J.D., with honors, The George Washington University Law School
B.A., The University of Texas at Austin
Bar and Court Admissions
District of Columbia Bar
U.S. District Court for the District of Maryland
Nicole represents professional liability and general liability insurers in connection with coverage issues and litigation matters before the federal and state courts nationwide.
- Serves as monitoring counsel in connection with various types of professional liability policies.
- Drafts pleadings and motions in the federal and state courts on behalf of insurers in coverage litigation.
- Conducts legal research addressing a wide variety of procedural and substantive issues for clients involved in complex insurance litigation.
- Assists insurance trade associations regarding complex coverage issues, including amicus briefs supporting insurers' interests before the federal and state appellate courts and monitoring and analyzing developing case law.
- Served as pro bono counsel in a complex child custody dispute in D.C. Superior Court.
- Experience with representing relators in cases brought under the False Claims Act.
- Member of the litigation team representing Professor Alan Dershowitz in a highly-publicized defamation case in state court in Florida, which was resolved in April 2016 with the parties issuing a Joint Statement in which the opposing parties withdrew the allegations against Professor Dershowitz.
- Represented an insurance trade association participating as amicus curiae in a case before the Supreme Court of Louisiana that resulted in a favorable decision for insurance companies under Louisiana law. Arceneaux, et al. v. Amstar Corp., et al., No. 2015-C-0588 (La. Sept. 7, 2016)
- Director of Government Affairs Operations, Independent Insurance Agents & Brokers of America, Inc. (2009-2012)
- Legal Intern, Office of the U.S. Attorney for the District of Columbia, Criminal Division, Fraud & Public Corruption Section (2013)
- Judicial Intern, The Honorable Gregory E. Jackson, Superior Court of the District of Columbia (2012)
- Scheduler and Executive Assistant, Office of Congresswoman Kay Granger (2008-2009)
- Staff Assistant, Office of Senator Kay Bailey Hutchison (2007-2008)
- American Bar Association (ABA)
- Bar Association of the District of Columbia (BADC)
- Maryland State Bar Association (MSBA)
News & Insights
- January 2017 | Newsletter
- December 2016 | Newsletter
- November 2016 | NewsletterInsured Lawyers’ Material Misrepresentations Warrant Rescission and Coverage also Barred by Prior Knowledge Exclusion
- October 2016 | ArticleEmployee Stock Ownership Plan Participant Cannot Pursue Fiduciary Breach and Bad Faith Claim Against Insurer of Plan’s FiduciariesPLUS Journal Vol. XXIX, No. 10Nicole Audet Richardson
- October 11, 2016 | Newsletter
- September 2016 | NewsletterEmployee Stock Ownership Plan Participant Cannot Pursue Fiduciary Breach and Bad Faith Claim Against Insurer of Plan’s Fiduciaries
- July 2016 | NewsletterDue to Lack of Notice, E&O Carrier Has No Duty to Indemnify Insured Auto Insurer’s Settlement Payment Stemming from Bad Faith Claim
- July 2016 | Newsletter
- June 2016 | NewsletterCompetitor’s Claims That Broker Engaged in Unfair Business Practices Involve Professional Services and Are Not Precluded by the “Unfair Competition of Any Type” Exclusion
- April 19, 2016 | Speaking EngagementStrafford Webinar
- April 2016 | NewsletterCoverage Barred For Hedge Fund’s Suit Against Insured Because Related to Prior Securities Class Action
- April 2016 | NewsletterClaimant Without a Judgment Has No Standing to Bring Declaratory Judgment Action Against Alleged Tortfeasor’s Insurer
- February 2016 | NewsletterNinth Circuit Finds “Related Wrongful Acts” Term is Unambiguous and Encompasses a Broad Range of Acts
- February 2016 | NewsletterPolicy Rescinded And Voided Ab Initio For Failure to Disclose Professional Responsibility Grievance Investigation of Insured Officer
- January 2016 | Newsletter
- December 23, 2015 | ArticleLaw360Nicole Audet Richardson, Laura Lee Miller
- November 2015 | NewsletterTenth Circuit Holds that Implied Duty to Investigate and Initiate Settlement Negotiations Does Not Extend to Excess Insurer
- November 2015 | NewsletterInsurer’s Suit for Declaration that Multiple Claims Constitute a Single Claim Must Await Resolution of Insured’s Liability
- November 4, 2015 | Press Release
- October 28, 2015 | ArticleLaw360Nicole Audet Richardson, Marc E. Rindner
- October 2015 | NewsletterInsurer’s Declaratory Judgment Action Stays in Federal Court Despite Parallel State Court Proceeding Initiated by Insured
- September 2015 | NewsletterNotice Outside Policy’s 30 Day Reporting Requirement Untimely As a Matter of Texas Law Notwithstanding Lack of Prejudice
- August 2015 | Newsletter
- July 2015 | Newsletter
- May 2015 | Newsletter
- May 2015 | NewsletterInsurer Has Duty to Defend under Claims-Made Policy Where Insured Potentially Received Notice of the Claim During the Policy Period
- March 2015 | NewsletterInsurer Not Liable for Bad Faith in Absence of Special Relationship with Insured or Unreasonable Denial of Coverage