J.D., cum laude, Harvard Law School
B.A., College of William & Mary; Phi Beta Kappa
Bar and Court Admissions
District of Columbia Bar
U.S. Courts of Appeals for the Fourth, Eleventh, Federal, and District of Columbia Circuits
U.S. District Courts for the District of Columbia and Eastern District of Virginia
Michael represents clients in a wide range of complex litigation matters in state and federal courts, including copyright royalty and infringement litigation, enforcement of intellectual property rights, multi-party franchise litigation, and Administrative Procedure Act (APA) review of agency action.
- Experienced advocate in sound recording and musical works royalty disputes before the Rate Court and the Copyright Royalty Board.
- Successfully represented relators in cases brought under the federal False Claims Act, resulting in recoveries exceeding $100 million.
- Represents and counsels franchisors in matters concerning virtually all aspects of the franchise relationship, including termination disputes, claims of breach of the implied covenant of good faith performance, claims of fraud in the inducement, territorial disputes, disputes regarding alternative distribution channels and Internet encroachment, and covenants not to compete, among others.
- Serves as counsel in litigations and arbitrations on various issues, including claims under federal and state trademark laws, federal copyright law, federal and state unfair competition laws, state franchise and deceptive trade practice acts, federal and state antitrust laws, and civil Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations Act (RICO), as well as state contract and tort claims related to commercial disputes.
- Serves as antitrust and general counsel to industry trade associations involved in the issuance and redemption of consumer products manufacturers’ “cents off” coupons and related digital technologies.
- Lead counsel in intellectual property cases, including patent, copyright, and trademark infringement.
- Experienced advocate in U.S. Courts of Appeals, as well as state and federal trial courts.
- American Bar Association (ABA)
- Section of Litigation
- Section of Administrative Law and Regulatory Practice
- Section of Intellectual Property Law
- Forum Committee on Franchising
- Defense Resource Institute (DRI)
News & Insights
- September 23, 2016 | Press Release
- January 13, 2014 | NewsletterNinth Circuit Decision Has Potential Implications for Franchisors Seeking Preliminary Injunctions Against Holdover Franchisees
- October 2, 2013 | Press ReleaseWiley Rein Amicus Brief Helps Persuade U.S. Supreme Court to Review Federal Circuit Ruling on Patent Litigation Attorney Fees
- April 29, 2013 | Press ReleaseWiley Rein Amicus Brief Urges Supreme Court Review of Federal Circuit Ruling on Patent Litigation Attorney Fees
- December 5, 2012 | Newsletter
- May 17, 2011 | Washington, DC | Speaking EngagementInternational Franchise Association Legal SymposiumMichael L. Sturm, Speaker
- January 14, 2004 | Press ReleaseWRF Litigators Secure Favorable Settlement for H&R Block on Valuation of Formerly Franchised Businesses
- December 1, 2003 | Press Release
- January 17, 2003 | Press Release
- June 1, 2000 | Press Release