J.D., Georgetown University Law Center
B.A., summa cum laude, Fordham University; Phi Beta Kappa
Bar and Court Admissions
District of Columbia Bar
New York Bar
Ralph is a former federal prosecutor whose practice focuses on the defense of criminal and civil government enforcement actions, corporate internal investigations, and political and congressional investigations. Recognized by Chambers USA as having “a wealth of experience” (2014) and "deep credibility with DOJ prosecutors" (2016), Ralph regularly defends companies and their executives in complex cases involving alleged health care fraud, the False Claims Act (FCA), the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA), antitrust, contract, grant and procurement fraud, whistleblower allegations, and securities fraud. He has defended hospitals, insurance companies, major defense contractors, financial institutions, and manufacturers and has extensive experience handling internal investigations and grand jury matters and responding to criminal subpoenas and civil investigative demands. Ralph is a member of the firm's Management Committee.
- Represented several hospitals and defense contractors in FCA investigations.
- Represented several high-level executives in a range of industries in criminal antitrust investigations, Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) investigations, and FCPA investigations.
- Represented executives in several criminal investigations relating to off-label marketing of medical devices.
- Represented a developer of private military housing in a FCA investigation.
- Defended an antitrust investigation of the nation's largest privately held scrap metal company.
- Represented numerous individuals in public corruption investigations, including a U.S. senator and a member of the U.S. House of Representatives.
- Defended several lobbyists, developers, and congressional and Executive branch officials in congressional and public corruption investigations.
- Represented a prominent nonprofit corporation in a congressional investigation relating to pharmaceutical pricing.
- Routinely represents companies in connection with procurement fraud, FCA, FCPA, Anti-Kickback Act, and other civil and criminal fraud allegations and issues.
- Regularly represents clients on subpoena matters, civil investigative demands, internal investigations, and criminal and civil government investigations.
- Assistant U.S. Attorney, United States Attorney's Office for the District of Columbia (1990-1995)
- Focused on the investigation and prosecution of white collar criminal matters
- Prosecuted numerous jury trials in both the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia and the Superior Court of the District of Columbia and argued appeals before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit and the District of Columbia Court of Appeals
- Recipient of Special Achievement Awards from the U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ) for his work as a prosecutor and special commendations from the Secret Service and the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) for his successful prosecution of complex financial fraud cases
- American Bar Association, Criminal Justice Section, White Collar Crime Committee
- Edward Bennett Williams Inn of Court
- William B. Bryant Inn of Court
- Board of Directors, Fordham University Club of Washington, DC
- Course Advisor, Effective Prosecution of Financial and Cyber Crime, International Law Institute
- Board Member, Washington Legal Foundation, Legal Policy Advisory Board
- Out-of-State, Post 2, Board of Governors, State Bar of Georgia (2012-2014)
- Assistant United States Attorneys' Association for the District of Columbia
- President (2002, 2012)
- Included in Legal Media Group's Expert Guides: White-Collar Crime (2016)
- Listed by Chambers USA as one of "America's Leading Lawyers for Business" in Litigation: White-Collar Crime & Government Investigations (2014-2016)
- Named one of DC's "Super Lawyers" for Criminal Defense: White Collar by Super Lawyers magazine (2013-2016)
- Included in The Best Lawyers in America directory for Criminal Defense: White-Collar Law (2009-2017)
- Received 2015 Burton Award for Distinguished Legal Writing
- Named one of "Washington's Top Lawyers" by Washingtonian magazine (2008-2012)
- Named a "Life Sciences Star" for outstanding Government Enforcement/Investigation work in Euromoney's LMG Life Sciences (2015)
News & Insights
- June 17, 2016 | Media MentionRisk & Insurance
- June 9, 2016 | Online Webinar | SpeakerThe Foreign Corrupt Practices Act: 2016 Enforcement and Compliance PrioritiesWiley Rein
- June 6, 2016 | Washington, DC | SpeakerInternational Law Institute
- May 13, 2016 | Indian Wells, CA | SpeakerABA's 26th Annual National Institute on Health Care Fraud
- May 2, 2016 | AlertDOJ Compliance Counsel, VimpelCom Resolution, and FCPA Pilot Program Highlight Opportunities Presented for Telecom Industry by Robust Compliance, Self-disclosure, and Cooperation in Foreign Bribery Cases
- April 28, 2016 | Washington, DC | PanelistABA's Seventh National Institute on Internal Corporate Investigations and Forum for In-House Counsel
- April 2016 | Newsletter
- March 2016 | Newsletter
- March 10, 2016 | Article
- February 29, 2016 | Article
- January 20, 2016 | Newsletter
- December 2015 | Newsletter
- December 2, 2015 | Press Release
- June 11, 2015 at Noon - 1 pm | Wiley Rein Webinar | Speaker
- April 20, 2015 | Phoenix, AZ | Speaker2015 Blue National Summit
- February 4, 2015 | Wiley Rein Webinar | Speaking EngagementTaking it to the States: Recent Developments and Trends in State False Claims Act Matters
- January 28, 2015 | Newsletter
- January 27, 2015 | ArticleBloomberg BNA’s Federal Contracts ReportBy Gregory M. Williams, Ralph J. Caccia
- January 22, 2015 | Article
- November 2014 | ArticleBriefing Papers
- October 16, 2014 | Media MentionBloomberg BNA
- September 24, 2014 | Media MentionSonali Gunawardhana Previews Upcoming AdvaMed Panel on the Department of Justice’s Focus on Safety and FDA cGMP EnforcementMed Device Online
- June 27, 2014 | AlertBy Ralph J. Caccia, Mark B. Sweet
- June 27, 2014 | Speaker
- June 24, 2014 | Chicago, IL | SpeakerInside Recent FCPA Settlements and Declinations: What They Reveal about the Impact of Voluntary Disclosures on the Penalty AwardedACI's 6th Chicago FCPA Boot Camp
- June 6, 2014 | Washington, DC | SpeakerSettlement of an FCA Procurement Case10th National Institute on the Civil False Claims Act and Qui Tam Enforcement
- April 4, 2014 | ArticleBloomberg BNA's White Collar Crime Report
- March 28, 2014 | AlertBy Ralph J. Caccia, Brandon J. Moss
- Winter 2014 | Newsletter
- February 18, 2014 | Press Release
- February 14, 2014 | ArticleBloomberg BNA's International Trade Daily Bulletin; Bloomberg BNA's International Trade Reporter
- February 2014 | Article
- February 7, 2014 | Media MentionHarvard Law School Forum on Corporate Governance
- February 5, 2014 | ArticleThe Harvard Law School Forum on Corporate Governance and Financial Regulation
- January 29, 2014 | New York, NY | SpeakerWhat Every Legal Practitioner Should Know About State-Level False Claims Statutes, Cases, and Enforcement: An In-depth Review of State-Specific Statutes, Big Ticket Cases, and Emerging Risk FactorsACI's Advanced Forum on False Claims & Qui Tam Enforcement
- January 9, 2014 | SpeakerBest Practices in Internal InvestigationsFederal Publications Seminars
- January 8, 2014 | ArticleBloomberg BNA's Telecommunications Law Resource Center
- December 19, 2013 | Speaker
- August 12, 2013 | San Francisco , CA | ModeratorAnatomy of a False Claims Act Case: Investigation, Prosecution, and Defense of False Claims Act CasesABA's Section of Public Contract Law 2013 Annual Meeting
- July/August 2013 | ArticleThe Metropolitan Corporate Counsel
- June 24, 2013 | Alert
- May 15, 2013 | Article
- December 2012 | AlertFCPA: What the DOJ and SEC’s Long-Awaited Guidance Means for BusinessThe Metropolitan Corporate Counsel Volume 20, No. 12
- November 2012 | Newsletter
- June 27, 2012 | Press Release