J.D., cum laude, University of South Carolina School of Law; Order of the Wig and Robe; American Jurisprudence Awards in Torts and Property
A.B., with honors, Hood College
Editor, South Carolina Law Review
Law Clerk for the Honorable James M. Brailsford, Supreme Court of South Carolina (1967-1968)
Bar and Court Admissions
District of Columbia Bar
South Carolina Bar
Supreme Court of the United States
U.S. Courts of Appeals for the Fourth, Seventh, and District of Columbia Circuits
Mary Jo serves as a consultant to Wiley Rein LLP. She was previously of counsel at the firm for more than 15 years and has more than 30 years of experience in the communications field with particular experience in telecommunications and advanced technology legislative and regulatory proceedings.
- Represents wireless carriers and manufacturers on regulatory and legislative policies and strategies.
- Represents a mass media trade association on business, regulatory, and legislative developments and priorities.
- Advises on digital mass media transition issues.
- Senior Managing Director and Deputy Practice Director for Advanced Technology and Telecommunications, Hill and Knowlton (1988-1998)
- Member, U.S. Delegation, International Telecommunications Union Plenipotentiaries, Kyoto, Japan (1994) and Minneapolis, MN (1998); and Policy Forum, Geneva, Switzerland (1996)
- Advisory Panel, U.S. Congress, Technology and the American Economic Transition, Office of Technology Assessments (1987-1988)
- Law partner specializing in telecommunications and advanced technology (1981-1988)
- Chief Communications Counsel, U.S. Senate, Committee on Commerce, Science and Transportation (1976-1981)
- Chief Legislative Counsel, U.S. Senator Ernest F. Hollings (D-SC) (1971-1976)
- Attorney-Advisor, U.S. Department of Justice, Office of the Deputy Attorney General (1970-1971)
- Counsel, U.S. House of Representatives, Committee on Armed Services (1968-1970)
- Federal Communications Bar Association (FCBA)
- National Women's Health Resource Center (NWHRC)
- Chair, Board of Directors (2005)
- Member, Board of Directors (2002-Present)
- Founding Member, The Tax Coalition (1984-Present)
- Women's Forum (1985-Present)
- Recipient of Hood College Distinguished Alumni Award (2014)
News & Insights
- July 16, 2012 | ArticleBloomberg BNA's Health Care Policy Report
- December 30, 2004 | Press Release