J.D., Columbus School of Law, The Catholic University of America
B.A., University of Virginia
Bar and Court Admissions
District of Columbia Bar
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
Parker represents insurers in coverage litigation under general liability and professional liability policies before the federal and state courts across the country. He provides advice and counsel on a wide range of insurance issues including directors and officers liability, lawyers liability, environmental liability, technology and emerging issues, and nuclear liability.
- Represents insurers in coverage litigation in the federal and state courts, including motions practice, engaging in discovery, briefing, and trial.
- Counsels insurance trade associations regarding complex coverage issues, including drafting amicus briefs supporting insurers' interests before the federal and state appellate courts and monitoring and analyzing developing case law.
- Serves as coverage and monitoring counsel in connection with claims arising under various types of professional liability policies, including claims involving securities fraud, technology-based products and services, computer network security breaches, data loss, online and offline media content activities, and legal malpractice.
- Regularly counsels insurers in matters involving directors and officers and financial institution liability policies in connection with shareholder and derivative litigation including representing insurers' interests in litigation and alternative dispute resolution (ADR) procedures.
- Counsels insurers under nuclear liability policies.
- Serves as defense counsel for professionals in complex professional liability actions.
- American Bar Association (ABA), Section of Litigation, Insurance Coverage Litigation Committee
- Co-Chair, Professional Liability Subcommittee
- Federal Bar Association (FBA)
- The Federalist Society
- Virginia Bar Association (VBA)
- Trustee, Washington Lawyers' Committee for Civil Rights and Urban Affairs
- Named one of City Year Washington, DC's Idealists of the Year (2015), an honor given to individuals who impact the lives of others through service and volunteerism
- Named one of DC's "Rising Stars" for Insurance Coverage by Super Lawyers magazine (2014-2016)
- Recipient of Washington Lawyers' Committee Outstanding Achievement Award for pro bono work on parole cases
News & Insights
- November 2016 | Newsletter
- November 4, 2016 | ArticleLaw360Edward R. Brown, Parker J. Lavin
- March 2016 | Newsletter
- February 25, 2016 | ArticleLaw360Parker J. Lavin, Jessica N. Gallinaro
- December 2015 | NewsletterThird Circuit Holds That “Renewal” Policy Must Have “The Same, Or Nearly The Same, Terms” As Original Policy
- November 11, 2015 | Press Release
- November 2015 | NewsletterExclusions Bar Coverage Under Employee Benefits Liability Policy for Claims Arising From Alleged Underfunding of Pension Plan
- November 4, 2015 | Press Release
- October 2015 | NewsletterSettlement Communications Within Ten Days Of Mediation Protected From Discovery In Coverage Litigation By California’s Mediation Privilege
- August 2015 | Newsletter
- August 2015 | NewsletterAdversaries In Litigation Prohibited From Assigning Legal Malpractice Claim Arising From Same Litigation
- July 2015 | NewsletterCourt Holds Shareholder Litigation and Adversary Proceeding Arising From Same Merger Are Separate Claims
- July 2015 | NewsletterCourt Stays Litigation of Certain Coverage Defenses, Allows Others To Proceed Pending Resolution of Underlying Litigation
- June 2015 | NewsletterClaim First Made After Policy Period But During Extended Reporting Period Does Not Trigger Coverage Under Claims-Made-And-Reported Policy
- April 23, 2015 | Press Release
- March 4, 2015 | Tucson, AZ | Speaking EngagementABA's 2015 Insurance Coverage Litigation Committee CLE SeminarParker J. Lavin, Speaker
- February 2015 | Newsletter
- November 14, 2014 | Press Release
- April 25, 2014 | Press Release“Super Lawyers” Recognizes 66 Wiley Rein Attorneys in Washington, DC Area Across 18 Areas of the Law
- March 7, 2014 | Tucson, AZ | Speaking EngagementABA Section of Litigation's Insurance Coverage Litigation Committee CLE SeminarParker J. Lavin, Speaker
- January 23, 2014 | Speaking EngagementA Review of Hot Issues and Critical Case Updates: The Complex Insurance Coverage Litigation Association's Work in 2013Laura A. Foggan, Speaker, Parker J. Lavin, Speaker
- June 12, 2013 | Newsletter
- March 1, 2013 | Tucson, AZ | Speaking EngagementABA Section of Litigation's Insurance Coverage Litigation Committee CLE SeminarParker J. Lavin, Speaker
- January-February 2013 | ArticleRecurring Coverage Issues in Employment Practices Liability InsuranceABA’s Insurance Coverage, Vol. 23, No. 1
- September 2012 | ArticleCA Supreme Court Adopts 'All-Sums-with-Stacking' RuleThe Insurance Coverage Law Bulletin
- March 28, 2012 | Speaking EngagementNALP Foundation and West LegalEdcenter Leading Law Firm Professional Development SeriesParker J. Lavin, Panelist
- July 2011 | ArticleFourth Circuit Finds No Coverage for Regulatory CERCLA Cleanup Under Maryland LawThe Insurance Law Coverage Bulletin, Volume 10, No. 6Laura A. Foggan, Parker J. Lavin
- March 4, 2011 | Tucson, AZ | Speaking EngagementDemystifying the Discovery Process in the Modern Coverage ActionInsurance Coverage Litigation Committee CLE Seminar for the ABA Section of LitigationParker J. Lavin, Speaker
- March 3, 2011 | ArticleDemystifying the Discovery Process in the Modern Coverage ActionABA Insurance Coverage Litigation Committee CLE Seminar MaterialsParker J. Lavin
- January 2011 | ArticleIndiana Appellate Court Bound by Precedent in finding Pollution Exclusion AmbiguousThe Insurance Law Coverage Bulletin, Volume 9, No. 12Laura A. Foggan, Parker J. Lavin