J.D., University of Virginia School of Law
B.A., cum laude, Davidson College
Editorial Board, Virginia Environmental Law Journal
Bar and Court Admissions
District of Columbia Bar
U.S. District Courts for the District of Columbia and Eastern District of Virginia
Nick represents clients from a wide variety of industries on litigation, transactional, and regulatory matters. He specializes in counseling individual and corporate clients involved in government investigations and civil enforcement actions. He has conducted internal investigations for clients in response to allegations of misconduct and government inquiries. Nick also has extensive experience representing franchisors and licensors in connection with the legal issues arising from franchise and distribution networks.
- Represented facility operations and maintenance contractor in False Claims Act (FCA) litigation involving allegations of fraud in the Small Business Administration (SBA) service-disabled veteran-owned (SDVO) small business program.
- Assisted numerous clients in responding to subpoenas and/or civil investigative demands (CIDs) seeking the production of documents, answers to interrogatories, and oral testimony.
- Represented defense contractors in class action litigation alleging, among other things, RICO violations, fraud and conspiracy in connection with benefits paid to employees working abroad.
- Represented defense contractors in multiple class actions alleging violations of domestic and foreign labor laws.
- Represented government IT contractor in criminal and civil investigations by the Department of Justice (DOJ) regarding violations of the FCA and Anti-Kickback Act (AKA).
- Regularly counsels businesses with respect to investigations by the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) regarding violations of the Hazardous Material Regulations (HMR).
- Counseled executive of global logistics agency in criminal and civil investigations regarding alleged violations of Transportation Security Administration (TSA) regulations.
- Advised board of directors of a non-profit organization regarding fraud by the organization’s executive director.
- Drafted development and license agreements on behalf of a major quick service restaurant franchisor for territories located in North America, South America, Europe, and Asia.
- Conducted due diligence reviews related to the acquisition of franchise systems by private equity entities.
- Regularly drafts franchise agreements, franchise disclosure documents, and related materials for domestic and international franchisors.
- Hazardous Materials Specialist, Special Agent, Federal Aviation Administration (2002-2004)
- Civil Aviation Security Specialist, Special Agent, Transportation Security Administration (2002)
- American Bar Association (ABA)
- Virginia Bar Association (VBA)
- Received 2015 Burton Award for Distinguished Legal Writing
News & Insights
- July 11, 2016 | ArticleBloomberg BNA’s Daily Environment ReportBy Joseph S. Kakesh, P. Nicholas Peterson
- March 10, 2016 | Article
- March 8, 2016 | Press Release
- February 29, 2016 | Article
- December 2015 | Newsletter
- November 11, 2015 | Press Release
- November 4, 2015 | Press Release
- August 12, 2015 | Alert
- February 2015 | Newsletter
- January 22, 2015 | Article
- November 4, 2014 | Newsletter
- July 2014 | Newsletter
- Spring 2014 | Newsletter
- May 16, 2014 | Newsletter
- April 4, 2014 | ArticleBloomberg BNA's White Collar Crime Report
- March 31, 2014 | AlertBy Kevin J. Maynard, P. Nicholas Peterson
- January 8, 2014 | ArticleBloomberg BNA's Telecommunications Law Resource Center
- November 26, 2013 | Alert
- November 7, 2012 | Newsletter
- 2011, Issue 3 | ArticleUpdate MagazineWith permission from FDLI.