The Best Lawyers in America directory for Communications Law (2010-2017)
- AV Peer Review Rating, Martindale-Hubbell's highest ranking by peers for general ethical standards and legal ability
News & Insights
- July 18, 2016 | Alert
- July 7, 2016 | Alert
- December 31, 2015 | AlertMark N. Lipp
- November 6, 2015 | ArticleRadio WorldMark N. Lipp
- October 28, 2015 | AlertFCC Creates New Opportunities for AM Stations to Obtain FM Translators; Seeks Comment on Additional Revitalization Proposals
- November 20, 2013 | Article
- November 4, 2013 | Alert
- November 2012 | Newsletter
- October 15, 2012 | AlertMark N. Lipp, Kathleen A. Kirby
- May 2012 | Newsletter
- July 21, 2011 | AlertMark N. Lipp
- May 13, 2011 | Speaking EngagementThe Use of Channels 5 and 6 for FM BroadcastingPuerto Rico Broadcasters Association's Annual SeminarMark N. Lipp, Speaker
- March 8, 2011 | AlertMark N. Lipp
- January 5, 2011 | AlertMark N. Lipp