J.D., magna cum laude, Georgetown University Law Center
B.A., Loyola University Maryland
Notes Editor, Georgetown Law Journal
Law Clerk for the Honorable J. Frederick Motz, U.S. District Court for the District of Maryland (2000-2001)
Bar and Court Admissions
District of Columbia Bar
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth and Ninth Circuits
U.S. District Courts for the District of Maryland, Northern District of California, and Southern District of California
Matt’s practice focuses on defending criminal and civil government enforcement actions, managing internal investigations regarding data breaches, and providing advice and litigation assistance on cybersecurity issues. He advises companies on compliance with the Communications Assistance for Law Enforcement Act (CALEA), the Electronic Communications Privacy Act (ECPA), the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act (CFAA), and the Wiretap Act. As a former federal prosecutor, Matt has practical experience in complex investigative and enforcement matters, which allows him to help limit his clients’ risk and liability. His experience conducting numerous jury trials allows him to develop an effective litigation strategy to achieve his clients’ goals.
- Successfully obtained summary judgement in FCA procurement fraud case seeking over $25 million in damages in matter in the Eastern District of Virginia.
- Advised client on data breach resulting in the theft of millions of dollars of copyrighted materials, including providing guidance on conducting the internal computer forensic investigation and collecting evidence to support an investigation by the Department of Justice.
- Advised client after the FBI determined that a DDOS attack had been launched by a third-party using the client's network.
- Assisted multiple clients on creating cyber incident response plans.
- Led investigation into sophisticated international cybercrime organization.
- Served as lead prosecutor in dozens of investigations involving computer crimes.
- Litigated over 20 federal felony jury trials.
- Represented several directors and officers of Silicon Valley companies in connection with internal investigations and government enforcement actions.
- Assistant U.S. Attorney, U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Eastern District of Virginia (2012-2015) and Southern District of California (2004-2006, 2008-2012)
- Private law practice (2001-2003, 2006-2008)
- New Hampshire Press Secretary, Governor Howard Dean’s Presidential Campaign (2003-2004)
- Recognized as one of the nation's top Cybersecurity & Data Privacy Trailblazers by The National Law Journal (2015)
News & Insights
- May 12, 2017 | AlertPresident Trump’s Cyber EO Contains Few Surprises, but Portends a Busy Year for Federal Agencies and the Private Sector
- April 26-27, 2017 | Boston, MA | Speaking EngagementToday's General Counsel InstituteMatthew J. Gardner, Lead Faculty
- March 8, 2017 | Speaking EngagementWiley Rein & Kroll WebinarMegan L. Brown, Matthew J. Gardner, Speakers
- March 8, 2017 | Press ReleaseWiley Rein Files Amicus Brief on Behalf of Key Nonprofit and Public Interest Groups in Critical Supreme Court Case Involving Rights of Naturalized U.S. Citizens
- February 2017 | Newsletter
- February 2017 | Newsletter
- February 10, 2017 | ArticleCircleID BlogMegan L. Brown, Matthew J. Gardner
- January 27, 2017 | Press Release
- December 6, 2016 | Los Angeles, CA | Speaking EngagementToday's General Counsel Institute on CybersecurityMatthew J. Gardner, Speaker
- December 2016 | Newsletter
- November 2016 | Newsletter
- October 21, 2016 | Alert
- July 2016 | Newsletter
- July 8, 2016 | ArticleLaw360Matthew J. Gardner, Stephen J. Obermeier
- July 6, 2016 | ArticleACLU Suit Attacks Computer Fraud and Abuse Act to Investigate Website Discrimination Using Controversial Online TacticsBloomberg BNA’s Electronic Commerce & Law Report
- June 9, 2016 | AlertMorgan Stanley Pays $1 Million in Settlement with SEC Over Failure to Protect Customer Data from Insider
- June 3, 2016 | ArticleBloomberg BNA’s Electronic Commerce & Law Report
- Spring 2016 | ArticleThe Procurement LawyerMatthew J. Gardner, Moshe B. Broder
- March 11, 2016 | Media MentionLaw360
- February 9, 2016 | Alert
- February 2, 2016 | Las Vegas, NV | Speaking EngagementOMB Cybersecurity Guidance & Recent Trends in Government ContractingManaged Health Care Compliance Association National ConferenceJon W. Burd, Matthew J. Gardner
- December 21, 2015 | AlertMegan L. Brown, Matthew J. Gardner
- December 15, 2015 | Press Release
- October 29, 2015 | Alert
- August 27, 2015 | AlertDepartment of Defense Issues Sweeping Interim Rule To Expand Cybersecurity Safeguarding Requirements, Reporting Obligations, and Cloud-Based Security
- August 2015 | Newsletter
- August 14, 2015 | AlertOffice of Management and Budget Releases Proposed Cybersecurity Guidelines for Government Contractors
- July 2015 | Newsletter
- June 16, 2015 | ArticleWill Broadband Providers Accept the FCC's Offer to Provide Guidance on Whether a Privacy Practice Is Reasonable?Bloomberg BNA's Telecommunications Law Resource Center
- May 4, 2015 | Press ReleaseFormer Assistant U.S. Attorney Matthew Gardner Joins Wiley Rein's Cybersecurity and White Collar Defense & Government Investigations Practices