LL.M., Georgetown University Law Center
J.D., Emory University School of Law; Order of the Coif
B.S., University of Virginia
Bar and Court Admissions
District of Columbia Bar
Matt has more than 30 years of experience in the practice of tax law, both in government and in private practice, and generally counsels clients with respect to the tax aspects of corporate, partnership, and limited liability company transactions; tax controversies; tax-exempt entity matters; and general income tax accounting issues.
- Advises national and multi-national public and private corporations with respect to mergers, acquisitions, divestitures, spin-offs, restructurings, redemptions, and similar transactions.
- Structures and negotiates business transactions involving limited liability companies, partnerships, S corporations, cooperatives, and their equity holders of such entities as well as individual entrepreneurs.
- Advises debtors and creditors on the implications of troubled company workouts, including debt discharge, debt exchanges, recapitalizations, financing arrangements, and net operating loss utilization.
- Represents U.S. taxpayers with respect to foreign investments and foreign taxpayers with respect to U.S. investments, including issues of residency, permanent establishment, and tax treaty implications.
- Advises nonprofit organizations with respect to securing and retaining tax-exempt status, operational restrictions, and tax compliance matters.
- Represents taxpayers in civil tax controversies before the Internal Revenue Service (IRS), including examinations, ruling requests, administrative appeals, and litigation.
- Advises clients on the tax aspects of equity-based deferred compensation and other incentive compensation plans and arrangements.
- Advises clients on withholding, information reporting, and other tax compliance requirements.
- Counsels clients on income tax accounting and other general tax matters.
- Attorney, Review Section, Tax Division, U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ) (1978-1982). Admitted under the Attorney General's Honors Law Graduate Program; provided counsel on litigations involving novel issues, policy considerations, large amounts of money, significant litigation hazards, approval of the Joint Committee on Taxation, and proposed settlements with a divergence of opinion between the DOJ and the IRS
- AV Peer Review Rating, Martindale-Hubbell's highest ranking by peers for general ethical standards and legal ability
News & Insights
- March 3, 2016 | Press Release